Shite in Miniature II

Split_Pin

Last year the widow of my best mate asked if I would help sell his model railway and diecast collection,last week about 50% of it went to auction and realised just under £6500.00!!

But the star of the show was this,estimated at £150 to £200,the hammer fell at £460.00!

post-4998-0-74492600-1456522669_thumb.jpg

Rummaging in one of my many boxes of old models I found one of the crappy plastic Hornby Sierras that at one time were all you could get if you wanted a modern car in 1/76 scale. It was of no use just sitting in the box and no one would want to buy it so this happened.

24720140843_69ee1d966a_c.jpg

Doesn't look too bad I suppose.

i did a proper shit buyage the other day, while at a toyfair up at Locomotion museum in Shildon.

so behold, the 10 bob Saladin Armoured car, and 10 bob DUKW.

post-18270-0-44768500-1456688716_thumb.jpg

for the younger viewers, 10 bob is 50p.(bob been a slang term for a shilling, in the old money and worth 5 new pennies)

and while the armoured car is i believe missing most of its gun i've never seen a whole one....

post-18270-0-85267700-1456688695_thumb.jpg

both are original Lesney Matchbox, and while been a funny scale and not all that detailled these have a charm all of their own. the armoured car will get at some point a coat of olive drab green paint, while the DUKW will be left as it is, for now.

not only that i got this off of the bay of fleas, for a massive 99p.

its a Husky Commer walk through van.

post-18270-0-75046900-1456688989_thumb.jpg

not a brand i remember ut agian i like it, though when i got it the van was as rough as a badgers arse..... with very little green paint left on it.

post-18270-0-08140800-1456689045_thumb.jpg

so as i had some yellow in a Humbrol tin, its got given a fresh coat of paint.

post-18270-0-54982300-1456689004_thumb.jpg

the wee red doors actually slide on, in the manner of all the great vans of yester year, and there is even a chap driving it!

post-18270-0-58887400-1456689025_thumb.jpg

these are a make that i am going to keep more of a look out for in future.

Husky were fore-runners to Corgi Junior, made by Mettoy/Playcraft in the Matchbox size for, originally, Woolworths. 

They were blister packed and had "chromed" plastic bases, quite fragile.   They did progress to diecast base (my Commer Walk-Thru is on one) and many of the castings ended up as Corgi Juniors. 

Some nice subjects including this Commer and a Forward Control Land Rover, a Mk 3 Zephyr 6 Estate and some lesser modelled Yanks were made...

I still have, and several others!  I'm old enough to have had these new and yes, I kept them.  Most have had at least a few coats of paint by now and some are very battered, but they're part of my childhood.... one of the better bits, lol.

They did a "gold plated" Mk10 as well, bit like some of the Corgi Toys.   I had one but it flaked really badly and went yellow! 

Still got the blue one and a Fire Chief with diecast bases.  

That Thunderbird originally came with a little black tonneau over the rear seats - like the fullsize '61 Sports Roadster.   And the Anglia van had little tellies in the back, a ladder and TV aerial.    I liked Huskies a lot!

Some of the Husky stuff is near enough 1/76 scale so I have a few too. Like everyone else I have the fire chief Mk10 Jag, the FC Land Rover, a couple of Lancia Flaminias and no fewer than 5 Citroen DS Safaris - I don't know how I ended up with so many Citroens but oddly there are 2 different sizes.

Some of the Husky stuff is near enough 1/76 scale so I have a few too. Like everyone else I have the fire chief Mk10 Jag, the FC Land Rover, a couple of Lancia Flaminias and no fewer than 5 Citroen DS Safaris - I don't know how I ended up with so many Citroens but oddly there are 2 different sizes.

The Mk10 Jags came in 2 different sizes as well,the larger ones had metal bases.

I was looking for two BX series 2 1986 on, hatch to represent my red GTi and an estate to represent my blue 19RD. Both in 1/43 but this was the best I could find, a series 1 car.

There's a few BXs by Kess Scale Models. They are very nice but also a bit on the pricey side. Tenet are nice though.