Shite in Miniature II

Split_Pin

9 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

Never seen the Ford Torino on that list…

So far I’ve only got:   
8100 Chevelle wagon (blue).   
8107 Pontiac GTO (white).   
8114 Plymouth Barracuda (white).   
8116 Chevrolet Impala Taxi.    
8118 Ford Thunderbird (blue)

This is the Ford Torino, it's a '68 Fastback

1_cd2e5e129a2778b3ed52cc63bf646219.jpg.f230601e3f36b53446423bfe9f0fb9bc.jpg

Never going to see one of those so will have to console myself with the plastic Funmate '71 Torino GT example!

IMG_0335.JPG

Back here there is just:

8108 Buick Riviera ('66)
8110 Cadillac Eldorado ('67)
8112 Dodge Charger ('67)

Any the others were either 1) unobtainium, 2) missing parts, 3) or was outbid ...probably by you! 

15 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

Postman brought me some treasures today. One of them from far off lands!

Dinky Holden EJ     
One I’ve been after for a while. Unusual prototype for a British toy company to make but looks fantastic non the less. Really nice looking car this.

IMG_2132.thumb.jpeg.1c0488c2fec11516ee822c1dc5f3e7d4.jpeg

That's a nice looking model, shades of FB Victor at the front.

If anyone is into Australian motors then you might want to track down the TRAX range of diecasts.

Here's a nice set from them of the EJ

DSCF1681.thumb.JPG.0858f17012476ae0cf5eda7f9e56aee9.JPG

DSCF1686.thumb.JPG.d7858388573053e01458a11530c23e17.JPG

Looks best in gold

DSCF1683.thumb.JPG.1577e180bb0c1b3e9b752db8b43f07ed.JPG

DSCF1682.thumb.JPG.0f9bda96abd7391054296da0f4c100be.JPG

DSCF1684.thumb.JPG.ffbbe4a2432fb4decd858d4672e39b7d.JPG

DSCF1685.thumb.JPG.f3f201d4549758c013ef41ee366462e4.JPG

DSCF1679.thumb.JPG.6d2f3ff2dc2970c5fa691ac6b68dc8b5.JPG

DSCF1678.thumb.JPG.13c15911724fe68dde940ae11807052e.JPG

DSCF1677.thumb.JPG.4d2b3bec6e429d540f602913b9879cde.JPG

43 minutes ago, flat4alfa said:

This is the Ford Torino, it's a '68 Fastback

1_cd2e5e129a2778b3ed52cc63bf646219.jpg.f230601e3f36b53446423bfe9f0fb9bc.jpg

Never going to see one of those so will have to console myself with the plastic Funmate '71 Torino GT example!

IMG_0335.JPG

Back here there is just:

8108 Buick Riviera ('66)
8110 Cadillac Eldorado ('67)
8112 Dodge Charger ('67)

Any the others were either 1) unobtainium, 2) missing parts, 3) or was outbid ...probably by you! 

That Torino looks lovely! I guess it’s a rare one then?

I’ll have to get all mine together. At the moment they’re all either in boxes ready for a house move or on the mantelpiece waiting to go into boxes. I’m not meant to be buying more really until after the move… but… you know!😅

14 hours ago, FakeConcern said:

I didn't really want a MIB or Card or whatever, but this was the cheapest I've seen this colour scheme Morris Mini so I bought it

IMG_6997.thumb.JPG.272b434965c9cbe6e87b5eb4fc0425ad.JPG

So now my question is, how do I get the packet open without ruining it? I don't really see the point having the think sealed up in a bubble particularly when it's one that has a detachable chassis...

I did a little test piece with lighter fluid on an old Matchbox here

3 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

I’ll have to get all mine together. At the moment they’re all either in boxes ready for a house move or on the mantelpiece waiting to go into boxes. I’m not meant to be buying more really until after the move… but… you know!😅

I think I can help there

Continue to buy, but have them sent to my house.  I can then check them over and fondle them until you are ready to receive 

1 hour ago, FakeConcern said:

Or shall I just rip the fuckin' thing off?

I would - or at least try to remove the blister from the card as neatly as possible, if you want to keep the packaging too. I use a steel nailfile to try to lever apart plastic and cardboard with minimal tearing. Usually it's not too messy.

I kinda like the current crop of packaging illustrations on both Matchbox and Hot Wheels, and would probably prefer to keep the unblemished backing cards if I could - but haven't had much luck with either acetone or lighter fluid when it comes to loosening the adhesive.

But older, more-or-less generic backing cards like that on your Mini; I wouldn't feel too bad about binning.

While certain Hot Wheels toys do seem to have a degree of scarcity and a higher value on the secondhand collector market, they were still churned out in their millions. The adult collector market and online auctions ensures there will always be plenty of unopened examples in circulation for those who feel that's important - but for me, I like to handle them.

15 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

I would - or at least try to remove the blister from the card as neatly as possible, if you want to keep the packaging too. I use a steel nailfile to try to lever apart plastic and cardboard with minimal tearing. Usually it's not too messy.

I kinda like the current crop of packaging illustrations on both Matchbox and Hot Wheels, and would probably prefer to keep the unblemished backing cards if I could - but haven't had much luck with either acetone or lighter fluid when it comes to loosening the adhesive.

But older, more-or-less generic backing cards like that on your Mini; I wouldn't feel too bad about binning.

While certain Hot Wheels toys do seem to have a degree of scarcity and a higher value on the secondhand collector market, they were still churned out in their millions. The adult collector market and online auctions ensures there will always be plenty of unopened examples in circulation for those who feel that's important - but for me, I like to handle them.

I think you're probably right, I'm not expecting to sell it on ebay anyway so value doesn't really come into it. It just seems a shame to ruin something that's been kept well since 2006.

And thank you to all those who answered this question

3 hours ago, sierraman said:

Those R4 look glorious, I wonder if they’re a straight rip off of the Bburago R4, the one I have looks identical.

It would be interesting to compare them, even from a picture of the one above. The Bburago examples have the last incarnation of the front fascia though and the opening doors would have needed modification to accept glazing.

I'll Google them and get a good close up and check against mine. If I were there, one would have been coming home with me for sure.

23 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

It would be interesting to compare them, even from a picture of the one above. The Bburago examples have the last incarnation of the front fascia though and the opening doors would have needed modification to accept glazing.

I'll Google them and get a good close up and check against mine. If I were there, one would have been coming home with me for sure.

The Bburago one is not quite the last one, it’s a pre 1983 one with no side mouldings. Sad I know but I was reading a road test of one last night...

Not going to write war and peace about this one (you're welcome), but after the Metro I posted last, I inevitably succumbed and spent money that I haven't got on something I don't need.

Except I so do.

20230603_141052.thumb.jpg.cd5679a35a9494f122286c918be490f2.jpg

My excuse for buying it is that, having owned an Acclaim as my first car, when I was 17 back in 1998, it was inevitable that I'd own the model at some point. Of course, mine was finished in Champagne (BL for beige) and didn't have hilariously over-sized door mirrors to operate the steering with, but still, it's the closest I'll ever have to a model of ELR 90Y (Elroy to its fans)

And it isn't a bad model; attention to detail is good, down to the accurately picked out side rubbing strips, and the (unique to this model?) wheels have a stab at representing the pattern of holes found on the Acclaim's standard 13in steelies.

20230603_141101.thumb.jpg.59efe15d52d0b32afa8c41d0ebc03166.jpg

I had to have this version, too, and in this packaging, which closely resembles the Acclaim dealer literature that would have been in circulation at the time, circa 1981 – when both the Acclaim and yours truly were brand new. The packaging has obviously had its window replaced prior to sale, so it isn't 100% original, but I doubt there are many survivors anyway. 

1325546612_Screenshot2023-06-06at20_51_40.thumb.png.11a19a6e0c10d9d1982e5aff600ffd0a.png

I didn't fancy the driving school version, with its enormous roof-mounted steering wheel, half as much.

Sadly, it's destined to have rather a dull life with me. It'll remain in its box, undisturbed for the most part, until it eventually forms part of a legacy that some poor fucker will inherit. Which, incidentally, is exactly how I came to own ELR 90Y in the first place.

Found my old grifo. These hold special memories for me as growing up with 80s matchbox, i remember visiting my friend’s house (i was about 7/ 1987) and playing with one that her elder brothers had new the previous decade. I loved the styling and the hubs; it was the first time id seen and held an older diecast. It seemed very special even though it had a door missing.

IMG_3230.thumb.jpeg.2dc8d1b9dea35eb92bd60809d3173593.jpeg

8 hours ago, bunglebus said:

I remember having similar thoughts when I found my first regular wheel car, the Mercury wagon with the steering. I know it was somehow special, just that bit older than my Dragon Wheels and Sun Burner DeTomaso 

I liked the really late regular wheels with the separate rubber tyres. Wonder how it would look converting early superfast to one would look. 

I had the last of the regular wheels when I was about 6 years old, my favourite was the Mustang...

7140.jpg?width=2073&height=1248&id=DCD8A

followed closely by the ISO Griffo

But then Hot Wheels came along with their orange track and the regular wheels ended up at the bottom of the toy box rather quickly, only coming out for a bit of TWOC and Arson.

The final nail in the coffin for most of my Regulars was Corgi and their red Rockets track.