Shite in Miniature II

Split_Pin

58 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

Snow Cat.

SnowCatSide.thumb.jpg.89dee84cef9bc51d5cb9395b38489e69.jpg

As you've brought it up, I noticed something the other day. Some Snow Tracs have cast in lettering

Matchbox 35b Snow Trac

and some, like yours, rely on a decal

Matchbox 35b Snow Trac

I quite often spot little differences and changes when I'm going through my cars, they don't always make sense either.

Like this - the base has been altered, especially at the rear

Matchbox Dodge DaytonaMatchbox Dodge Daytona

Addition of date/scale

20220417_16394620210112_135510

Adding a towbar at least adds play value

Matchbox BMW 323i CabrioletMatchbox BMW 323i Cabriolet

When did MB start making them in Macau? I have have Superkings Datsun 240Z dated 1974 which is made there but all my other Superkings up to around the early 1980s are made in England.

Sometimes you can see where the country of manufacture has changed as the mould has had it sculpted out and the new place stamped in. I'm fairly sure I have 2 similar models made in Macau and Thailand. I think the Rancho is made in 'Macao' just to add confusion.

53 minutes ago, sierraman said:

All these old retro toys are worth big money. Remember Crash Dummies?

Still got my crash dummies car up in the loft somewhere. I played with it (crashed it) that much that parts actually started to break and I remember celotaping the roofs A pillars back together. Ahhh good times. Must hunt that down. 

Right lads and ladettes, I hae a question. But first, some context. As a bairn, I had this wee red hot wheels american saloon motor that my cousin David gave me, it could've been a polis motor. I reckon it must've been manufactured late-70s/early-80s perhaps. It had a side panel that could flip round as if it was crashed into when you threw a car into it. Anyone know what the fuck I'm dribbling on about or have one of these things? I've never seen another one since and I'm not sure what happened to it, but I'd love to buy another one lol.

7 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

You're talking about Crack-Ups!

Hot Wheels Fire Smasher

Hot Wheels Fire SmasherHot Wheels Fire SmasherHot Wheels Fire Smasher

This one's called Fire Smasher

I think that's the exact one I had. Thank you so much! By the time I got my one it had barely any of the writing/decals left so I'd be damned if I could have told you what it said. :)

3 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

I think that's the exact one I had. Thank you so much! By the time I got my one it had barely any of the writing/decals left so I'd be damned if I could have told you what it said. :)

Well you're in luck - that one is probably the easiest to find, think I've had three. The reason you thought it was a police car is because it is

Hot Wheels Crash PatrolHot Wheels Crash PatrolHot Wheels Crunch Chief

and a taxi

Hot Wheels Super Blaster

I like Crack ups!

1 minute ago, bunglebus said:

Well you're in luck - that one is probably the easiest to find, think I've had three. The reason you thought it was a police car is because it is

Hot Wheels Crash PatrolHot Wheels Crash PatrolHot Wheels Crunch Chief

and a taxi

Hot Wheels Super Blaster

I like Crack ups!

Mine was definitely the red one though, so it'll have been the fire one. It was just so much fun to futter about with the wee flippy bit as a bairn. :)

8 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

When did MB start making them in Macau? I have have Superkings Datsun 240Z dated 1974 which is made there but all my other Superkings up to around the early 1980s are made in England.

Sometimes you can see where the country of manufacture has changed as the mould has had it sculpted out and the new place stamped in. I'm fairly sure I have 2 similar models made in Macau and Thailand. I think the Rancho is made in 'Macao' just to add confusion.

I think the Superkings and the Super GTs continued to be made in the U.K. until around 1985 but the other stuff moved to Macau in about early 1983?

21 hours ago, barrett said:

Isn't vintage Action Man stuff mega valuable? I had a fair bit when I was a kid (must have been 10-15 years older than I was, picked up from boot sales) includint a motorcycle/sidecar combination. I can't remember what happened to any of it but I think I possibly sold it on when I was a teenager and even then was surprised by what it fetched. Trying to get my head round the scale of that truck - it must be absolutely massive!

I went in a shop recently that had the helicopter and scorpion tank - both boxed. They were £150 each.

On 4/21/2022 at 7:54 PM, Split_Pin said:

I'm not sure if this belongs here or not but hang it, it's my thread 🤣

A while ago I gave away my early 1980s Action Man collection to an ex-soldier after I stuck it up on Marketplace. My parents were clearing their loft and I don't really have an interest in it.

Anyway, fast forward to the weekend and my Auntie had found my 2 elder Cousin's even earlier collection so it was duly ferried down to me .

Now, I said I had no interest in Action Man however when I was a kid I absolutely loved the Jeep and trailer. I played with it until it was falling apart and was eventually crushed by my dad's MK2 Cavalier. Turns out that olive green is indeed a great camouflage.

There was a Jeep in the collection as you can see but I'd had my time with it.

20220418_124441.thumb.jpg.05c4690cd41cd4e613173b5b1f767f47.jpg20220418_115907.thumb.jpg.4e7afe543b77d73ebb906ea1cb89a575.jpg

However I was speaking to my younger Cousin the day before I got the collection and  she said she'd had been up at my Aunties tidying up and had come across the Action Man Foden truck. Sadly it was too far gone and she binned it. Now I absolutely LOVED this thing and took any opportunity I could get as a young kid to play with it when I went up to visit so I was very disappointed.

I thought I'd try and categorise the collection somewhat before the same chap, who was very excited when I messaged him again and offered him the collection (for free, as it was to me). As I rummaged through I found what I was certain was  the roof hatch of the lorry, still intact. Then a door, then another door, then all 4 bits of the dropside body, the vinyl tilt and all the intact pieces of the frame. I bagged them up and thought I'd keep them just on the slim chance that a truck came up for sale as spares and repairs.

I casually checked ebay and I could not believe it, there was a bare truck with just the cab, chassis, wheels and flatbed. No more and no less than I needed. A cheeky offer was submitted and it was mine for £25 posted.

It arrived today and I could not wait to build it up. I'm delighted with it and there was even a space waiting for it on my shelves.

20220421_185824.jpg

20220421_152801.jpg

The lorry and the Jeep are by Cherilea/Sharna who did Action Man scale vehicles. I have a boxed lorry. Great vehicle it can i think be converted to a tipper if a couple of clips are removed. Careful of the door hinges they're very fragile. They did a white UN version too i think.

The Action Man lightweight Land Rover is a cool thing, i had that as a kid that's worth looking out for.

I think Sharna were based in Manchester. Argos sold a lot of their stuff as did various catalogue companies. Look up old Argos catalogues they'll be in there. Made some cool stuff.

Cherilea were based in Blackpool.

The truck is a great toy, I'm going  to clean it up today as its a bit dusty. It's in really good condition now, bar a small tear in the vinyl tilt. Even the stickers are decent, no need for me to have to buy new ones.

I don't think its worth a great deal as it stands though. There's one on ebay with a few parts missing, some small areas of damage and no stickers for £35. Mine is in a lot better condition so I reckon another tenner on top of that, not really worth the hassle. Plus I really like it and I had a big space to spare on top of a chest of drawers and it sits just nice on there. I maybe should have kept one Action Man to drive it!

1188395442_IMG_20220104_2151112.thumb.jpg.46b27700ea9ddf11bc1bbb72719f989d.jpg

1565901853_IMG_20220104_2151272.thumb.jpg.159faf6ecd3d7fe5a063c57cc55bfedb.jpgLovely to see the big Action Man vehicles - I had a load of hand-me-downs from my older cousin, including the Foden truck (with doors and hatch present, but without the rear load cover or fold-down side bits), a Jeep with a missing bonnet, a self-propelled gun (as shown at the top left of the poster above), some bits of a howitzer, a motorbike and sidecar, and a sandy-coloured staff car that looked vaguely like an overinflated Kübelwagen.

They were all pretty well used when they passed to me, and even more used whenever I sent them on their way - think I sold them at a car boot sale when I was in my late teens. The SPG seems to have been a Palitoy item, but I'm not sure whether my Jeep was by them as well or another toymaker.

Would have been nice to have them still, but they were pretty big!

35 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Which Matchbox are in the One Below? 

There wasn't much in One Below other than the MGB. 

Blue Willys Jeep, Red and beige Jeep Wrangler, Blue Jag F Type and some modern mini bus/van thing. All in the boxes not the blisters, It had been well picked over though.

10 hours ago, bunglebus said:

Is that a standardised Hot Wheels MK1 too?

Yes. 

You can get away with sanding down the bubble arches there is just enough metal.

Ditched the spotlights and filled the bumper with a split pin added some MBX wheels.

IMG_20201231_112034.thumb.jpg.a2183b8051c3ae6c5d0d29ce743d2b93.jpg

IMG_20201231_112020.thumb.jpg.eaf435df97cf5f3cea645b5574be325f.jpg

IMG_20201231_112013.thumb.jpg.14e0662dbb954a7ea5a0ba727b5d5691.jpg

I need to figure out what I've posted on here.

I'll get some finished pictures up soon.

2 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Cherilea were based in Blackpool.

The truck is a great toy, I'm going  to clean it up today as its a bit dusty. It's in really good condition now, bar a small tear in the vinyl tilt. Even the stickers are decent, no need for me to have to buy new ones.

I don't think its worth a great deal as it stands though. There's one on ebay with a few parts missing, some small areas of damage and no stickers for £35. Mine is in a lot better condition so I reckon another tenner on top of that, not really worth the hassle. Plus I really like it and I had a big space to spare on top of a chest of drawers and it sits just nice on there. I maybe should have kept one Action Man to drive it!

Ah right Blackpool, ta for that must be Sharna that's Manchester I'm sure it's on the box.

It depends on the model and being boxed etc, i don't think the lorry even when boxed goes for big money but it's still cool.  Things like the Kettenkrad they did seem to go for a fair bit. 

3 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

I spent an hour cleaning this up this morning, I wanted to be careful ofnthe original stickers so I had to stick to baby wipes, cotton buds and an old make up brush.

20220423_103753.jpg

20220423_103859.jpg

Looks cool.

I had one as kid too. It was always a favourite.

Great model.

2 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

...a sandy-coloured staff car that looked vaguely like an overinflated Kübelwagen.

Found it!

german-staff-car-box.thumb.jpg.a42201949928f5f347c0dc13ef4d65c4.jpg

Seems it was indeed made by Palitoy.

I'd thought it was probably made by another manufacturer - the quality was ok, but not brilliant.

That's a very small part of my mind that can rest easy now...

52 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

Found it!

german-staff-car-box.thumb.jpg.a42201949928f5f347c0dc13ef4d65c4.jpg

Seems it was indeed made by Palitoy.

I'd thought it was probably made by another manufacturer - the quality was ok, but not brilliant.

That's a very small part of my mind that can rest easy now...

That's a cool one. Were the task force vehicles a cheaper range perhaps ? It looks more basic than the usual Action Man stuff.

Palitoy made Action Man and also a small range of vehicles. They were quite basic however. You can just make out the name on the bottom left of the top side of the box in the picture.

Cherilea came along and produced a much better range which was clearly very popular as their range of vehicles are the only ones I recall. They were unashamedly aimed squarely at Action Man but were never marketed as such, instead the boxes said suitable for all 12" Action Figures. However that pretty much meant Action Man.

The latter must have pissed off Palitoy no end as both ranges were shown together in catalogues.

According to Google, Cherilea appeared to dissolve around 1991.