Shite in Miniature II

Split_Pin

4 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

Some weeks ago I stumbled across a chap on Facebook selling off his late uncle's Vanguards collection.  He offered them for open auction and while I did like several enough to bid, I didn't win any.  At least, I thought I didn't.  One bloke outbid everybody on a variety of lots; some singles, some joblots.  Then as soon as the seller tried to make contact, he disappeared.  So the seller posted that he would honour the last bid on each of these lots, and one of them was mine.  Today a little box arrived containing my purchases.

DSCN3431.thumb.JPG.aa0aebd4c284dfa79576affd34896a20.JPG

We all know how I like a PA Cresta, right?  I got this joblot of three for £12 plus postage.  And they're lovely.  Now... anyone got a good method of removing the transfers without damaging the paint?

I had a yellow/cream PA Cresta taxi in my model railway. Will probably be up the loft with the other stuff now.

Me one Christmas. Army vehicles was that years theamed presents.

Honest John Missile, Quad and 25 ponder, another gun. There was the tank and transporter too. Plus some dispatch riders. I think the dispatch riders were made by Britons and the rest by Dinky.

MeChristmas.thumb.jpg.bfe0c53929a134d1235ae2677496152c.jpg

Here is what I still have. The Quad but some eyes and hooks for towing are broken.

25PoundeFieldGunRear.thumb.jpg.d9b7185f89c459a8fde2516bb8844222.jpg25PoundeFieldGunFront.thumb.jpg.21266753bd7c1d69b334fb9e2242c9ae.jpg

The single 25 pounder gun. That too may have been made by Britain. There is a  mechanism which would allow the firing of broken matchsticks from the barrel.

25Pounder.thumb.jpg.97b258311157a2cb7c3a409fc76a6ace.jpg

The tank with now knackered tracks.

CenturionBase.thumb.jpg.8a7918a541052a181ff1adab98cb727f.jpg

CenturionTop.thumb.jpg.91ca976191da82d81f7a30bc06dc2175.jpg

and last of all the Thornycroft Antar tank transporter.

ThorneycroftAntarFront.thumb.jpg.329bbbcf6167b3f15aeb399aeb2a8ba4.jpg

ThorneycroftAntarSide.thumb.jpg.f04e79345e96f314135afb722cb30c7a.jpg

25 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

The single 25 pounder gun. That too may have been made by Britain. There is a  mechanism which would allow the firing of broken matchsticks from the barrel.

I have that 25 pounder somewhere. As well as firing matches, you could tear a cap from a roll and place it so the plunger becomes a striker and it it goes bang, with a nicely warlike smell of cordite.

4 hours ago, junkyarddog said:

A couple of last weekend's car boot sale finds.

Boxed Majorette. 

20220118_162003.thumb.jpg.5b2b69fa240889c62b5376896c748111.jpg

I don't know if you remember, but I kept seeing one of these at my local boot sale, and every week walked away as the woman wanted too much money. Think I got it for a two or three quid in the end - bet you probably didn't pay much more!

20210711_143519

6 hours ago, Remspoor said:

Me one Christmas. Army vehicles was that years theamed presents.

Honest John Missile, Quad and 25 ponder, another gun. There was the tank and transporter too. Plus some dispatch riders. I think the dispatch riders were made by Britons and the rest by Dinky.

MeChristmas.thumb.jpg.bfe0c53929a134d1235ae2677496152c.jpg

Here is what I still have. The Quad but some eyes and hooks for towing are broken.

25PoundeFieldGunRear.thumb.jpg.d9b7185f89c459a8fde2516bb8844222.jpg25PoundeFieldGunFront.thumb.jpg.21266753bd7c1d69b334fb9e2242c9ae.jpg

25Pounder.thumb.jpg.97b258311157a2cb7c3a409fc76a6ace.jpg

The tank with now knackered tracks.

CenturionBase.thumb.jpg.8a7918a541052a181ff1adab98cb727f.jpg

CenturionTop.thumb.jpg.91ca976191da82d81f7a30bc06dc2175.jpg

and last of all the Thornycroft Antar tank transporter.

ThorneycroftAntarFront.thumb.jpg.329bbbcf6167b3f15aeb399aeb2a8ba4.jpg

ThorneycroftAntarSide.thumb.jpg.f04e79345e96f314135afb722cb30c7a.jpg

I vaguely remember the three piece gun outfit, my brother got it one Xmas , probably around 69/70. All Dinky I think , came as a set.

14 hours ago, RoadworkUK said:

I have that 25 pounder somewhere. As well as firing matches, you could tear a cap from a roll and place it so the plunger becomes a striker and it it goes bang, with a nicely warlike smell of cordite.

I do not think I ever used caps. I had them for my cowboy/western pistols. I also had rockets that you throw up into the air and being nose heavy landed on the percussion cap and off they went.

Something like these.

https://www.samstoybox.com/toys/CapBombs.html

1 hour ago, Remspoor said:

I also had rockets that you throw up into the air and being nose heavy landed on the percussion cap and off they went.

Ha, yeah. I actually made something similar from Meccano, with similar bang-on-impact intent.

Paper caps-wise, I found these on Amazon, but I only really want one reel. 24 is a bit like overkill.

12 hours ago, 155V6 said:

Thanks, I'll have it please.

As it happens, I recently found a tailboard for one of those Britains trailers kicking around, though the trailer itself is long gone.

If it ever turns up again (probably languishing in the bottom of a box of diecast) I'll be sure to pop it in an envelope over to you.

On 1/18/2022 at 11:37 PM, JimH said:

I'm looking for a model of a Lotus XI to sit on my desk and ponder while I am supposed to be working. Who makes a decent one that doesn't cost a quintillion pounds. Bigger the better. 

NB. No build it yourself sort of things because I have precisely zero patience for that.

Well, I thought I'd do a cursory quick search for a 1/43 Lotus XI and suggest some De Agostini £1.99 part work magazine orphan for a few sheckles. But it seems that the XI falls into the some super cash mogul collector scene, where all items are 3 figures. Albeit beautifully detailed.

The alternative is a period release, rather dumpy looking but quite endearing Corgi casting. Came in numerous colours and still not buttons but this one on Ebay could sate your wont.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185037075438

Total fail finding a yellow Capri, been in half a dozen Tescos on my travels this week and not found any, I suspect they're putting in one per case again. Because what sells is diggers and weird electric shuttle busses, not cool cars.

There aren't even any on Aliexpress 

Rolleyes smiley 

57 minutes ago, JimH said:

Ah well. That is pretty much the conclusion I'd come to. I was hoping for something that could sit on my desk to let me ponder how to make that shape. Looking at that Corgi one the answer would seem to be, "not very well,"

I dunno, I think the Corgi model is relatively accurate. It certainly captures the 'essense' of the shape if not the precise proportions. Looks better without any paint on so you can see more of the detail. I still have, somewhere, the example I stripped and 'polished' as a child to try and replicate a bare aluminium body. Looks great and all the times I've tries to offload my childhood diecasts, I've always held on to that one.

1 hour ago, bunglebus said:

Total fail finding a yellow Capri, been in half a dozen Tescos on my travels this week and not found any, I suspect they're putting in one per case again. Because what sells is diggers and weird electric shuttle busses, not cool cars.

There aren't even any on Aliexpress 

Rolleyes smiley 

I don’t get their business model, produce loads of crap nobody wants and restrict to a tiny number a really big seller. You often think some businesses are on the lookout for a shortcut to insolvency sometimes. 

Right folks, last go at listing the remaining diecast items from the Cog Collection...

I'll not lie, this whole thing has been a much bigger task than expected in terms of sorting, taking pics, listing and dealing with the admin (and we haven't even got to packing and posting 200+ models yet), so I'm afraid this little lot will be a ONE NIGHT ONLY offer - tomorrow I'll be taking the dregs over to the market to see what Market Blokey will give me, as I desperately need the floorspace back before the weekend.

So here we go...