Shite in Miniature II

Split_Pin

26 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

You'd be looking at €600 + delivery and any duties. Not sure what other models they make but the minimum 100 doesn't have to all be the same casting, I've seen Celicas and others on eBay

Guessing they’d retail at £10 each plus postage landed in the U.K.? 

19 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Some more recent-ish arrivals...

1813753100_IMG_20210613_1224052.thumb.jpg.665f81a9603ef11f2f1d53072d19e232.jpg

Awesome, I really liked that Dinky range, early 90s iirc? I didn't know they did a Mustang, that's a super looking model. Predictably I had the Land Rover, in AA yellow. I completely agree about owning cars vicariously through their model counterparts, having had another go in my brother's Series One Landy I think the thing I like most about it is looking at it.

A couple of mildly interesting variations on the Matchbox Ford GT.

Regular Yellow wheels and regular red wheels.

Never seen red ones on this casting before.

20210615_171000.thumb.jpg.d325fee011766209a87e229bed571215.jpg

3 different colour bases on early superfast. 

20210615_171024.thumb.jpg.b8b4a63101db1cdf70da27396e425ed5.jpg

Never seen the mustard colour on a base.

As I said,mildly interesting.

Smoll Eddy just yawned when I mentioned it to him. 

22 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Some more recent-ish arrivals...

1813753100_IMG_20210613_1224052.thumb.jpg.665f81a9603ef11f2f1d53072d19e232.jpg

Courtesy of @WillCarter, these are some further attempts to right some of the many wrongs of my past (in a very limited way).

1032106646_IMG_20210613_1224312.thumb.jpg.295ab0139eaad8401a9939971ac63868.jpg

Mk1 Cortina is the green version of a blue-grey one I bought on holiday in 1990, and promptly dropped down a set of ornamental stone steps at Powerscourt, much to my chagrin.

I still have my chipped original, but I tossed the box as soon as I got it. Silly me.

One outworking of getting old seems to be that the packaging delivers as much, or possibly even more, of a nostalgia hit as the model within.

This era of Corgi Classics boasted fully transparent boxes with a card insert and background to provide a base to attach the model as well as improving the some structural integrity.

Other than UV sunlight having a tendency to cause yellowing and splitting to the clear plastic, they still look pretty good thirty years later. This one's still in great nick, though. The little streetscape behind reminds me of those paper model railway backgrounds that Peco used to make.

I'm sure I'll bore you all at some point in the future about how Corgi packaging evolved over time... I've a fair few examples of the different boxes, but by no means a complete set.

Also arriving as part of this lot were more Matchbox Dinky models:

314897323_IMG_20210613_1224412.thumb.jpg.bf9ff4ae852402d216f0a473de0951cb.jpg

The DY-16 model of the '67 Mustang fastback in metallic green is one of my all-time favourites - one of those cars that just seems to look right from every angle.

I've been advised by someone who's driven one that they're really not all that great to pilot, so I'm probably better off with one of these tiny versions than spending my hard-earned on the real thing.

As with the Cortina, this is also one I previously owned new on release in 1990 - but I stupidly threw the box away and then let the paint get chipped and the chrome rubbed away, due to carrying it around in my pocket all the time.

So again, it's a consolidation exercise more than anything else, to have a mint and boxed version along with the others.

The boxes themselves are very nicely done, and clearly the Matchbox design team put a lot of thought into retaining some heritage touches while also making them appealing to modern collectors. Like the contemporary Corgi Classics, the clear packaging around much of the model allowed for close inspection of the front, back, side and top, while the backdrop showed either a sort of soft-focus pastel townscape or a soft-focus motor show scene. Much prominence is given to the Dinky name; not so much to the Matchbox branding.

Next up:

411613929_IMG_20210613_1224222.thumb.jpg.3fe2ad198c6a750bcfb2cb2d36348754.jpg

The DY-21 Austin Mini Cooper S was one of the third batch of MB Dinkys, launched in 1991, and I remember buying an issue of Classic & Sportscar magazine with some promotional postcards included as inserts - the Mini was shown alongside the Ferrari Dino (DY-24) and Porsche 356 (DY-25).

I really liked this one at the time, but it was the same price as the others in the range despite being so tiny - so I think I felt it represented poor value for money, and instead bought the reassuringly chunky DY-13 Bentley Continental R with my pocket money.

For reasons that aren't quite clear, the Matchbox Dinky range started to become harder to find around this time, and I can remember fruitlessly trekking around model shops trying to find the latest releases.

I dunno whether they weren't shifting from the shelves, and so local retailers like Leisure World, Stewart Millar and McCulloughs stopped stocking them - or whether there were more fraught things going on behind the scenes with distribution, following the Tyco takeover of Matchbox from Universal in 1992.

I knew from Collectors Gazette that they were still on release, but any which I encountered beyond 91-92 tended to be found in chemist's shops, for some weird reason - Connor's Chemist's in Main St, and Superchem up at Springhill Shopping Centre. Not the full range or anything, just three or four random models at a time. That's where I picked up my Citroen 15CV (DY-22), Mercedes-Benz 300 SL (DY-12), Radio Times Ford E83W van (DY-4) and silver Ford V-8 Pilot (DY-5-B).

Weird.

But I never even saw the 1992 release of the white DY-28 Triumph Stag in real life until some years later, and by then I'd kinda moved up a gear into collecting Minichamps, Trofeu  and Vitesse models, which made the Matchbox Dinkys look kinda clunky and plasticky by comparison.

I also didn't know they'd produced a later 'B' version of the Stag in dark metallic green until I saw Will's example, and I have to say it looks great.

920767051_IMG_20210613_1224372.thumb.jpg.d784bffe45780b2383593fa5eaf42d19.jpg

I mean, the more recent Vanguards interpretation of the Stag kinda nails it in terms of proportions and detail, but I still think there's an awful lot of charm to this one.

In the early 1990s, most '1960s classics' models still seemed to lean towards the earlier part of the decade, so one like this from 1968 which was made right through into the 1970s was revelatory. It aligned with the real-life cars that fascinated me, and I dared to dream that one glorious day, we'd see models of Morris Marinas, Austin Allegros and MkIV Cortinas...

Lastly for this group, there's the DY-35 VW Karmann Ghia floppytop:

186415446_IMG_20210613_1224262.thumb.jpg.bf42fda7138c32f7f3563209fc751ef1.jpg

This one wasn't released until 1995, and to be honest I thought the entire Matchbox Dinky range had been canned by this point.

I never saw one of these on the shelves at the time, and wasn't even aware of its existence until I bought Charlie Mack's big Matchbox Bible a few years back.

But it's a nicely done model, in a lovely colour, and I'm very pleased with it.

I really must get all my Matchbox Dinky stuff pulled together in one place, as they're currently spread over several storage boxes.

Of course, I'm not done quite yet with this range - there's still a few more to find..

Great purchases DC! Dinkies of that era have started to pique my interest lately. I've been having a shift around of the 'main' display cabinet and can't ignore the fact that it's starting to get overrun with Ford and Vauxhall/Opel, I've not really purchased anything BMC/BL/ARG for a while, mainly because you're not really spoiled for choice in 1/43 and even stuff like Vanguards Allegros and Marinas, the castings of which are nigh on 20 years old, are creeping up in price. The Dinky MGB GT, Stag and Mini Cooper can still be got for reasonable money and just about hold their own with more recently made models.

Its stuff like that Dinky range and the introduction of Corgi Classics that really got me into 1/43 stuff, and like a few have mentioned here, for me they were game changers in that they modelled subjects from the lower, cheaper end of the market, cars that at that time could still just about be found on the roads in everyday use.  Seeing the Corgi Classics MK2 Zephyr, MK1 Cortina and Morris Minor for the first time in the massive  Romer Parrish toy shop in Middlesbrough blew my little teenaged mind!

Then, a few years later when I definitely should have been old enough to know better and had progressed on to REAL cars, came the first cars of the Vanguards range, including the Anglia 105E. I was never the same again...

38 minutes ago, junkyarddog said:

20210615_171024.thumb.jpg.b8b4a63101db1cdf70da27396e425ed5.jpg

All my early ones have yellow wheels (and no tyres) and black bases

20200712_124057

Early and late Superfast with mint green bases

20200806_17184320200807_121313

I don't know why some models get coloured bases when most are black, silver or unpainted, Wildcat dragster has a few different hues

20200414_155737

That mint green appears under some of the Ford Pickups too

20200812_135700

Trailer caravan gets a nice bit of colour-coding. I've only got one so I don't know if they're all like it

20210304_130504

Did someone order a batch of green too many?

20210425_111642

Dodge Dragster is as far as I know the casting with the widest range of colours on the base, I have these as well as black

20200414_15564420210103_101954

21 hours ago, warch said:

Awesome, I really liked that Dinky range, early 90s iirc? I didn't know they did a Mustang, that's a super looking model. Predictably I had the Land Rover, in AA yellow. I completely agree about owning cars vicariously through their model counterparts, having had another go in my brother's Series One Landy I think the thing I like most about it is looking at it.

Yeah, it seems that Matchbox released about 8-10 models a year in their Dinky range between 1989 and 1995, plus some recoloured versions, before a whole clatter of confusing reissues arrived between 1996 and 2000 which may or may not have ever reached these fair isles. I'm trying not to get all completionist about the range - but there are still a few others I'd like to track down.

It was an interesting and quite eclectic little range of vehicles, including commercials and US passenger cars. Matchbox's then-owners, Universal Toys, bought the Dinky brand from Kenner Toys in 1988 - who had gained the rights to it when they bought out Palitoy in 1985, and who in turn had acquired the defunct Dinky name when they bought up Airfix and all their sub-brands after the 1981 bankruptcy.

Such a tangled web.

Originally Matchbox planned to use the Dinky name for a new line of Commando military action toys - and apparently some pre-production models exist with Dinky branding - before changing their mind to instead launch a range of 1/43 postwar classics that would capitalise on the name's heritage to older customers, rather than trying to relaunch a failed brand of children's toys.

Universal agreed that the Yesteryears range of mostly pre-war vehicles would continue as before, but these new, larger-scale models would compete with the likes of Corgi Classics and Solido in the collector's market.

The original 1989 Dinky releases included a 1967 Jaguar E-Type convertible with the hood up, a 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air Sports Coupe, a 1965 MGB-GT, a 1949 Ford V-8 Pilot, a 1951 VW Beetle, a 1959 Cadillac Coupe De Ville and a 1949 Land Rover S1.

Commercial vehicles were represented with a 1950 Ford E83W in Heinz livery, a 1948 Commer 8CWT with Sharp's Toffee advertising, and - most spectacularly - a 1950 Mercedes 0-3500 holiday tour coach. The latter was pretty big, and came in a large cardboard presentation box, nestled in a flocked, moulded insert.

The majority of the 1989 range were made in Macau, with production then switching to China for 1990 on.

The next year brought a 1948 Tucker Torpedo, a 1955 Mercedes 300SL 'Gullwing', a 1958 Bentley Continental R, a 1946 Chapron-bodied Delahaye 145, the 1967 Ford Mustang 2+2 Fastback, and a 1952 Austin A40 van in Brooke Bond Tea colours. It also included a lightly reworked E-Type roadster with the hood now down, and a 1973 MGB-GT V8 which was the same basic casting as the '65 MG but with a different grille and other badging.

The show-stopper for 1990 was the oldest model to appear in the range - a 1939 Triumph Dolomite Roadster, again in a luxury presentation box.

The idea behind this was that the '39 Dolomite had been legendary for years among Dinky collectors, as one of six new models scheduled for launch in time for Christmas 1939 - but which never appeared due to the outbreak of WW2.  When diecast toy production finally restarted after the war, five of the six models belatedly appeared in shops - but there was no sign of the sixth, the Triumph Dolomite.

For decades rumours circulated of the existence of a handful of pre-production test models, and a Dinky Dolomite remained the diecast collector's Holy Grail - although it's now generally accepted that, if they ever even existed, the test models were either lost forever or disintegrated due to zinc pest. 

So the DY-17 Matchbox Dinky Triumph Dolomite was a nod to 'the Dinky that never was' and, uniquely for the range, came with an opening part - the dicky seat behind the cockpit could be flipped up and down.

1991 brought another flurry of new castings covering a wide range of sports and passenger cars, though no new commercials. A 1965 Triumph TR4, 1964 Mini Cooper S, 1952 Citroen 15CV, 1958 Porsche 356A and 1973 Ferrari Dino 246 made up the European contingent, while a 1956 Chevrolet Corvette and 1958 Studebaker Golden Hawk provided new US interest. The 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air was retooled as a convertible.

Many of the previous releases remained in the range, now wearing different colours - the Ford V-8 Pilot, for example, started off in black before moving to silver, and ending up wearing tan paint. Each of these variants was helpfully labelled A, B,C etc on the box, though most of the earlier models omitted the A, with only the later versions gaining a suffix.

1992 marked a slowing-down in new tooling, with only a 1968 Triumph Stag, a 1953 Buick Skylark, a 1958 Austin Healey 3500, a 1955 Ford Thunderbird and a 1957 Citroen 2CV appearing in the range.

For reasons unknown, Matchbox's new owners Tyco started to run the Dinky brand down from 1993, even going as far as to pinch a planned new Dinky release for the Yesteryears range. The 1947 Citroen Type H van was released in 1993 in six different liveries as YTF-01 to 06, as part of their 'Taste of France' collection, but it was originally slated for release as DY-33 - and this number was never used. Tyco also commandeered and modified the Dinky Land Rover and Ford E83W castings for inclusion in their Yesteryear Fire Engines range.

Although sales of Dinky branded models in new colour combinations continued, there were no new castings released in 1993 or 1994 and apparently Tyco chose not to advertise or otherwise attempt to market them to collectors. The mind boggles as to what their reasoning was.

1995 finally brought a handful of new castings, believed to have been held over from 1993, with a 1962 Mercedes 300SL convertible (based on the earlier coupe, mind), a 1960 Jaguar XK150, and the 1968 VW Karmann Ghia all finally appearing - but the end was in sight, for UK collectors at least.

From 1996, some of the earlier Dinky range was rebooted with different catalogue codes and in different colours, but again with no new castings.

In 1997, the Dinky range was subsumed under the Matchbox Collectables umbrella - which as far as I'm aware were only available as direct mail-order collections rather than through retail stockists. I had a whole load of these Collectables catalogues through the door in the early/mid-90s, trying to get me to subscribe to the Beers Of The World collection, the Horse-Drawn Collection, or the Fire Engines collection.

I didn't.

This revamped Dinky range also included a number of brand new castings of 1950s and 60s US sedans, some detailed large-scale articulated trucks previously sold under the Convoy and Superkings names, some historic military tanks, plus some former Vitesse castings of British and European sports cars and saloons. I'd be interested to know if these were ever marketed outside North America, as I've never seen any of these in real life. 

In 2000, both the Dinky and Yesteryear brands were retired by Matchbox's new owners Mattel, and their range of premium old-time models became briefly known as the Platinum range, including some aircraft, before this name was also killed off.

Apparently some former Dinky castings did survive for a while longer, now packaged as Matchbox and at lower price points, with less detail and cheaper plastic bases- but again, I don't think these were ever sold in the UK. Presumably Mattel were prioritising their Hot Wheels premiums, and didn't want second-fiddle Matchbox stealing their thunder.

The original models from the Matchbox Dinky range do still crop up fairly often for not that much (with a few exceptions for promotional Code 2 versions) - they can still be found boxed and as-new for around the £5 - £15 mark.

I find them rather more appealing than the Models of Yesteryear range, and these days, they definitely have the nostalgia factor for me...

As I've said before, I had a few which apparently were from the first batch of releases; '59 Caddy, '51 Beetle, '57 Chevy. I think the Caddy and Beetle still survive although no longer mint and the boxes are long gone. 

They're nice things but edge slightly into collector pieces rather than toys - and that's the point where I lose interest. Mine were definitely played with as toys although I would have been at least 11 and starting to get more into BMXs by that point, not that I ever lost interest in small cars.

There are a few I'll keep an eye out for such as the Karmann Ghia and Tucker, but I suspect cheap slightly worn ones aren't common, so I'll end up paying "box tax"!

I remember when my friend got the MGBGT. At the time I was unaware of a model of this car (having never seen the Dinky (or was it Corgi?) version. I thought it was a cut above the Corgi Classics as it had separate handbrake and gear lever in chrome, more detailed lights and nicer wheels. I got my own one shortly after.  It was sold along with the only other one I had in the range, a Jaguar etype with the roof down.

I managed to pick up a good but unboxed MGB again a few years ago as I wanted one again! 

I also have one of those Matchbox Trucks. Its a 1939 Peterbilt in Coca Cola Livery. Its around 1/55 scale and beautifully detailed for its time, if a tad chunky. The latter makes it a heavy piece. Definitely one of my favourite truck models. It also came in Campbell's Soup livery!

The only Matchbox Collectible I recall having was some sort of horse drawn tram type thing. It was £6 in Trago Mills in Falmouth, who sometimes did consignments of bankrupt stock etc, this would have been around 1996. Anyway it stayed in it’s box for years until I cleared out the loft as an adult at my parents house. Stuck it on eBay and it went for something like £30, which although a good return won’t see me rivalling Warren Buffett. 

Thinking on I must have been the only bloke on earth that actually made money on the whole ‘collectibles’ bollocks in the 1990’s! Unlike all those aforementioned former miners still trying to cash in their investment in a piss wet field in February. 

Well my colour trial Gulper is done, I did take some pictures in the sun last night but indoors shows how close the colour is to the real one. 

20210616_09395720210616_09384320210616_09380720210616_093754

628149105_matchbox-speedkings-38-guss-gulper_360_595f5f69572243ff63b779f714f97577(2).thumb.jpg.0b55e9ffc785953e14b91d6354cf4e7f.jpg

It pains me not to detail the lights, grille etc but that's how the original is. Anyway I have more to play with if I want to

20210615_172934

There is one deviation on mine from the original car - that had an unpainted base. I realised this half way though, but to replicate it there are 9 rivets that have to be drilled out, and none have enough material behind them to drill and tap for screws. As I have a couple of spare cars I'm going to try with another one as swapping the base is child's play. 

I'm also really thick, it took me until yesterday to realise the base is the same one as the Milligans Mill, which is why it doesn't have a K number underneath - there is one on top at the back showing K-38 and K-39 though.

20210616_093829

3 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

I remember when my friend got the MGBGT. At the time I was unaware of a model of this car (having never seen the Dinky (or was it Corgi?) version. I thought it was a cut above the Corgi Classics as it had separate handbrake and gear lever in chrome, more detailed lights and nicer wheels. I got my own one shortly after.  It was sold along with the only other one I had in the range, a Jaguar etype with the roof down.

I managed to pick up a good but unboxed MGB again a few years ago as I wanted one again! 

I also have one of those Matchbox Trucks. Its a 1939 Peterbilt in Coca Cola Livery. Its around 1/55 scale and beautifully detailed for its time, if a tad chunky. The latter makes it a heavy piece. Definitely one of my favourite truck models. It also came in Campbell's Soup livery!

Yeah, I think the arrival of Matchbox Dinky really made Corgi Classics up their game somewhat in terms of detail and finish - the sharp tampo print brightwork and badging on the MG really made it 'pop', plus as you say, the separate handbrake, gearstick and silver dashboard detailing spoke volumes about the quality. 

My 1988 release Mk2 Zephyr by Corgi looks a bit lumpen in comparison - although it has separate plated bumpers and grille, the rest of the model is just a plain navy blue. The details like rear lights and swage line are nicely cast, but there's no paint detail anywhere - they're actually less well finished than many of the 1/36 toys elsewhere in the range. Annoyingly, the bench seat quickly came adrift in mine and it's still rattling round the dingy, all-black interior. This was the first Corgi Classic I ever owned, and while I liked it well enough I could see plenty of room for improvement. Maybe this was why the Dinky range appealed to me so strongly.

Within a year or two, the Classics range gained new, more see-through packaging (more like Matchbox Dinky's, funnily enough) and started using two-tone paint and better details such as separate plastic mouldings for lights (as seen on the Mk1 Cortina).

Comparing them side-by side now, I think Dinky edged it until about 1994 for detail and 'balance' - early '90s Corgi Classics still look a bit heavy and toy-like (I'm thinking Morris Minor, Mk2 Jaguar, Bedford CA, MGA) and their clumsy efforts at spoked wheels are pretty poor. But after '95 or so, when they brought in the Mini vans and some other new castings, they really started to come into their own. 

We'll not talk about Corgi's abysmal crack at the Mini Cooper, though. I don't know how the hell those ever got through quality control. Not that Dinky's version was exactly brilliant either...

2 hours ago, sierraman said:

The only Matchbox Collectible I recall having was some sort of horse drawn tram type thing. It was £6 in Trago Mills in Falmouth, who sometimes did consignments of bankrupt stock etc, this would have been around 1996. Anyway it stayed in it’s box for years until I cleared out the loft as an adult at my parents house. Stuck it on eBay and it went for something like £30, which although a good return won’t see me rivalling Warren Buffett. 

Thinking on I must have been the only bloke on earth that actually made money on the whole ‘collectibles’ bollocks in the 1990’s! Unlike all those aforementioned former miners still trying to cash in their investment in a piss wet field in February. 

Yes, I remember receiving the flyers in the post for that horsedrawn collection - I think they had a Wells-Fargo stage coach and a Romany caravan as part of the range too, maybe around 1994. I'd guess that because they were sold via mail-order, demand had dried up by '96 and Trago Mills ended up buying whatever stock remained for cheap.

You did well!

I never miss a chance to visit the Trago Mills toy department, ever since I scored my 1:18 Solido Citroen XM in the Liskeard branch in 1994 or so.

Every time I return in the anticipation of finding a similar gem. Only 27 years of disappointment thus far...

I haven’t been in years but last time I went it was just some sort of big DIY shop type place that sold a bit of everything, watch straps, curtains etc. Given that diecast isn’t very mainstream anymore I wouldn’t make a special journey put it that way. It’s all on getting anything from the so called ‘solus’ retailer of Matchbox in the U.K. that is doubt there is a surplus. 

8 hours ago, bunglebus said:

I wonder if the postman will be calling today?

Yes.

Got this: Bburago 1/32 Ford GT Le Mans 

IMG_0147.thumb.JPG.dbf5a29af3b83a144ce936e6bbf1245f.JPG

Not really into GT-type cars that much, but thought it looked quite smart and it was offered for £8.50 posted.  It's still in the current 2021 catalogue

IMG_0153.thumb.JPG.9a09989d07d787f4930673d8348a9b91.JPG

The GREEN KNIGHT inspected it.  Die-cast body, plastic base screwed-home. 

IMG_0152.thumb.JPG.4e01c7ecce0cf13580b47edbfb268819.JPG

This is going to be a 'unique' slot effort as no-one has done the the 2017 No.66 car, raced by Sebastien Bourdais, Joey Hand and Dirk Muller, which won Daytona.

unnamed.jpg.a3c4c98ed607cd0300d4dcca317713ed.jpg

At Le Mans they finished 4th, but were disqualified for 'overfuelling'...  the maximum permitted volume for the car was 97 litres, and scrutineering revealed the Ford’s tank to hold 97.83 litres.   Those petty French b*stards.

Anyone remember my smugness a few weeks back when I finally got myself a set of these triangular drive bits, to cleanly remove partwork diecast from their stupidly screwed-on bases?

1492030821_Screenshot_20210616-1307432.thumb.png.2aaac69d54747f186692ad79c934d60d.png

Well, the joke's on me as they've gone missing from my screwdriver set.

I'm sure it was nothing to do with MrsDC, who was last seen using said set - but after a lot of fruitless searching, the inarguable fact remains I now to get myself a new set, as I'd very much like to get these recent arrivals out of their packaging and into my display cases without utterly butchering the screws:

1131462977_IMG_20210613_1229132.thumb.jpg.79a10c9f4b0caeb168e2cc02b0f6a0e6.jpg

1980704765_IMG_20210613_1229192.thumb.jpg.a77ca08718c7105f08d751130b3b3a42.jpg

1875293495_IMG_20210613_1229252.thumb.jpg.74e9a55aff0292306befcdd87302d375.jpg

584372742_IMG_20210613_1229312.thumb.jpg.d978a319989abfe954be62297f8bd1a8.jpg

They're all held in with those utterly pointless triangular screws. What's wrong with regular cross-head, or even slot screws?

So eBay advises that the seller I bought the bits from last time has whacked up his prices rightly, leaving the best value alternative to be these:

1991944926_Screenshot_20210616-1307042.thumb.png.20fdf025a256d98d83cb79fd4925cc7c.png

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6pcs-Magnetic-Triangle-Screwdriver-Bits-S2-Steel-1-4-inch-Hex-Shank-Bit-Set-/313089288821?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

They're available from China for £3.08 for this set of six, including postage, to touch down sometime in the next two to four weeks.

However, orders of four or more attract a unit price of £2.46, so my question is - would any other diecast Shiters be interested in a set of these triangular bits at this low, low price?

I ask purely because it's one of those things I meant to get for years, but it never seemed quite important enough to get off my arse and actively seek a set out.

Since I have a fair few tat boxes currently open for a number of Shiters of good standing, I'd be happy to order up as many as needed, and pop a set in along with your next dispatch.

I'll be ordering on Friday, so sure let me know if anyone else is interested!

Of course, I'll probably then find the original set on Saturday...

1 hour ago, Datsuncog said:

Anyone remember my smugness a few weeks back when I finally got myself a set of these triangular drive bits, to cleanly remove partwork diecast from their stupidly screwed-on bases?

1492030821_Screenshot_20210616-1307432.thumb.png.2aaac69d54747f186692ad79c934d60d.png

Well, the joke's on me as they've gone missing from my screwdriver set.

I'm sure it was nothing to do with MrsDC, who was last seen using said set - but after a lot of fruitless searching, the inarguable fact remains I now to get myself a new set, as I'd very much like to get these recent arrivals out of their packaging and into my display cases without utterly butchering the screws:

1131462977_IMG_20210613_1229132.thumb.jpg.79a10c9f4b0caeb168e2cc02b0f6a0e6.jpg

1980704765_IMG_20210613_1229192.thumb.jpg.a77ca08718c7105f08d751130b3b3a42.jpg

1875293495_IMG_20210613_1229252.thumb.jpg.74e9a55aff0292306befcdd87302d375.jpg

584372742_IMG_20210613_1229312.thumb.jpg.d978a319989abfe954be62297f8bd1a8.jpg

They're all held in with those utterly pointless triangular screws. What's wrong with regular cross-head, or even slot screws?

So eBay advises that the seller I bought the bits from last time has whacked up his prices rightly, leaving the best value alternative to be these:

1991944926_Screenshot_20210616-1307042.thumb.png.20fdf025a256d98d83cb79fd4925cc7c.png

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6pcs-Magnetic-Triangle-Screwdriver-Bits-S2-Steel-1-4-inch-Hex-Shank-Bit-Set-/313089288821?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

They're available from China for £3.08 for this set of six, including postage, to touch down sometime in the next two to four weeks.

However, orders of four or more attract a unit price of £2.46, so my question is - would any other diecast Shiters be interested in a set of these triangular bits at this low, low price?

I ask purely because it's one of those things I meant to get for years, but it never seemed quite important enough to get off my arse and actively seek a set out.

Since I have a fair few tat boxes currently open for a number of Shiters of good standing, I'd be happy to order up as many as needed, and pop a set in along with your next dispatch.

I'll be ordering on Friday, so sure let me know if anyone else is interested!

Of course, I'll probably then find the original set on Saturday

Ooh! I've been eyeing up the red Taunus for a while. Us miniature Ford fans have been crying out for a decent MK5/Cortina '80/Whatever for a while and those cheapy Ixo partwork jobs have answered the call. Best thing about that red one is that, being from a Greek series, it is RHD! Have had my eye on the Autoshite colour-themed 2.0 Ghia too.

Anyroad, just got in early for a change and it looks like nice postie has brought some Wednesday-tat...