Shite in Miniature II

Split_Pin

1 hour ago, diecastcollect said:

few pics of my collection here 

Lots of 1:72 hongwell + transporter sets

Cheers to Datsuncog for the 2 tesco transporters (y)

162875526_476334320382208_3809564129241453484_n.jpg

162422090_748289639222981_4946190718978134019_n.jpg

R-ace.jpg

162239013_923742981707317_923817775292623867_n.jpg

162984027_463924751519704_6129128850703841186_n.jpg

Some great sets there in your collection; Hongwell's 1/76 cars and trucks really were a cut above most comparable diecast in terms of detail and price, even though some castings were a bit better than others.

That Scania-branded tilting flatbed recovery truck is great; I have the same base but fitted with a Mercedes Actros cab.

Weird that they were mainly marketed as cheap kids' toys in the UK when they were clearly so much better than that. Most of my Hongwell collection came via Poundland around 2003-05.

I'm kinda tempted to dig the remaining ones out from my 'keep' boxes and enjoy looking at them again.

1 hour ago, flat4alfa said:

Fantastic levitation skills on the van !

I love it when a van comes together.

That's nothing. B.A could turn a fridge into an aeroplane! All he needed was a barn, a welder and a couple of hours.

31 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

I keeping looking at various size A-Team vans on eBay, but the bigger ones go for too many pennies. I do have an ERTL

20190914_194812

And most of a Hot Wheels

20200403_115530

The larger pressed steel 80s Ertl models are definitely moving northwards with their values. The van wasn't cheap, but every one I've seen since has either sold for more, or been in scruffy condition. I bought a really clean large Ertl General Lee to add to the collection at a similar time - again to replace one I owned in the early 80s. I'll have to dig it out for a photo at some point. I just need to source an original Ertl display ramp for it now!

On 8/29/2020 at 8:48 PM, flat4alfa said:

Boss Hogg Cadillac

B5BFDABA-AAD8-4123-B795-F2C8269E2B39.thumb.jpeg.5cee0f6353c1bd9b2816ccf629197d6c.jpeg

50p carboot, last month, when I blew the wallet apart

A22A7837-1587-473E-8318-4D3E602D3B2F.jpeg

Never had the General or even remember a Cooter.  I would have to avoid getting hold of the General now, in case there is a vendetta to 'cancel' my accounts by binary thought nutters.

4 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

B.A to Murdock:

"Quit messing around Murdock. I know there's only really one of you. Stop messing with my head fool!"

Hannibal to everyone else:

"Who last saw the keys to the van? We can't stay here on this worktop forever..."

Screenshot_20210323-151908_WhatsApp.jpg

Lucky sod! 

I always wanted that whole set as a kid. Great find!

4 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Some great sets there in your collection; Hongwell's 1/76 cars and trucks really were a cut above most comparable diecast in terms of detail and price, even though some castings were a bit better than others.

That Scania-branded tilting flatbed recovery truck is great; I have the same base but fitted with a Mercedes Actros cab.

Weird that they were mainly marketed as cheap kids' toys in the UK when they were clearly so much better than that. Most of my Hongwell collection came via Poundland around 2003-05.

I'm kinda tempted to dig the remaining ones out from my 'keep' boxes and enjoy looking at them again.

i never knew they were sold in poundland ? were they single boxes / blister packs ? i just remember seeing them in woolies and tesco as a young boy. even marks & sparks had a selection of hongwell sets at one point. i never forgot the very nostalgic tesco GO packaging that caught my eye when you put them up on here the first time. 

2 hours ago, diecastcollect said:

i never knew they were sold in poundland ? were they single boxes / blister packs ? i just remember seeing them in woolies and tesco as a young boy. even marks & sparks had a selection of hongwell sets at one point. i never forgot the very nostalgic tesco GO packaging that caught my eye when you put them up on here the first time. 

Poundland sold single Hongwell cars in both blister packs and in the hard cases; I got a complete set of Mk1 Capris in six different colourways, six different classic Mercedes roadsters, and six differently coloured Peugeot 206s.

On and off, they also stocked 1/72 lorries, vans and pickups (European and US); 1/87 US trucks; and a range of Coca Cola branded models in collectable tins.

For a pound!

I also picked up a number of twin packs from Poundstretcher that were even better value; a quid for two.

Tesco did the Junior Explorer sets, of course; Woolworths the Chad Valley branded transporters.

I also picked up a number of 5-model multipacks from shops like Gamleys and Model Zone, and I think some other themed playsets came from Lidl.

TK Maxx stocked quite a few sets comprising a vehicle with a trailer (often a boat or a horse box).

And you're quite right, M&S did some quite attractively packaged sets, often stocked for Father's Day or the like - I had a green Mini estate pulling a caravan from that range, in quite a large square box depicting a cardboard road. I'd forgotten about that one.

And that's not even mentioning the 1/43 stuff...

I'm sure I managed to pick up over 150 different Hongwell models over a period of 18 months from 2004 to 2006, and I don't think I paid more than £5 for any of them - mostly £1.

Unfortunately space concerns meant that I sold on about 75% of them a few years back, but I'll look out some of the old sale pics I took - just in case there's any you'd want to look out for!

But they're really appealing little models, and they make a brilliant range to collect. You're doing well to get in now while they're still fairly easy to find - I wish I'd had the sense to start buying up 1970s/80s Corgis and Matchbox a few years ago, when prices were a lot cheaper... especially the multipacks and gift sets.

34 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

Poundland sold single Hongwell cars in both blister packs and in the hard cases; I got a complete set of Mk1 Capris in six different colourways, six different classic Mercedes roadsters, and six differently coloured Peugeot 206s.

On and off, they also stocked 1/72 lorries, vans and pickups (European and US); 1/87 US trucks; and a range of Coca Cola branded models in collectable tins.

For a pound!

I also picked up a number of twin packs from Poundstretcher that were even better value; a quid for two.

Tesco did the Junior Explorer sets, of course; Woolworths the Chad Valley branded transporters.

I also picked up a number of 5-model multipacks from shops like Gamleys and Model Zone, and I think some other themed playsets came from Lidl.

TK Maxx stocked quite a few sets comprising a vehicle with a trailer (often a boat or a horse box).

And you're quite right, M&S did some quite attractively packaged sets, often stocked for Father's Day or the like - I had a green Mini estate pulling a caravan from that range, in quite a large square box depicting a cardboard road. I'd forgotten about that one.

I'm sure I managed to pick up over 150 different Hongwell models over a period of 18 months from 2004 to 2006, and I don't think I paid more than £5 for any of them - mostly £1.

Unfortunately space concerns meant that I sold on about 75% of them a few years back, but I'll look out some of the old sale pics I took - just in case there's any you'd want to look out for!

But they're really appealing little models, and they make a brilliant range to collect. You're doing well to get in now while they're still fairly easy to find - I wish I'd had the sense to start buying up 1970s/80s Corgis and Matchbox a few years ago, when prices were a lot cheaper... especially the multipacks and gift sets.

Absolutely. i was aged between 1 and 7 when i had my first hongwell stuff and unfortunately everything i got back then was ripped straight from the box and became playworn. i was fascinated by how realistic they were yet didnt even know who made them. i remember them always being about in the shops until one day they just went. (must have been about 2007/8) and never saw them on a store shelf ever again.  when i was about 10 i decided to find out what the company was called by magnifying the logo underneath one of the few trucks i had preserved. i started collecting 2 and 3 packs but grew out of it by about 12 until a year ago when i started becoming more of a serious collector (of vinyl records too) ive always had a collectors mind really. and like you said its a good time to collect them while theres a few still about, although most have become very scarce already. and about the quality of the models themselves, back in 01 to 05 like you said they were considered cheap toys but if you look at the crap they make and sell today you'd notice that quality has declined over the years and this is the same when you look at modern cultures and music. i remember when you could buy fairly good quality tools in poundland and i remember the poundland lorries too. i probably did pick up some hongwell stuff from poundland back then but took it for granted and didnt realize what they could be to me a few years down the line. 

I remember buying Hongwells out of Poundland, only the VW and Porsche stuff. Pretty sure all mine are gone now after a sell-off years back. Nice little things especially given how small they are, perhaps too much "collectable" and not enough "toy" for my tastes, but resilient enough. The odd one arrives here mixed in with other playworn stuff, they don't seem to fall apart easily

15 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

For a pound!

They were good old days when Hongwell would turn up in all sorts of odd places for not much money and I built up quite a collection. I remember finding some on a market stall and the chap said he'd bought them as toys but ended up selling most of them to adult collectors, and it was always worth looking in 'tat shops' as they often had something interesting.

Shame they're so difficult to find and getting expensive now. I hoped when Oxford Diecast took over the import rights that meant they would become easier to find, but they stopped importing the 1/72 range almost entirely and cynically I'd suggest that was to eliminate competition for their own 1/76 models. That meant the later and best models are the hardest to find and I still have a few on my wants list. If anyone finds a 1/72 Ford Ka, VW Polo or Volvo S80 for a reasonable price please let me know!

A few interesting things have arrived in the post. I see the large, strangely proportioned Lone Star E-type pop up for sale on eBay now and again, and have long pondered on whether or not to buy one. I bid on a red one and got beaten, so I put the winning bid amount against the other one the seller had, and no-one else tried to buy it. And it's blue which I've never seen. It is very very odd looking

20210324_16042820210324_16043820210324_160443

Only Jaguar I had to hand for size comparison

20210324_160542

All the red ones I've seen have no base, just axles directly on the body

20210324_160450

Also got a COR 95P Lotus

20210324_160624

Didn't know some of the bigger Corgis had nameless bases

20210324_160709

It hadn't really registered with me that the ever-popular Matchbox bus was also made as a Superkings. Despite 1972 copyright date and the wheels, this was made in China

20210324_160727

Hidden at the back of a job lot was yet another VW LT, I took a chance as it didn't look like one I'd seen before. Base reads VOIKOWAGENG. You couldn't make it up!

20210324_16091020210324_160916

I do like a Zylmex, so this Ford GT has a new home here

20210324_161053

Fire engines and the like aren't my speciality. This Matchbox Merryweather has slim Superfast wheels, 1969 copyright but a plastic base. Shame the ladder's missing as it's tidy otherwise

20210324_161121

Tippax Refuse Collector is a pretty early release

20210324_161202

Again, Connectables aren't on my radar normally, but this one is clearly modeled on the Big Banger etc

20210324_16134220210324_16134620210324_161358

However the main reason I bought a box of assorted Matchbox was to obtain this, anyone know what it is?

20210324_161411