Shite in Miniature II

Split_Pin

2 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

Yes, my thoughts too.  I haven't asked him about the postage so I haven't seen any attempt to defend it, but AFAIC he can whistle for it, I'm not paying that much.

I politely mentioned I’m in no rush for it, so 2nd class post would do. This was the response:

New message from: valhy_87 (461)

if not sold this time ill bin it as its cost now to sell it what i wanted for it so no money left in it . the post cost is what it is at post office so its no reserve and that is that . i rap thigs up and box them it all costs money and not sending it any other way as it makes my life bad for people complaining so easer just to bin it .

Verdict: pranny

Two new arrivals. First up was this Husky NSU RO80 which was supposed to be local but was actually a bit further away, and the current lockdown/something about the seller rang alarm bells, despite him apparently having loads of other stuff not on eBay

20210116_144957.thumb.jpg.eb3beb74b970838c16a56d8e7292102c.jpg20210116_145010.thumb.jpg.c5fb9cd5c430301abc6c3c2eef5c3c36.jpg

Second is this Matchbox Mercury Cougar with a decal I don't recall seeing before

20210116_145052.thumb.jpg.c85dd63d0ece0364bd7d1fbc584206b0.jpg20210116_145117.thumb.jpg.d7147fd55a0b56322815c4936317f82a.jpg

22 hours ago, flat4alfa said:

I politely mentioned I’m in no rush for it, so 2nd class post would do. This was the response:

New message from: valhy_87 (461)

if not sold this time ill bin it as its cost now to sell it what i wanted for it so no money left in it . the post cost is what it is at post office so its no reserve and that is that . i rap thigs up and box them it all costs money and not sending it any other way as it makes my life bad for people complaining so easer just to bin it .

Verdict: pranny

I have to agree.  Damn shame.

1 hour ago, RoadworkUK said:

Of course that turned out to be an outright lie.

So, way back in June 2021, I began this odyssey with a view to possesing the earliest releases that celebrated Ford's divisive "jelly mould" of the 80s.................

Nice one! Box at least is in better shape than mine, and you don't have 'detailed' plates (unsure if it's paint or Tippex). They are a very satisfying thing, I do agree.

Corgi Ford Sierra and Renault 11

Of course I wouldn't do anything as foolish as suggesting you need to get one of the 1:64-ish Sierras in a branded box to match.......

image.thumb.jpeg.6d842e44459ef8213e749278e2371263.jpeg

Just now, junkyarddog said:

Never saw that decal on any Matchbox of that era before they had stickers from the factory,probably applied by a previous owner.

Cool find.

I'm assuming the same. It's a lot like the Wild Cat decal that some of them had, just can't work out where it's from

So I’ve read a lot of labels were left over when the hackney wick factory wound up many falling into the hands of collectors to make a special if you like. It’s difficult to find much in the way of actual facts on this but supposedly the big factory at Hackney closed in 1982, then the original diecasting industrial business moved in, all toy manufacturing moving to Rochford until the late 80’s. There’s some footage and a report on 28 days later on the factory it looks to have been derelict for a number of years before it’s demolition a few years ago. No hidden stock rooms full of unused parts or unsold models!

8 hours ago, bunglebus said:

Two new arrivals. First up was this Husky NSU RO80 which was supposed to be local but was actually a bit further away, and the current lockdown/something about the seller rang alarm bells, despite him apparently having loads of other stuff not on eBay

20210116_144957.thumb.jpg.eb3beb74b970838c16a56d8e7292102c.jpg20210116_145010.thumb.jpg.c5fb9cd5c430301abc6c3c2eef5c3c36.jpg

Second is this Matchbox Mercury Cougar with a decal I don't recall seeing before

20210116_145052.thumb.jpg.c85dd63d0ece0364bd7d1fbc584206b0.jpg20210116_145117.thumb.jpg.d7147fd55a0b56322815c4936317f82a.jpg

Ooof, loving that Ro80 - that's one I'm keeping an eye out for!

Was it just the seller's shaky grasp of geography that caused concern, or were they proper strange?

1 hour ago, Datsuncog said:

Was it just the seller's shaky grasp of geography that caused concern, or were they proper strange?

Just...a bit too much. Was telling me about all the various things they have lots of to sell, but lives (I think) in a static caravan on Canvey Island but only there every other evening. Partly that and not wanting to catch/pass on deadly viruses on the off chance that they have something interesting I might want

18 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Some big hot French car action this evening.

Great video. I have the XM; somehow Trago Mills in Liskeard landed a job lot of them in the early 90s and I picked it up for six quid or something daft. It's a superb model, although I fear it might be a tad under scale — something like 1:19 maybe. Looks a bit small against other 1:18s

I had actually been put off the 605 by the door shut lines spoiling the overall effect, but your example looks pretty good and might have me changing my outlook.

On 11/22/2020 at 5:20 PM, flat4alfa said:

Picked this up.  Clearly a gen-3 Chevrolet Camaro, although with portly proportions.  

20201121_192928785_iOS.jpg.a7b1fc73da90f8f95c6e48db6ae6d383.jpg

Look what arrived today...   

Two more Matchbox 1:29 Camaros....     so that makes three

20210118_175613725_iOS.jpg.a8ff67a5f1a94e01bcf8fc87cbbd273e.jpg

No, I don't know why either.  But were a pound each.

2 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Nice going! In the absence of actual charity shops and markets, I've now taken to having long, detailed dreams about finding diecast tat in charity shops... which is possibly a disturbing development, but at least it gives some solace (until I wake up).

Every so often I'll have a dream about finding some old Superfast or the like in a shop, but something always happens that means I don't end up buying anything.

It must be 4 or 5 years ago now that I wandered into a charity shop here in Barrow and for a couple of quid, picked up two 1950s Dinky Lorries (a Guy and a Foden), a Dinky Holden sedan, and a Dinky trailer which I gave to my mate Roger.  The sort of find one dreams about!  Naturally I still have the Holden and the two lorries.

3 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Every so often I'll have a dream about finding some old Superfast or the like in a shop, but something always happens that means I don't end up buying anything.

Yeah, I didn't manage to complete my purchase last night either - firstly, because I got distracted by a box of comics, and then because I suddenly realised that I'd gone out to the shops with only a towel wrapped round me... ☹️

Still, I felt they were a bit steep at £2.50 each for some pretty bashed-up Polistil 1/25 scale - a wrecked Polo with no bootlid, two Lancia Monte Carlos with missing headlights, and quite a nice Mk1 Fiat Ritmo cabrio - so maybe it's for the best I didn't waste my dream-quids.

Though I kinda wish the Matchbox Superkings 6-wheel Chevrolet RV I also 'found' actually existed in real life...

Not cars, but dreams, I'll never forget the dream I had in the 90s in which my mum was taking me out to buy a Sony Playstation. This was at a point when the Playstation name was being bandied about but nobody had actually seen the finished product, and the machine and packaging that caused so much excitement in my dream were, of course, totally different to the physical example I owned a few years later.

In last night's dream, by the way, I kept showing people my impression of David Frost. I don't do an impression of David Frost.