Shite in Miniature II

Split_Pin

11 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Thought I'd have a look at some old German 1:24 models tonight.

Very much enjoyed that - those bigger Gama and Schabak models never seemed to be stocked by local model shops, so I only knew them from the catalogues. Great to get a guided tour of their many features, that's a lovely collection to have - cheers for taking the time to share!

24 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

Very much enjoyed that - those bigger Gama and Schabak models never seemed to be stocked by local model shops, so I only knew them from the catalogues. Great to get a guided tour of their many features, that's a lovely collection to have - cheers for taking the time to share!

Cheers for the sub as well Tim, glad you enjoyed! It was good to get them down again and have a look. 

I only ever saw the green 3 series in the Model shop and the price was extortionate. The same shop did stock more reasonably priced 1/43 Gama models thankfully but the bigger models were always on my radar!

2 hours ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

i'm sorry but no!

left volvo 245dl matchbox superkings

right volvo 265dl dinky

I did think to amend that but couldn't find my pedant hat.

Today's tat arrival is this little Play Art Opel GT. Not sure why they often fitted orange steering wheels to their cars, my Kubelwagen has one too, looks great against the army green

20210115_163141.jpg

20210115_163146.jpg

18 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

You know, I always thought myself fairly perversely clued up on European Fords of the 80s, but I hitherto had no idea that Euro Sapphires had the regular Sierra nose. Looks all kinds of wrong!

unnamed (1).jpg

2 hours ago, RoadworkUK said:

You know, I always thought myself fairly perversely clued up on European Fords of the 80s, but I hitherto had no idea that Euro Sapphires had the regular Sierra nose. Looks all kinds of wrong!

unnamed (1).jpg

Could be wrong here but didn’t the hatch have the sapphire diesel front on it?

Right I have a back log of miniature shite to update on here.

Tescos had a glut of these Mercedes in. So like some kind of nutter I got an extra one when I'm passing, and then the next time when they are only a pound. So I've accumulated quite a few of them.  Then the ideas of how to make them as different from the stock ones roll in. How about an estate? Macthbox haven't done one yet have they?

IMG_20201018_200226.thumb.jpg.73d2721f414e8bea875b7ad5a4c9e48f.jpg

IMG_20201020_221256.thumb.jpg.1dd1fadf6413e4530037cd5ffbacc28a.jpg

I used Miliput and super glue with baking soda to fill the roof. Then I made the extra C pillars out of split pins, they seem to work quite well (as do hair pins).

I'm going to skim the roof with Isopon, and tweak the window openings to look more like an estate.

1 hour ago, morrisoxide said:

Right I have a back log of miniature shite to update on here.

Tescos had a glut of these in Mercedes in. So like some kind of nutter I get an extra one when I'm passing, and then the next time when they are only a pound. So I've accumulated quite a few of them.  Then the ideas of how to make them as different from the stock ones roll in. How about an estate? Macthbox haven't done one yet have they?

IMG_20201018_200226.thumb.jpg.73d2721f414e8bea875b7ad5a4c9e48f.jpg

IMG_20201020_221256.thumb.jpg.1dd1fadf6413e4530037cd5ffbacc28a.jpg

I used Miliput and super glue with baking soda to fill the roof. Then I made the extra C pillars out of split pins, they seem to work quite well (as do hair pins).

I'm going to skim the roof with Isopon, and tweak the window openings to look more like an estate.

That's ace. I need to do something like this- always fancied some proper diecast modification!

On 1/14/2021 at 10:24 PM, Split_Pin said:

Wow. I actually watched this yesterday. I never knew there was a 1.24 scale Mercedes W140. I really must get one. I am currently after expanding my W140 collection. I only have 3 x 1.43 scale W140s. I'm looking at the 1.18 scale models and now the 1.24 Schabak.

Whats interesting is your Granada Scorpio having Sierra Cosworth wheels. I have the same Granada Scorpio with the flat-faced wheels that some tol-spec Granadas came with. I also have 2 x Sieera Sapphires, 1 with Sierra Cosworth wheels and the other (boxed) with "Pepperpots" (of which I have a real set too).

I also have the Orion but again with different wheels.

I once saw a 1.24 E36 at a car dealers place somewhere near Norwich. I'd love to get myself one.

1 hour ago, flat4alfa said:

Can I request a Camper?

I thought of that but I'd have to make the camper in CAD at work and plot or router them out, but at it's rammed with work the moment.

However I did make some garages in 1:64ish scale when things were quiet after furlough.

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.58f707a7601bc370fd7a4f145d383c5d.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROAD-SIGNATURE-1-18-1950-STUDEBAKER-CHAMPION-MODIFIED/154285037502?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

s-l1600.jpg

I mentioned this the other day.  It's in Newark.  I did ask if we had anyone in the vicinity who would be able to collect and post it to me, because his postage rate is just daft.

I'm serious.  If we have someone, please step forward because I would like to be able to rescue it.

8 hours ago, Lord Sterling said:

Wow. I actually watched this yesterday. I never knew there was a 1.24 scale Mercedes W140. I really must get one. I am currently after expanding my W140 collection. I only have 3 x 1.43 scale W140s. I'm looking at the 1.18 scale models and now the 1.24 Schabak.

Whats interesting is your Granada Scorpio having Sierra Cosworth wheels. I have the same Granada Scorpio with the flat-faced wheels that some tol-spec Granadas came with. I also have 2 x Sieera Sapphires, 1 with Sierra Cosworth wheels and the other (boxed) with "Pepperpots" (of which I have a real set too).

I also have the Orion but again with different wheels.

I once saw a 1.24 E36 at a car dealers place somewhere near Norwich. I'd love to get myself one.

Now you mention it, I had a ratty 1:24 scale Sierra Sapphire with the pepperpot wheels but it was pretty far gone, no idea what happened to it.

The W140 is a thing of beauty. Apart from the Fords, I got all of the rest in a trade for some unwanted 1:18s. I got the green E36 in a trade for a Polistil Audi Sport Quattro which was apparently rare.  I don't think I would have found these otherwise.

Need to find the 1:24 5 series though!

11 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROAD-SIGNATURE-1-18-1950-STUDEBAKER-CHAMPION-MODIFIED/154285037502

s-l1600.jpg

I mentioned this the other day.  It's in Newark.  I did ask if we had anyone in the vicinity who would be able to collect and post it to me, because his postage rate is just daft.

I'm serious.  If we have someone, please step forward because I would like to be able to rescue it.

How has he defended his postage rate?

Sounds like a bit of a cock, what with the threat of throwing it in the bin

22 hours ago, flat4alfa said:

How has he defended his postage rate?

Sounds like a bit of a cock, what with the threat of throwing it in the bin

Yes, my thoughts too.  I haven't asked him about the postage so I haven't seen any attempt to defend it, but AFAIC he can whistle for it, I'm not paying that much.

On 6/5/2020 at 6:01 PM, RoadworkUK said:

So that, dear readers, is the end of my toy Ford Sierra odyssey, for which my bank account is grateful.

Of course that turned out to be an outright lie.

So, way back in June 2021, I began this odyssey with a view to possesing the earliest releases that celebrated Ford's divisive "jelly mould" of the 80s.

Once I'd acquired a near replica of my dad's Sierra Ghia in the form of that Argentinian 1:43 partwork, as well as an early K100 XR4i in The Right Colour, and an early Mettoy-era Sierra 2.3 Ghia, I thought I was done. Inevitably, though... I wasn't.

20200601_175347.thumb.jpg.2dd1820e3dbef89643a2db88bf725024.jpg.db637547ed47595c30ecac253cdfd7db.jpg

This is extremely lovely, of course, packaging and all, but it's YELLOW. Unless Buzby-era BT was running Sierra Ghias for its more prestigious small-scale telecommunication system repair efforts, it's not actually a terribly useful representation of the Sierra as I knew and loved it.

No. I would need just one more 1:36 Corgi — a high-quality toy, rather than a "fingers off" model — to properly anchor my Sierra collection. The search went on for a showroom silver example (I knew they were out there), ideally in packaging from the very beginning of the Sierra age.

There was no rush; I'd glance on eBay from time to time, dismissing anything stratospherically priced and hoping that I'd chance upon one of those "it's just a toy car" listings that appear from time to time. Because, to be honest, it really is just a toy car.

Anyway. I was 100% kidding myself that I had any kind of self control. When the below came up at £probably too much, I needed to just buy it and have done with it.

So I did.

20210116_121955.thumb.jpg.3c83ac7f8c8cabb5fdff9d0ed506b58e.jpg

I believe this really was the Sierra "Launch" packaging as far as Corgi is concerned. The box has more than a bit of wear and tear but is structurally intact, and though missing in this pic, there is acetate. Almost miraculously, the latter is in one piece, albeit detached from the cardboard. I'm currently making an effort to flatten it out between two heavy books with a view to reattaching it to the box.

The model within, though, is immaculate.

20210116_122103.thumb.jpg.810ac8f86a1b4839ecbbb3a9cfdbfcbc.jpg

This may have been covered upthread, but how many other Mettoy products actually attempted to capture the design of the subject's wheels? These Ghia trims are actually far more accurate than the stab made by that 1:43 partwork.

20210116_122117.thumb.jpg.c710276e0cb75ad812df61c7e4655b8a.jpg

The cast-in SIERRA 2.3 Ghia script is extraordinarily well realised considering its minute scale. The less than stellar macro capabilities of my phone adds more to the impression of something that's been sitting on the sea bed for a hundred years, though.

20210116_122049.thumb.jpg.c4ed3771b69dca675f612da19edb0c3b.jpg

It's a left-hooker, natch, and certain bits of the interior are better realised than others. The dash section ahead of the passenger seat is very oddly shaped, whereas the instrument cluster and wrap-around driver stack are actually about right.

Having previously realised, though, that the window winders cast into the door metal were wholly inappropriate for a Ghia, I've now spotted that there appears to be electric window switches moulded into the centre console just aft of the gearstick. Bravo! early UK-spec Sierra Ghias had electric front windows only (as depicted here), unless you paid for those in the back to be electrified as well. The seats are nicely (and accurately) contoured, too, albeit a little on the wide side.

20210116_122032.thumb.jpg.0c374d1121e4d8ee81ed6da9eff33a5a.jpg

Out back, the rear head restraints are a bit on the vestigial side, but the parcel shelf is nicely realised. However, Ghia spec should have a lidded compartment behind one of the outer rear seats. I'll shave 0.36 realism points from the final score for that omission.

Again, it's probably been discussed at length, but there's mounting evidence that the Corgi 1:36 Sierra was being developed in parallel with the production car, with snippets of information being relayed from Ford to Mettoy and substantial leaps of faith being made between them. So what we have is a model that depicts the then flagship Sierra, but without having actually gained full confirmation of exactly what that entailed. The final clue that this is so? No suggestion of a sunroof.

I have now ordered a few mainland-euro spec Sierra brochures to be entirely sure of how things were across the channel, but I know the Sierra Ghia had a sunroof as standard, the roof console being designed to incorporate the manual winder and swivelling map reading lights that were exclusive to that trim level.

Anyway. That truly does conclude my adventures in collecting biggish-scale model Sierras.

Or does it?

(almost certainly not)