Shite in Miniature II

Split_Pin

11 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

Just thought you might like to see these...

Pontiac GTO?  Certainly sir, which year would you like?  Now that I have three in 1/18 scale, I've decided to keep the 65 (for now) to show how the 66 evolved from it.  The yellow one is a 69, from the movie Two Lane Blacktop, as driven throughout by Warren Oates.

In other news, someone in a FB models-cars group I frequent recently offered at no charge a model he had built of the frontage of Sun Hill police station, from The Bill of course.  It appears to be compatible with 1/43 scale cars so I put my name on it.  It's in Southampton!  No problem though, I'm still in touch with our old friend Mercrocker, who has kindly agreed to pick it up and keep it until we're allowed to travel again.  I have a weekend booked in that area next May.

Very nice. I wish I had suitable space to display larger scale models and toys.  Also great to hear of Mercrocker. I've never met him but always enjoyed his unique and knowledgeable take on Autoshite subject matter.

Marital disharmony reigns again in the Ramrod household.  A lovely little parcel has just arrived from Sir Datsun of Cog, partly in exchange for one I've sent him, so now if all I get from MrsR for the rest of the day is Cold Shoulder I will have to consider myself getting off lightly.  She is convinced that her children (who live 400 miles away in different directions) are going to have a nightmare sweeping my entire collection into a skip after we're dead.  We're only 61 and 65!  She seems convinced we're both going to peg out tonight, ffs.  She's been telling me for most of our married life that she "isn't going to live long."  Well we've been married almost 24 years, and 9 years ago in Cyprus I really thought she was correct.  I didn't like that thought.

As an aside, the day I took her to Paphos Hospital as an emergency: you should have seen my blue Granada sweeping through the town like an audition for The Sweeney!

TL;DR: thank you kindly, Datsuncog, they all arrived safely.

4 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

The Foden appears to have a gear at the larger end of the cement cylinder but I can't work out how that connects to the wheels.

I'm not sure about that either, though I spent quite a while trying to figure it out - I can see there's a tiny plastic nub at the upper end of the mixer cylinder that's broken off, so it doesn't spin smoothly (but could possibly be fixed with a tiny self-tapper inserted through the diecast support).

228845100_IMG_20201106_1245163.thumb.jpg.c40f27acf7c04f8649f7292e5b26a8cd.jpg

1260917352_IMG_20201106_1245353.thumb.jpg.85a52ef5e89f4f34d393b0ff341e40d6.jpg

I'd quite like to take a look at an earlier Regular Wheels version, as I've a sneaking suspicion that any mechanism to make the cylinder revolve may well have been removed for the short-lived Superfast version...

4 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

There is a dairy in Polmont which is the next town to where I grew up in Linlithgow who had a T reg D series in service right to until about 2000.

That's brilliant - round here, Maine Soft Drinks maintained a fleet of 1980s D-Series as lemonade delivery vans right up until the early 2000s as well, before replacing them with Mitsubishi Fusos.

Whenever I'm driving behind one, I still get a brief flash of hope that it's a D-Series, as the livery and lettering are just the same.

2 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

She is convinced that her children (who live 400 miles away in different directions) are going to have a nightmare sweeping my entire collection into a skip after we're dead.  We're only 61 and 65!  She seems convinced we're both going to peg out tonight, ffs.  

I've got about 20 years on you two, so if you could have the skip delivered to me, that would be great 😋

22 hours ago, sierraman said:

Mine will all end up in the skip one day I expect. In the meantime I’ll enjoy them until I’m in the pine box. 

That's what I keep saying, along with "I'm leaving them to the Lakeland Motor Museum" but she seems to be determined to drain all the joy out of them for me.  Never mind, such is life, and all that.

1 hour ago, bunglebus said:

I was just looking at the Kingsize Foden, which only came as a tipper rather than a cement lorry

image.png.362d743d66dd584dfa3266cb3e74b18d.png

Would have thought the cab of either would have been used for multiple types of vehicle but no

I had that one for a while but now I have the similar but smaller version which I like even more!

4 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

Marital disharmony reigns again in the Ramrod household.  A lovely little parcel has just arrived from Sir Datsun of Cog, partly in exchange for one I've sent him, so now if all I get from MrsR for the rest of the day is Cold Shoulder I will have to consider myself getting off lightly.  She is convinced that her children (who live 400 miles away in different directions) are going to have a nightmare sweeping my entire collection into a skip after we're dead.  We're only 61 and 65!  She seems convinced we're both going to peg out tonight, ffs.  She's been telling me for most of our married life that she "isn't going to live long."  Well we've been married almost 24 years, and 9 years ago in Cyprus I really thought she was correct.  I didn't like that thought.

As an aside, the day I took her to Paphos Hospital as an emergency: you should have seen my blue Granada sweeping through the town like an audition for The Sweeney!

TL;DR: thank you kindly, Datsuncog, they all arrived safely.

Glad the package arrived over safely - and heartfelt apologies for any friction arising at Ramrod Towers as a result of Tat Friday exploits... 

I have to say, MrsDC has also been looking a touch thin-lipped at the amount of Corgis which had been arriving at Casa Datsuncog lately... I swear Royal Mail is punking me; I can literally not leave the house for three days, yet in the space of the 15 minutes it takes me to walk to and from the Spar for a bottle of semi-skimmed, the buggers will pounce and I'll arrive back to a parcel on the hall table and a raised eyebrow... FIVE TIMES in a row this happened, I shit you not.

It happened again today when the reciprocal parcel from the Cumbria-Antrim Diecast Exchange Programme arrived - yet, thankfully, there was also an eBay treasure I'd bought for MrsDC alongside, so negative waves were avoided when I unwrapped this splendid Superkings Ford D-Series with trailer:

878610791_IMG_20201130_1857082.thumb.jpg.9428a5b1b7f521ce95a09d704f58ebc3.jpg

I'll have to do a proper compare and contrast of this one against my regular wheels tractor unit, as there's a fair few differences.

1255088417_IMG_20201130_1858282.thumb.jpg.3fa92ca670b57201ca61491dac74f6a5.jpg

Thanks for that, Eddy! Hope that, on balance, the contents of your parcel was worth spending a day in the doghouse!

Oh it's not your fault Tim!  Glad the D was what you wanted/expected.  Meanwhile...

2121717726_DC007.thumb.jpg.6ae5b2e3104fcf9aa73fbfe6446e431d.jpg

1299917025_DC008.thumb.jpg.fa1ec1c676f91ea60a83a5d7f115974b.jpg

What an exciting selection!

Blingo van can stay boxed for now, but will be joining my other recovery/service vans in their cabinet.

Garda Omega sits on a shelf neatly between my Police Omega and Garda Range Rover.

Scorpio estate slots into the "fringe" personal fleet, as my old mate Dave had one.

Hunter and Anglia van are projects.  Hunter, in particular, is not as bad as I feared, but tbh I don't exactly know what I'm going to do with either of them.  I'll think of something eventually, I'm sure.  Actually, as I type, I've just had an idea for the Hunter.  To quote Bo Hopkins as Joe in American Graffiti: "I got an idea.  I got me a great idea."

So thank you Tim, from the heart of my.... wait a minute, that isn't right...

I'll raise my hand as another in the growing army whose marital bliss is being stretched to graphene-thin extremes by diecast acquisition.

Actually that's an exaggeration, but Nicola does seem particularly offended by my deviation into buses.  When I accidentally let slip what "my supplier in Northern Ireland has sourced", it was met with enough eye-rolling to make me seasick.

2 hours ago, bunglebus said:

Having a look through my pics for that Foden cement lorry, and wondering if they used the cab for anything else (no). But the Site Hut Truck, a casting I seem to always get in job lots without its hut, shares its cab with a few others

I have these, but I'm still missing the Pipe Truck version from MIB Superfast collection:

Matchbox Ergomatic Leyland/AEC selection

Over the past month there has been an seemingly inexhaustible supply of diecast arriving at my house yet my wife never minds at all, I guess I'm lucky. 

They are consolidated into my 'toy room' though which has to be kept somewhat orderly and rather than adding more I rotate with my selection in the loft.

Strict limit of 4 1/1 cars though.

20 hours ago, sierraman said:

Mine will all end up in the skip one day I expect. In the meantime I’ll enjoy them until I’m in the pine box. 

Pine box?

My mother died late last Feb. She was not religious and she said funerals are a rip off. She got her wish and was cremated in a cardboard box.

Maybe think about having a cardboard one too. Then  made with your in the style of your favourite model maker maybe even with an image of your favourite model in that range.

Having a bit of a hoke through one of my toyboxes earlier (gathering together some early 70s Superkings for a group shot), and turned up another of my childhood Corgis:

783024339_IMG_20201201_1425082.thumb.jpg.7c403392e5f9a76d77ad954e39213aa7.jpg

96033937_IMG_20201201_1425122.thumb.jpg.b3ac1c714da06ae679d5dc71d10063ce.jpg

Yup, it's a somewhat modified Racing Mini, which lost its original paper stickers following hard use (possibly in the bath), and later gained replacements courtesy of some leftover Scalextric waterslides and the obligatory silver paint pen.

1912420823_IMG_20201201_1425272.thumb.jpg.8f92505bd8e2ccbd5262e00e76440cc9.jpg

1591608413_IMG_20201201_1426242.thumb.jpg.0665ef46e9fc25ea13a0e40d57793923.jpg

I can't quite get back into my eight-year-old mind, but I'll assume that '53' is a nod to the Herbie films, which I loved.

577955304_IMG_20201201_1425572.thumb.jpg.362a066c64be3a1bf5ebc2e1a2f75752.jpg

A Mini powered by Ford? Okaaaay...

804574415_IMG_20201201_1426102.thumb.jpg.b36eb23348b755322f0a798cdd5162bc.jpg

Firestone, Goodyear and Dunlop sponsorship? In fairness, I've bought cars with that kinda tyre set-up... all we need is an Arrowspeed to give a full house.

925015054_IMG_20201201_1527522.thumb.jpg.0636e25c8b8574e453494a3a023211db.jpg

This Mini has seen a lot of use and abuse since I received it new circa 1984, with the paint almost all gone from the base and a cracked A-post.

But unlike the other Corgi and Matchbox I wrecked with my cack-handed 'detailing', and sold on with remorse, I kept hold of this one.

Maybe it's because it looks a bit like Mini grass track racers I used to see being towed to and from Nutts Corner raceway, which were usually filthy and quite battered. Or maybe the bright orange paint just seems more cheerful than the navy blue version I also had, or the silver version my cousins had.

It's maybe just as well I hung on to it, as I plainly couldn't afford a replacement...

674263159_Screenshot_20201201-1550302.thumb.png.e1aa6435b59fbdfea96cb3b95d54ed59.png

HFM?

Is it really that rare?

Although it's fair to say that I've never seen another one in orange...

56 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

Pine box?

My mother died late last Feb. She was not religious and she said funerals are a rip off. She got her wish and was cremated in a cardboard box.

Maybe think about having a cardboard one too. Then  made with your in the style of your favourite model maker maybe even with an image of your favourite model in that range.

Corgi Buick Riviera maybe?