Shite in Miniature II

Split_Pin

6 minutes ago, flat4alfa said:

I appear to have the body from one of the LJN/Matchbox Rough Riders

D84E9F75-C906-4C5E-9CBF-5EC1FB323C01.thumb.jpeg.e378e02a89a6f9bf61ab3ade04a93bf9.jpeg

Anyone have a chassis?

I've got a feeling my Corvette is labelled as Matchbox. Bit of a mare to dig it out right now, but it looks identical to the LJN model.

Where did you find the GMC body?

Screenshot_20201024-175254_Chrome.jpg

Crikey I had a stomper, they were all the rage for about 3 months when I was 4. Mine didn't have a shifter on top though but the lights worked. It was a green Subaru hatchback, I can't recall the name.

It didn't work for very long. I may still have the remains somewhere.

Likewise - I think my Stomper was a Chevrolet Blazer or something like that - a brown pickup with a blue stripe. And working lights?

It came with some sort of track set that you could arrange, so it went up and down as well as round and round.

I mainly remember it for being really noisy while in operation!

No idea what became of it - probably given away after I got a 'proper' Scalextric set.

1 hour ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Where did you find the GMC body?

Came in a big job lot of tat won for a couple of quid. I thought from the photos it would be complete, but didn’t squint enough

Three other motorised chassis’ were there though and got them all working.  None of them for this though 

8 minutes ago, flat4alfa said:

Came in a big job lot of tat won for a couple of quid. I thought from the photos it would be complete, but didn’t squint enough

Three other motorised chassis’ were there though and got them all working.  None of them for this though 

What a bargain. I reckon the lights on mine haven't worked since the late 1980s. Motor was still ok when I last checked several years ago though. 

Will have to keep my eye out for them...

7 hours ago, Amishtat said:

I can hardly believe it but finally found the long lost Corgis along with some other things I'll show you a bit later on. Must be at least twenty years since I last clapped eyes on these.

So pleased that these have finally turned up - some absolute corkers in there! Would have been dreadful if they'd just vanished into the ether. You'll sleep sounder tonight, hopefully! Cheers for sharing those pics, and jogging a few memories too.

2 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Crikey I had a stomper, they were all the rage for about 3 months when I was 4. Mine didn't have a shifter on top though but the lights worked

Pretty sure Stompers and Rough Riders were different manufacturers, it was just the later Riders that had roof 'shifter' on/off/speed switch.  Stompers had their switch underneath

Would be great if you can find remains though as any motorised chassis I can try and get working again and reuse.  I have a pile of working motors, many sizes and voltages.  At the very least worth pulling the gearing and motor off to use again

52 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

So pleased that these have finally turned up - some absolute corkers in there! Would have been dreadful if they'd just vanished into the ether. You'll sleep sounder tonight, hopefully! Cheers for sharing those pics, and jogging a few memories too.

I know I'd banged on here about them for ages and you were probably all sick of hearing about them but yes, I'm very pleased to have turned them up at last. Also in the box was an item of profound personal significance but I need another drink or six before sharing it with you all

Another branded as Majorette

But this is a R/C car.  Missing its controller, but the wheels/tyres/motor/gearing/decoration are all intact.  The size is perfect for what I have in mind for old R/C chassis' that depart their controllers and hit the depths of a toy box

20201024_173749881_iOS.thumb.jpg.f247ad7b60425c434210c3d5a7fc95d3.jpg

So you can only guess what this is going to get

20201024_173802422_iOS.thumb.jpg.aa210794fa51aa02c6289c803e83b0b4.jpg

Yep; pull the R/C electronics, fit with a slot track guide, wire the pickups up to the motor.  IT LIVES AGAIN!  Scoot it around the track, then wind the wife right up again, because ANOTHER 'unique' slot car is on the shelf

20201024_173737429_iOS.thumb.jpg.ca5eb67ab3918115530e79846f4f5c90.jpg

I know very little of Marvel though.  What is 'Ultimate Spider-Man' when its at home?  And why the Majorette branding?  I found a very similar style R/C car in Dickie Toys branding but a larger size, also a Majorette 1/64 die-cast called 'Amazing Spider-Man Super Shocker'.  

So was this car style from a film/series tie-in?

50 minutes ago, flat4alfa said:

Is it long gone?

Brand is Buddy-L

Long long gone! I think my Nan bought it round one Saturday, I used to watch Hollywood’s Greatest Stunts on a Saturday afternoon as a kid then recreate it on the patio with the Demo Derby car. Thinking back as a kid I was obsessed with car chases and scrapyards. Probably my ideal day in 1991 would have been going to the breakers with my dad then watching Smoky and the Bandit. Now I’m older and have kids myself I find it impossible to think they used to let us in at the breakers as kids. 

2 hours ago, sierraman said:

Anyone remember a plastic car modelled on a Lincoln Continental or similar for late 80’s, it was a demolition derby car and had loads of dents etc? 

Or Crash Dummies? Had a couple of those as a kid?

Yup, I bought one of those Buddy L bangers new  - I'd a choice of a red one or a white one. I went for red.

On 6/11/2020 at 10:49 AM, Datsuncog said:

Heh, I had one of those too - bought c.1990 at a holiday park outside Dublin.

DSC_5236.thumb.JPG.c4bfc558ef41f3bf74951ff58a86ae52.JPG

DSC_5237.thumb.JPG.ef5adbc072c9c0046452f2a592890230.JPG

Somehow the tailpipes got lost from mine, and I touched up the worn chrome with the inevitable silver Tamiya paint pen.

I seem to recall it had a more complex than usual friction drive mechanism, whereby it would drive forward until it hit something, then back up while swinging round to the left, and when the tailpipes then touched another obstruction, it would shoot off forwards again.

I also recall having a choice between this red one and another in white - may or may not have been the same moulding. I think the box said 'Demolition Derby' or something like that.

I sold this one on in 2010 or so during my first big model clear-out, but nice to see one again!

Oh yeah... my brother had a Crash Test Dummies car -  a blue generic 2-dr saloon, with collapsible front end and an unconvincing foam airbag that popped out...

4 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Jogging memories is about right. This doesn't look like much but is of massive importance to me and I'm thoroughly ashamed of having let it sit in a box for so long. It's taken most of a bottle of Grant's to share this and I'll probably delete it in the morning. I received this for my fourth birthday in February 1984,don't remember from whom but that doesn't really matter. Twenty days later my mother passed away suddenly when there was only she and I in the house and this is what I was playing with when things went wrong. It had a pull back & go motor which long ago ceased to function and is smaller than a Matchbox car, I can't really guess the scale but it's fairly tiny. This is why the Sierra and Acclaim meant so much to me because I remember having them prior to this event, I could have got replacements but it wouldn't be the same. 

IMG_20201024_182957.jpg

IMG_20201024_183006.jpg

I won't quote you on the above unless you do choose to delete it but thanks for sharing such a poignant story, not only because we like to see these pages as a community but to highlight how profoundly many of us see the value in tangible objects that spark memories. 

I feel like it goes to show why having a hobby or interest is such a great thing for so many people, whatever the subject turns out to be and that if more people did such things, there would be a bit more compassion and understanding about the place. That taking the time to do needless things just for the sheer pleasure of it is totally ok.

And I'm so happy for you that you've found your original toys, too. There's a fair few that I have doubles of in my childhood collection, though we're only a year apart in age, so it figures!