Shite in Miniature II

Split_Pin

2 hours ago, MarvinsMom said:

so that was a bust, going to Tesco cos we didn't even get there!

needed some paint so have had to brave the diseased hoards at Skippers Lanes B & Q.

got a flat tyre...... got it changed, Kerry starts mithering on cos car is now on a dustbin lid spare, we gotta go to Kwik Fit, she says, there are other fast fit rip offs about, but they are closed, or she is uncertain of their location.

i don't want to, cos my experience they will say, tyre is fucked, you need a new one. better to wait ,and go and to Browns sometime during the week, and get it fixed then.

oh no,  says kerry, that will repair easy cos Browns at home have repaired worse tyres than that for us. Kwik Fit will definitely be able to do it.

well guess what. Kwik fit DID say it needs a new tyre. and their "cheapest" one is much more than any chinese death ring i can get off our local spot.

so car is still on a dustbin lid, and no matchbox austin healey for me!

i should have fuckin' stopped in bed!

I'm hoping to get along there (Eston one?) in the week. I'll have a look but to be honest, that one Tesco has been shit lately, the Matchbox and Hot Wheels rummage boxes have been gone, replaced by one or two models placed on the shelf in security cases. Fingers crossed...

Well whilst its eBay confession time 😆

A random auction just ending as I was searching something completely different - 99p start, so I had a gamble, and 2 minutes later all mine for 99p! So for just over £4, this little lot arrived - after some decontamination here are the results: 

C8074511-95B1-4091-8A12-C9FA5443606E.thumb.jpeg.40eb6f2c7baf1596ba62b3107cc8bf28.jpeg

EDA9C40F-5407-4490-9EB6-16444A10D72D.thumb.jpeg.e74c3922a23c68aa8f7a62e4db1b3e31.jpeg

The Ferrari 206 Dino sport is actually a corgi diecast I’ve never given a second glance before - yet even missing its rear spoiler is a really crisp model made of at least 18 separate parts. The doors open and the detail is great. Even the whizz wheels almost work.

91DE99F6-3E37-4F11-B3B6-66066BF00202.thumb.jpeg.70209be70c9a8cb9927a0992be58f1b9.jpeg

The Mercedes C11 however is let down by its whizz wheels, letting down what is another really well proportioned casting. The gullwing doors are even individually glazed! 

2DA60522-1D4C-4C9F-8459-4E852B0461AF.thumb.jpeg.48aefea3a8d5db90b008d824dcc8523a.jpeg

Lastly the C2 Corvette Stingray. A well detailed over the top hot rod ruined by childish graphics, the fake “moon eyes” on the hood the worst offender. I’m sure Steve Flowers can help it live again, though it might be better to find a nicer example - still for 33p beggars cant be  choosers 😂

128EB3A9-D0C1-4EE7-AE46-470BCC603CDB.thumb.jpeg.a1e77a08f00635767dd3f39cd93908ff.jpeg

15 minutes ago, AndyW201 said:

I'm hoping to get along there (Eston one?) in the week. I'll have a look but to be honest, that one Tesco has been shit lately, the Matchbox and Hot Wheels rummage boxes have been gone, replaced by one or two models placed on the shelf in security cases. Fingers crossed...

was going to look in the Redcar store, more out of hope rather than anything else,

its small,  been once upon a time a Safeway, and smaller than the newer Tesco Extras.

but you never know!

Hey, kids! Welcome to Rubbish Resto Corner!

Had an hour or so to myself earlier, so I dug out the recently purchased Atlas Mk3 Cortina GT police car. It had been my intention to get hold of a slightly tatty one and make it into a civilian GT as none exist as yet in model form.

IMG_20201002_124845.thumb.jpg.4cd6fe57fc2df4e77a3cc0995a32000c.jpg

As bought, no box or clear case and with the searchlights and aerial broken off.

IMG_20201011_102526.thumb.jpg.a4b8ed4994d5560ac958c9f9d9ead7d7.jpg

The origins of this model are all too clear. Strange though that they obliterated the Ford Cortina Mk3 script from the base but left the Vanguards branding...

IMG_20201011_103424.thumb.jpg.3c8f9d6459918c281fb55861a6891c2d.jpg

Being a Vanguards model, it came apart nicely, the interior tub shows those tombstone seats off nicely. I've said it before, but it seems bizarre that those seats were modelled just for this one version. All the Vanguards police GTs have standard spec seats (as they did in real life, did Essex police have tombstone seats in their Cortinas I wonder). They are the reason I sought out this version for a civilian GT.

IMG_20201011_103454.thumb.jpg.f7b3dea7e31aca12b398513788e573b9.jpg

Note the high spec centre console with the four auxiliary gauges too.

IMG_20201011_120641.thumb.jpg.53418fe06f23e8d6600353f61a110eba.jpg

The tampos came off pretty well, apart from the door shuts, as is usual. A couple of tiny bits of white paint came off as well, easily touched in with a dab of VW Candy white touch up stick from my old Golf. Now I do want to repaint this at some time with a suitably lairy 70s Ford type colour, but for now I just wanted to get the holes in the roof filled in and covered, so went for the vinyl roof look. Didn't have a lot around the house, apart from some black smoothrite from yonks ago. I went over it with a bit of rag, to try and get a 'textured' vinyl effect. I think I'd call it about 15% effective...

IMG_20201011_213629.thumb.jpg.d3fe52a1961038d51bafe07241e962b7.jpg

So, fixed back up together. As is typical of me, I dropped it while taking it off the base and lost a pissing mirror! A purchase from AC model spares is imminent. While taking the loudspeaker off the front, it actually took a tiny part off the grille. I remembered that I had a set of Ford branded spotlights from a previous spares pack I bought from AC, I think they were usually fitted to one of the Vanguards Lotus Cortina variations. I took two and fixed them to the grille, which hides the damage. I still intend to change the wheels for something like a set of slotmags or Rostyles, so the spotlights will hopefully go with the 'early '80s boy racer' vibe I want to go with on this. For now, I've 'adjusted' the ride height and refitted the L spec steels and hubcaps. They'll have to go though...

IMG_20201011_213901.thumb.jpg.a5dbdc458fd96a764dd225cc00028cdd.jpg

IMG_20201011_213816.thumb.jpg.87d3baa0270ff73a8b24fa750d1012e5.jpg

IMG_20201011_214002.thumb.jpg.cc021349bde0bfc20f89cb0ff0d2b3fa.jpg

Not a brilliant job, but now I've got the Mk3 Vanguards variant I've always wanted, and it was a nice way to kill an hour or so on a Sunday afternoon!

24 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Some good models those Polistil but they always seemed to fall to bits, namely the seat backs and grilles etc. 

I got the red Polistil Mini Cooper with the roof rack full of rallye stuff on a Christmas present - it all fell off in quick succession and I was careful with my toys!

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

Some good models those Polistil but they always seemed to fall to bits, namely the seat backs and grilles etc. 

Yes.  I'll dig out my 1:30 Silver Cloud

It is a Rolls Royce, but with the build quality of something from Greece

17 hours ago, stuboy said:

Rescued from toddler toybox.  says made in china

20201011_085715.jpg

Good rescue!

I have had one of those for 30 years.  A Fiat 131 Mirafiori was my first car, you see

IMG_0002.thumb.JPG.6a2790b6feac67b4bd32c610b375109d.JPG

Base has no  branding but says 'No.4111' and 'MADE IN HONG KONG'.  I read elsewhere the brand is High Speed

IMG_0003.JPG

540x360.jpg

McVities made a very large order of multiple thousands of the original Jaffa Mobile in 1976, the #37 Soopa Coopa in orange. Due to the huge public demand for this model, offered on packets of McVities Jaffa Cakes, more models were ordered in 1977. However the Soopa Coopa had just been deleted, so the #42 Tyre Fryer was substituted, and again many thousands were produced in orange. Whilst both are considered rare and command high prices when mint, in fact both these models are quite easy to obtain, due to the vast quantities made and distributed.  [lamleygroup.com]

2 hours ago, antony denman said:

... a nice porsche 911 covered in snow...

SAM_4701.JPG

I'd forgotten how Polistil used to do that weird spattering effect for snow and mud - my cousin had a couple like that, a 2CV and a Lancia coupe.

I always thought he'd left them out by mistake when the ceiling was being painted...

As we have been talking about them, here is my early casting of the Dinky Transit.

It's slightly smaller than the later ones but overall the casting looks similar on the nearside. It still has an opening side door but the rear has standard twin van doors rather than the nice tailgate of later models.

I prefer this one though for its early style grille arrangement, jewelled headlights and sliding door with driver, even if it's all a bit wonky. The suspension is also very soft.

I did have a couple of later MK1s but sold them on. 

IMG_20201011_183955.jpg

IMG_20201011_183947.jpg

39 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

As we have been talking about them, here is my early casting of the Dinky Transit.

It's slightly smaller than the later ones but overall the casting looks similar on the nearside. 

Is it? I always thought they'd just modified the casting, but as I don't like the sliding door version I've only ever had the later MK1 and the MK2.

IMG_20201011_184056.thumb.jpg.0dc32fb1eab8614ee21fe11ef8b7d062.jpg

Round the corner from the McGregor Road Garages are the ones at the very end of Melrose Road.

These are all home to cars which have been either stored there for many years or abandoned for a similar amount of time.

Jonny and Chrissy Shanks, 2 brothers at number 3 Millcroft Road (A.K.A. 'Basra') reported that all 4 garages 'just blew open'  in the 'wind we hud last nicht'.

On the left is Mr Hamptons Ford Pinto which he brought over with him when he immigrated from Canada in 1980. It's still in good condition but the blue vinyl seats were becoming too uncomfortable for his back so he bought a Rover 45 1.4 iS to replace it back in 2000 and it hasn't moved since.

Next in is Mr John Story's Volvo 740. Unfortunately due to his name, height and dapper appearance, he was confused with the perpetually disgraced TV and radio celebrity John Leslie, who also drove an identical car from 1990 to 1991 which he was 'gifted' by the producers of 'Wheel of Fortune'.  As such, The Gasworks Gang shot a hole in the windscreen with an airgun, missing Mr Story but causing him to bump into one of them, quite fast, denting the bonnet. Unfortunately Mr Story had to move shortly after however time has stood still for the old Volvo.

Next door is Mrs Irvine's Dyane. She wanted something safer by 1990 and bought a MK2 Polo. Jimmy Shaw proprietor of the local car breakers Lochend Autos said he would buy it from her and 'see if there was anything he could do with it' but he never collected it and it's stayed there ever since. Mrs Irvine is still around but doesn't need a car now that her son helps her with getting about.

Lastly is a fine car owned by Mr Iain Frame. He was the Regional Manager for Pearl Assurance but retired in 1980 and the Lovely Zodiac was laid up in favour of Mrs Frames little Mini Ritz. All are now long gone but the Zodiac was left to his son who currently lives in Lesmahagow and plans to bring it down to his house once his new garage is finished.

Next is a little yard owned by Thomas Gilliland, long since ceased operating. The Leyland FG looks very small against the Leyland Roadtrain which has been fitted with a smaller Roadrunner cab from a 7.5 tonner to make it lighter.

All the area is due to be cleared for a so called 'premium' housing complex. Oh dear.

7 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

On the left is Mr Hamptons Ford Pinto which he brought over with him when he immigrated from Canada in 1980. It's still in good condition but the blue vinyl seats were becoming too uncomfortable for his back so he bought a Rover 45 1.4 iS to replace it back in 2000 

Returning to reality for a moment - what make is the Pinto (other than Ford)?

51 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

Is it? I always thought they'd just modified the casting, but as I don't like the sliding door version I've only ever had the later MK1 and the MK2.

Standby for some HOT TRANSIT ACTION later on, once I've managed to get some pics sorted due to this stupid Firefox glitch.

(Spoiler alert - totally different castings)

1644743219_IMG_20201011_1811012.thumb.jpg.d1bb35713a126415820c44102ded14ad.jpg