Shite in Miniature II

Split_Pin

3 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Just checked the postbox, and arrivals from Scotland have occurred...

1093253006_IMG_20200928_1735512.thumb.jpg.35f95dc0864b74c8fea92641fde7c4c4.jpg

All thanks to @Split_Pin
for these (though what Royal Mail's been doing with them for the past week is anyone's guess)

Cheers dude! Will enjoy opening those later!

Glad they arrived, I was getting worried. Flip only knows what would have happened if I had posted them 2nd class!

6 hours ago, bunglebus said:

lastly, the Zodiac that Datsuncog picked up for me is missing the one part I really needed for my restored one; the NSR door card. Got to laugh...

20200928_141640.thumb.jpg.50b3a603107402a84c1ccaa52479eba5.jpg

I am missing the Zodiac from the collection back here.... up for swaps?    

I have a spare Corgi Ferrari 250 LM

20200928_214909484_iOS.thumb.jpg.884dc48333317ae15f6a880e0691eec5.jpg20200928_214857506_iOS.thumb.jpg.e4fdc3940010c350cff9e75b72547c38.jpg

1 hour ago, Split_Pin said:

Glad they arrived, I was getting worried. Flip only knows what would have happened if I had posted them 2nd class!

Well indeed! Dunno whether there was some kinda Covid-related sorting office mishap, as we had no post at all during the latter half of last week - but jolly pleased they showed up! Now liberated from their plastic prisons to live free...

621392874_IMG_20200928_2314132.thumb.jpg.00203da5bd8b8aa3e8670069de7f605e.jpg

Thanks so much!

8 hours ago, flat4alfa said:

I am missing the Zodiac from the collection back here.... up for swaps?    

I have a spare Corgi Ferrari 250 LM

I don't know. It's the police version, with the driver which I didn't have, but it missing the bonnet. Heard bad things about white metal parts being fairly crap, if such a replacement part even exists.

As for Ferraris, not a massive fan although there are a few that I like.

Think it's just going to go into storage for now, maybe a battered one with a bonnet will emerge from somewhere 

Anybody got one of these lying around, preferably a bit worn?

1257729945_DC050.thumb.jpg.a04115a0bbd9d6e30025d27febfbcb7b.jpg

It's "Christine" I'm referring to: the Hot Wheels Plymouth.  It was, of course, never issued as a Christine but that isn't important.  I want one to dress up as this:

741754681_RoysPlymouth.jpg.ea844692c861322c7f6464a3a633e871.jpg

...to go with my California Kid Ford coupe.

By the way: I know one or two of you are holding models for me.  I'm afraid I've forgotten who and what, so could you PM me please with the details?

Pop to your local supermarket/toy shop and buy the current one, it's the same casting

hwflame57fury__00026.1593455283.jpg?c=2

I have the "Christine" one, boxed, but I made this

036_zpsvqmvnqhq

From this

20190825_120834

Only downside is coloured windows, next release is blue with yellow glass.

Last one released with clear windows was this

Hot Wheels Jukebox - Rock & Roll 57 Plymouth Fury

4 hours ago, bunglebus said:

I don't know. It's the police version, with the driver which I didn't have, but it missing the bonnet. Heard bad things about white metal parts being fairly crap, if such a replacement part even exists.

164 Ford Zodiac bonnet £0.95

95 of the Queen's pence isn't a biggie though?  Bargain really

164 Ford Zodiac rear door interior panels LH or RH red plastic Each £1.05

164 red rear light jewel Each £0.35  ; 164 orange rear indicator jewel Each £0.35

Likewise.  I tend to equate most things against the price of a pint of beer.  Beer doesn't last as long and is more expensive.   😌

I’ve seen The California Kid film, we had it on tape years ago, it’s one of those bizarre seventies films that’s never on tv. We had it taped off the telly from the ITV Nightshift when they used to play really odd imports like this. It’s full of fifties American chod and some laughable storylines. Almost as good as 1977’s ‘The Car’ with James Brolin.  

Saw this on eBay local to me with a few frankly terrible pictures. Turns out the guy works at the local antiques place and has a box full of old cars to get rid of. 

Scene of the crime pic, I'll get it home for a clean and decide whether it needs as resto as planned or just live with the patina. It's a cool piece anyway with with the side hinged bonnet and tipping seats, and is complete

16013847161821342604325134451504.jpg

Fapping awesome, thanks - lots of stuff in those catalogues was either never made, or at least only in sample batches - those Champs, for example, the legendary Granada (a couple exist as unassembled cars) and of course the Steed Jag, as well as the Avengers gift set.

If you look at the Steed Jags closely, there are several different castings used, probably wooden or resin mockups. The arches are different, and as I mentioned the other day, the Big Cat has no rear spoiler and the boot design seen in the 1977 catalogue in Leyland livery. 

I don't think the 390 customised MK2 Transit was ever released - also a mock-up, front end looks like a modified MK1 and different to production versions

206 customised Corvette I'm pretty sure never saw the light of day

Pretty sure the SD1 never came out in red

Was it just a case of the closure announced suddenly? Events like this and Lesney folding in ‘82 fascinate me. What would have happened to all the prototypes or unmade models? Presumably chucked in a skip.

On 28 days later there is a visit to the old Lesney Factory at Hackney Wick, no trace there whatsoever of its diecast heritage, looked like it had been a factory making anything but model cars. From my research the factory was used for a few years until the early 90’s for the surviving diecasting part of the business, for whatever reason they passed the Rochford site on the Universal but kept back the Hackney site which makes sense. Production of the Superkings and the Super GT’s continued until around 85/86 then the lot went to Macau. 

As I understand it, the factory closed with very little warning to the workforce, who then had a sit-in (and probably liberated some stuff), but they'd already started outsourcing production to Hong Kong and Italy (?). The company carried on for a few more years but various projects never came to fruition, and eventually they went into receivership. I'm sure someone else will know more, I just spent a few hours on a die cast forum the other night finding out about the Steed Jag/Big Cat