Shite in Miniature II

Split_Pin

12 hours ago, flat4alfa said:

I gave it a go earlier on    ..if only to see how bad the limitations are on a £50 inkjet printer

Step 1:  Create plates, choosing a pre-2001 font, then screen grab each separately (because the 'download' function on the website adds a watermark)

1.png

Step 2:  Measure a full size number plate - the one I had to hand was 52cm x 11cm.  Using a paint program (this one is freely available) resize each plate to the 'print size' of 51cm wide 11cm tall, so they are each now 'full-size'

2.png

Step 3: Place each plate onto one single image together

3.png

Step 4:  Determine the percentage to shrink them by and resize to that percentage

4.png

5.png

Step 5:  Print the image onto label paper, so they can stick straight on after cutting out

20200622-183301230-i-OS.jpg

Step 6:  Pour a beer and sing about the printing ability of a cheap domestic inkjet printer

unnamed.jpg

The way I found was to put the number on the fancyplates site and then use the Snipping tool and save it as a Jpeg.

Then use a blank Word doc and add the ruler. Measure the size of plate wanted and insert the picture of the number plate and size as required. Then print. I added several sizes, just to be sure before printing and used the best one.

21 hours ago, flat4alfa said:

Yes as Bramz7 says, it’s a Stahlberg

Other models in their 1/20 scale include Volvos 343/360/142/164, Golf mk1 and a Merc W123 Estate (which I would love to have!) 

Later models include SAAB 9000 which must be the shite grail.  That is under brand Emek-Muovi, who bought-out Stahlberg

I have a Stahlberg Volvo 240 myself, it was given to me by a good friend of mine who worked at my local youth service. He was decluttering some stuff before leaving for Italy, and he found this which was a present from the Volvo dealer he bought his second-hand 240 from.  I wonder where he is now, a friend of his said he's in Portugal now, another said he's in Taiwan!

IMG_4092.thumb.JPG.bc4e9143166e833b2226f3a273f85bd7.JPG

IMG_4093.thumb.JPG.f8028fc8c3d576f6a65b7d254f13ded8.JPG

4 hours ago, hennabm said:

The way I found was to put the number on the fancyplates site and then use the Snipping tool and save it as a Jpeg.

Then use a blank Word doc and add the ruler. Measure the size of plate wanted and insert the picture of the number plate and size as required. Then print. I added several sizes, just to be sure before printing and used the best one.

Either way, a home budget printer will struggle with quality at such a small size.  Which printer do you have?

I save as uncompressed file type such as .TIF to keep the quality at the best it can be.  A compressed format such as JPEG or GIF will introduce artefacts that will likely spoil the image at such small scale

On 6/21/2020 at 9:50 PM, Split_Pin said:

If you have access to a printer, just go onto fancyplates.com and you can make your own in the correct pre 2001 font.

All done!

Couldn't believe how tiny the model was. Detail is brilliant though, so that's the main thing. Turns out it's 1/76, which is about the length of a gnats whisker.

Bit of a ballache as I wasn't happy with the size of the first couple of test plates. Got there in the end though. Plates laminated and glued on. I'm going to take a sneaky photo of it in front of her mother's house on Sunday, which will be the first time a terracotta mk1 Fez like her first car has been seen outside the place since the late 90s ?

20200623_165000.jpg

20200623_165026.jpg

20200623_165120.jpg

At the daily Garden Table Meet, earlier.....

Both nearer 1/28 scale

Airfix Aston Martin DBS.  One of the programmable self-driving cars in the ‘Datamatic’ range.  All-plastic, made in Hong Kong so maybe they sourced it elsewhere (@Datsuncog?) as the dimensions are a bit off - but there aren’t any other DBS in this size to choose from as far as I could gather.  It’s 50 years old and pretty good really.  Paid well for it a year back, as the body shell alone is sought-after by slot car builders.  Got an original box and all the programming discs for it now, so should do well on it when it’s time to sell

9AF8BA8B-76D0-486B-93D6-929218B5A043.jpeg

Toy State Lotus Espirit.  This one plays 007 music and also engine sounds. It also lunges off forwards after the revving sound plays and clouts the skirting board.  It’s plastic, but you wouldn’t know it as it has weight to it and is nicely done.  Made in China and pretty cheap for what you get.  Bought new to convert into slot car use, having its own motor already; but it’s a bit too nice after all to chop about just yet.

630D7DDF-D6A1-4D2F-AB6E-F199A25DE37E.jpeg

1DE2BB3C-C4BE-40B5-ABF5-247EF2C53D22.jpeg

35 minutes ago, Amishtat said:

15929887859408878938054775140250.jpg

What sort of money's being asked for those Corgi Commercials?

Would go to £7.50 each (or thereabouts) for the bin lorry and snowplough... possibly the Transit breakdown, too.

(Appreciate you may have moseyed on by now, but just in case they're still there in future weeks...)

Sorry DC, I didn’t see your post until after I'd left! He'd got a tenner each on them but I'll be back next week if it's not raining. Definitely much fewer items of interest today, although I did chat to a couple of stallholders who said they'd got boxed Seventies and Eighties Corgis, and that they'll bring them next time around. Not a resounding success today really, although I didn't come away empty handed. 

Only just caught up.  I've been tutoring my child because it's a schoolday 

Did you get either of the plastic Golfs?

They are worth a bit more than that when tidy as the clockwork mechanism also plays a siren.  I've a Scirocco that makes my wife scream when she hears it