Shite in Miniature II

Split_Pin

Tragically, there's no tat today!

St George's Market is shut today, as it's the Glorious Twelfth - NI's premier sectarian public holiday event - and everything, everything is closed so some lads can walk the streets waving their flags and banging a drum in honour of some Dutch fella three hundred odd years ago, before going and getting drunk in a field.

It's all as good as it sounds.

I'm making the most of this holiday by sorting out the shelving in the shed today...

A lot of locals go away on holiday around this time (mainly to get offside in case of trouble) so I'm guessing that Market Blokey might be doing the same, hence his no-show last week.

I can but fantasize that he'll return from his fortnight in Fuerteventura with bags full of Guisval and Mira diecast, and maybe some Spanish Dinkys for good measure...

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

Whaaaaa!

To compensate we’ll have to trade facts on 1980’s Matchbox. Does anyone remember the ‘World Class’ ones they did with the rubber tyres and extra detailing. At the time they were more expensive, definitely into Siku territory.?

I've got a few of those,they are quite nice.They also did a few of the larger cars in a similar style.

15 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Still looking for the Volvo 760 World Class. Yes you are right they did the world class in the super kings, the green XJ40 sticks in my mind.

Got a feeling I may have a spare Volvo 760,I'll have a look when I get in.                           I had the green XJ40,also a Porsche 911 in pearl white.

On 7/9/2019 at 9:27 PM, Noel Tidybeard said:

ohnoes i might* have just accidentaly* boughted both red & white

Arrival today !

1:24 in scale, making them 18cm long and 5.5 cm wide.  Not only that, they are nice too - WITH OPENINGS 

May* motorise them for slot use and sell one of the red ones to fund the project

WP_20190712_16_37_01_Pro.jpg

2 hours ago, bunglebus said:

Poundland now have boxed Matchbox. Seen pics of some nice ones online, mine had all 4x4 type castings

48249557717-8f08154781-k.jpg

My escapades exceed Caddy Escalades
I best behave to the rhythm of justice slaves
Selected brave ah lecture me extra waves
Doggin your sounds causing you clowns just to cave

/ as you were

2 hours ago, auld_ALS said:

Welcome back to Poundland, Matchbox. I have always preferred the subjects and execution of these over Hot Wheels.

20190713_140044.jpg

20190713_185708.jpg

20190713_185933.jpg

20190713_190131.jpg

Think I’ll attack (not literally) Poundland tomorrow, I like the old style boxes like that. If you are very careful you can open the box with minimal damage and retain the box for the future. 

9 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Think I’ll attack (not literally) Poundland tomorrow, I like the old style boxes like that. If you are very careful you can open the box with minimal damage and retain the box for the future. 

All of the ones in the case were held closed with a small piece of sellotape so I just sliced that to open it and now still have an immaculate box :)

Apart from a BMW i thingy, most seemed to be 4x4 or SUVs. Hopefully future cases will have saloons or something.

A few weeks back, I mentioned on here that I was on holiday in the US at the time and had picked up a couple of small cars to bring home. I'll admit that despite covering a bit of ground on our trip, opportunities for me to splash some holiday money on such things was scant, hence my meagre offering, thus:

48237507752_b618907771_b.jpg

Please ignore the price sticker still on the roof, as a slow attempt to remove it saw almost all of the roof paint coming off with it, so I've left it on until I have a novel idea. Couldn't really pass up a Tootsietoy opportunity (when in Rome and all that) but talk about built down to a price! The whole rustic nature of the design and manufacturing standards is part of the appeal I suppose but I won't be rushing to add any more to my 'collection'.

48237422101_7a0270ef05_b.jpg

Actually, I immediately reneged on the above statement, as on offer was also a rendition of a Land Rover, presumably modelled on a child's drawing of one. The rear windows on both models* are filled in, so as to hide the tangs attached to the roof that act as axle locators. Unfortunately, neither specimen came with the Christmas cracker they presumably originated from. All joking aside, I hope these were far, far cheaper than Lesneys of the time.

48237507927_5e046f6de4_b.jpg

On the subject of Matchboxes, here's a Capri I picked up also, mostly on account of the novelty factor of picking up an English toy in America and taking it home to New Zealand. I also liked the pink. Perhaps controversially,  I also think this casting would look EXCELLENT with a lower ride height and running on the skinny Superfast wheels, as it might then look like a Capri. This one had no tow bar, so I'm guessing that someone removed it back in the day, as it is a bit incongruous a choice of casting for a tow bar. I have the later issued Maxi Taxi in my childhood stash, which I wasn't a fan of due to the sticky out engine and 2 door body as a taxi. It seems I was a very literal child, prone to shunning whimsy.  

NB: Appallingly, the Firestone building was demolished in 1980, the day before it was to become grade II listed. Therefore, that's a very late photo of it, since there's a Mk1 Astra featured. 

48237508007_7e65d50cc5_b.jpg

Finally, I picked this Dinky SAAB up for similar reasons to the Capri but I'm guessing that Dinkys were a little more unusual in the States, compared to Matchboxes - that's my hunch at least. The door framing is slightly too naive in relation to the rest of the body casting but it's a very nice effort all in all, if a little off scale in places. It's currently sitting on a shelf next to my Gama VW 411, as I think their slightly clumsy dimensions compliment each other quite well.

More updates to come, as I can't seem to stop buying miniature tut.