Shite in Miniature II

Split_Pin

Lovely weather and lunchtime have crashed into each other so it's a great opportunity for me to share the completed 4CV with you all.  There's things I learned from this and things I'll do better next time, namely the glass.  My idea for the glass worked on the test samples but didn't work that well on the actual model, so I'll know for the future that I should mask off the areas I want to remain clear unless I want foggy plastics.  Likewise the chrome didn't weather quite the way the sample suggested it would.  The chrome turned out better than expected, that said, the satin varnish coat really helped give it that look of dull chrome and helped the washes afterwards stick without need of cutting back through to reveal shiny chrome.  Number plates were hand painted, naturally, though I had a slight case of exploding brush syndrome so they don't look quite as nice as I'd hoped they would.

Still, it'll do.

post-5335-0-89315900-1553177957_thumb.jpg

post-5335-0-23089900-1553177958_thumb.jpg

post-5335-0-55508500-1553177958_thumb.jpg

post-5335-0-89036100-1553177958_thumb.jpg

post-5335-0-19488700-1553177959_thumb.jpg

post-5335-0-46322700-1553177959_thumb.jpg

I found bits of a kit I ruined several years ago and which I've robbed parts from for other projects since.  It's in a sorry state.  It's also complete enough to do *something* with.  It's missing the instrument cluster, most of the rear lights, both front quarter light frames, engine, gearbox, prop shaft, and some bits of the suspension.  I can get most of these bits from other kits or, since the bonnet is glued shut, not worry about the underpinnings.  We shall see.

post-5335-0-72194500-1553178418_thumb.jpg

post-5335-0-51650600-1553178419_thumb.jpg

post-5335-0-77820500-1553178419_thumb.jpg

I think it was originally a Revell build-it-two-ways kit with the option to make bone stock or 60s custom versions.  This is halfway between the two looking at what bits are on it.  Undecided what I'll do with it at the moment so it can sit in the queue behind the HSHR while I decide.

I built quite a few of those stock orcustom kits, mine were mostly AMT fro memory. I made a bloody awful job of them too, despite my favourite, the '53 Studebaker actually having idiot lines moulded into the pillars if you wanted the roof chop version. God knows what happened to them but they've been lost over the years, even if they hadn't I'd be too embarrassed to show them to you!

Amish: could have been an AMT now you say that.  I remember there were several options, all dull, and this one stood out as being interesting which is why I bought it.  Slightly over ambitious on my part at the time since I didn't have the skills to do it justice.  Thankfully, what I did do is, for the most part, reversible, especially knowing what I know now.  If you do have the courage to share your attempts, I'd very much like to see.

Fairly sure they were binned years ago (deservedly..) I don't recall all the makers but I had a 57 Chevrolet, a 36 Ford (some Dick Tracy connection I think), the Studebaker and a few muscle cars but there must be a good few I've forgotten. The only one I know the whereabouts of was that 70 Dodge I posted on here a few weeks ago.

The fogging in this case was deliberate, I was trying to make them dirty, so gave them a coat of satin varnish.  My test samples showed the varnish could then be removed and leave clear plastic but for some reason, on the kit, it left cloudy plastic instead.  Bit of a nuisance.  Got around it by using Citadel Ard Coat on the bits I wanted clear since it's really good for undoing varnish damage.

Recently received a delivery from our Burnside and I feel this beauty is worthy of it's own post.

Apart from the fact it looks just like it came right out of 1990, this Joal example is heavy and softly sprung so the springs actually deflect with the car's weight. The similar Solido example I also have is flimsy in comparison.

I found a Dinky tyre that roughly fitted and glued the rear light and steering wheel back on.

Outstanding.

post-3238-0-99798500-1553186056_thumb.jpg

Absolutely 100% complete! Will not paint.

Glad your pleased with it Split_Pin as it was all my doing! With the Humbrol paints. On the Kitchen table in about 1991 aged 7.

I think it's softly sprung suspension was one of the reasons I'd brought it. I got this 2nd hand from a Classic Car Show my Dad took us too along with this Guiloy Renault 14 below.

An yes I also did the Humbrol repaint to it with added tide line. Which I copied from the real one I use to see near my school, except that one was Gold.

post-3802-0-09335700-1553213254_thumb.jpg

Had a little bit of time after work to do a bit more on the Monaco.  Now I've got the vinyl roof on and have been fiddling with some details, in profile it looks right.  I need to adjust the rear suspension once completed to make sure the arch gap and rake are like this, dry-fitting the kit is demonstrating that finding just where the body actually fits together isn't exactly clear and I suspect I'm going to lose too much height out of the rear once built.

post-5335-0-30338700-1553215353_thumb.jpg

Modified the masking tape vinyl roof approach for two reasons.  The first is that I wanted the roof to look knackered, so it needed to be lifting on the C pillars and shredded on the top.  The second reason is that my tape wasn't wide enough to do the roof centre panel in one piece.  I also folded the edges for the centre panel to make a more convincing seam before using a thin smear of superglue to hold it down where needed.

post-5335-0-49918200-1553215509_thumb.jpg

post-5335-0-58317800-1553215591_thumb.jpg

To deform the tape you just use a variety of metal tools - scissors, craft knife, sculpting tool - to push the paper around and shred it a bit before sticking it down.  Very experimental.  The tape behaves a lot like you'd expect fragile vinyl to and it tears and deforms in a very similar way.  The texture on this blue tape seems a good match for vinyl too. I'm doing at this stage before primer because the primer will help seal it to the car and, if I need to alter it as I build up the damage on the car, it's easier to undo at this stage.  Right now, I'm very happy with it.  Got most of the engine together too, I'll be keeping the rocker covers chrome and the rest will be stock and grimy, that fits with the idea behind this car.

post-5335-0-04347900-1553215733_thumb.jpg

On the chrome sprue there was a pair of spotlights.  Not the best casting, and that's fine, because this car should be sketchy.  For the wonky one I drilled the hole for its peg slightly off and then glued it in.

post-5335-0-46942600-1553215790_thumb.jpg

I was considering stealing the front seats from the T-bird kit for this instead of the bench seat, which would also allow me to fit the spare floor shifter I've got, they just look a bit on the small side so I'm undecided on that at the moment.

Glad your pleased with it Split_Pin as it was all my doing! With the Humbrol paints. On the Kitchen table in about 1991 aged 7.

I think it's softly sprung suspension was one of the reasons I'd brought it. I got this 2nd hand from a Classic Car Show my Dad took us too along with this Guiloy Renault 14 below.

An yes I also did the Humbrol repaint to it with added tide line. Which I copied from the real one I use to see near my school, except that one was Gold.

20190321_235930.jpg

Superb! I even got the date roughly correct!

Not very much of great excitement to report on the Belfast Tat Exchange this morning, investors...

1950s playworn military and commercial Dinkys remain static at a fiver each - with no investors quite eager enough to snap them up, it would seem.

20190322_103136.jpg

1970s/80s Mettoy Corgis were down two points overnight, with only busted-window wrecks now remaining. Even at £3, these are bound to take a tumble.

20190322_103116.jpg

Matchbox Speed Kings single seater racing cars and tatty Corgi JPS Lotuseseses are in the ascendent, but for how long? Unusual Hong Kong JPS may prove canny for those with specific interests in the Eastern markets.

20190322_103206.jpg

Rash speculation on boxless Corgi Classics and MB Yesteryears never ends well, but base prices remain low and some investors still seem to find them appealing. Spot price of £2 - £3 per unit has been quoted, unlikely to fall further. The smart money says to avoid, however, unless you're planning a very long-term investment.

20190322_103236.jpg

TatBox summary: smashed up Superfasts, Corgi Juniors and Majorette are all static this week, with a small spike for some MB Superkings trailers and a fucked Dinky DeTomaso Mangusta that might have been dumped by overseas speculators taking fright at recent political developments.

20190322_103005.jpg

20190322_103048.jpg

Some market movement towards restorable tat procurement for Vulgalour Diecast Holdings has been rumoured.

Reserve Selection summary: no new stocks appearing, we appear to be largely in a holding pattern.

20190322_102826.jpg

The damaged Driving School Triumph Acclaim continues to have a degree of investor appeal, though cracked glazing could mean a haircut for more nervous speculators like myself.

Tidybeard Investments had expressed interest in shorting the market on Dinky Rangies: with melted glazing and both front doors and boot hatch broken, not to mention cockamamie axles, IFA advice would be to stay away from this fire service example at a fiver.

20190322_102855.jpg

20190322_102926.jpg

Dinky Volvo 265DL stocks also proved no longer available on the exchange this morning.

Long term forecast: after some excellent investor news over the past three weeks, we appear to be experiencing something of a slowdown. However, previous patterns indicate that an upswing may well be due in coming weeks.

Now over to Alan with the sport.

On 3/22/2019 at 11:27 AM, egg said:

Whats this DC please? Is it saveable? Ta.

Inkedpost-17915-0-23798500-1553251872_LI.jpg

That there is a Matchbox Superkings Mercury Commuter race support car... it should be kind of a lime green, but has been heavily 'weathered' (brown Humbrol...) - if you fancy having a bash at saving it, I'm sure it'll strip back to bare metal ok?