Shite in Miniature II

Split_Pin

That's an enviable collection, and very nicely displayed. Good job, chap.

I'm in a similar boat, as I'm also trying to track down some of the toys I 'modified' with a claw hammer and bench vice when I was about six, for my 'toy scrapyard' (I was very into scrapyards). Those that were spared that onslaught later received some most interesting custom paints jobs involving Humbrol/Tamiya paints, including the glazing. In despair at my younger self, I sold them all last year as restoration projects. I know...

Consequently, I'm starting afresh by collecting up the Corgi/Matchbox/Bburago catalogues of the era to jog my memory, before starting to look for particular models - both those I owned, and those I wanted to own but never did.

If there's anything you're looking for in particular, I'd be happy to keep my eyes peeled on your behalf.

Me too. I used to squash the cars and also put newspaper in them and set them on fire and make a scrapyard...  :shock:

*Please don't play with matches.

Whilst rummaging through the box's of diecast tat that I have amassed,I discovered some more Corgi Transit campers.

attachicon.gif20190306_151001.jpg

attachicon.gif20190312_161647.jpg

Four more to be exact.

Seemed a shame not to tidy them up.

attachicon.gif20190317_121709.jpg

attachicon.gif20190317_121754.jpg

Of course they were missing the rear tailgate,so I fashioned some out of plastic!

I have eight of these now!!

Only one has come into my possession with its original tailgate intact!

attachicon.gif20190317_121928.jpg

attachicon.gif20190317_122136.jpg

Smoll eddy is less than impressed.

Of course if I do find others and the price is right they'll be added to the collection too,right smoll Eddy?

"Oh ffs m8"

:mrgreen:

Another model for my 'want' list... cheers!

Some older regular wheels lesney cars now,

Started out with these,

attachicon.gif20190312_162727.jpg

attachicon.gif20190312_162719.jpg

attachicon.gif20190312_162708.jpg

Ended up like this,

attachicon.gif20190317_124458.jpg

attachicon.gif20190317_124426.jpg

attachicon.gif20190317_124344.jpg

"You like these then smoll Eddy?"

"Yes,m8"

"More your era?"

"No M8,its 'cos I look less smoll beside 'em"

:mrgreen:

What paints do you use?

I remember being appalled by some kids at junior school who used to use a bolt, protruding from the ground as an anchor for a litter bin which had been removed, as an anvil to crush and snap 1:43 cars in as few jumps as possible.  Some break times would destroy double figures of cars.

Some remarkable work going on here, I must avoid being drawn in.

Okay then - just as an aide memoire (because hey, my memoire needs all the aide it can get these days), this is the current state of play from the Datsuncog Friday Market Bargain Twunt (and earlier diecast sales from this thread) on behalf of fellow-shiters, to the best of my understanding. If you spot any discrepancies/have changed your mind, do let me know.

***Please note I'm not demanding payment or anything; this is just what's sitting in the boxes currently. I'm more than happy to keep Shiters' boxes open pending further market stall finds! But if you're sure you're all done for this round, then simply whack me over a PM and I'll get you a final price including postage.***

So, just to wrap things up from Friday past and earlier:

For Lord Sterling:

New Ray Citroen C4 berline and Czech tinplate garage, from the January clear-out:

20190317_111353.jpg

For Amishtat - now all squared up, packed and on its merry way:

On 3/1/2019 at 11:23 AM, Amishtat said:

The red Rolls from the boxes at the back please

Dinky Hudson and Packard and the Plymouth Suburban if I may, please

Actually can I have the Impala too please? Useful for spares

20190317_112113.jpg

Nice haul, that.

For the Junkmeister:

On 3/1/2019 at 11:10 AM, Junkman said:

That'll be the Dinky traffic signs, the Royce Silver Wraith and the Euclid dump truck for me, please.

So it is too late for that Dinky Caddy?

The traffic signs were a touch steep, the dump truck was already gone - but the Silver Wraith and Eldorado were scooped up and are safely awaiting their next adventure.

20190317_112022.jpg

For Mercrocker:

On 3/1/2019 at 11:24 AM, mercrocker said:

Mr Cog, I would much like the Dinky RR Shadow (its the red one top LH corner in the box in Pic 5) and also the Corgi Classics lilac Renault in its box above the Indian fellows in Pic 3.  And that little tin BOAC plane too!

Only the 'Made in Japan' tinplate Comet was available when I went back, but it's a nice little thing regardless.

20190317_111317.jpg

For TheDoctor:

On 3/15/2019 at 9:56 AM, TheDoctor said:

Could you please grab me the lotus europa and white Volvo estate in the second last pic for me please? And the Rover Sd1 police car from third last pic.

Any other SD1s greatly appreciated. Have a bit of a thing for them, must own one - one day.

Managed to bag the repainted Europa, the Volvo and not one but two Corgi SD1s in police livery - one early Corgi Juniors version with plastic base, rear tailgate glazing and paper stickers, and one late version with metal base, no rear glazing and tampo printing. Note also that the lightbar is different, for some reason. Plus an early Juniors civvie version of the SD1.

20190317_111517.jpg

For cms206:

If there's more than one white Volvo can you nab me one too please? I didn't spot the one in the pics quick enough!

... nab us a red one too please. I've had to give up on collecting real Volvos so toy ones are going to have to do.

Two small Volvos procured: the white one (tatty paint but complete) is an earlier Corgi Juniors version, while the red one has the later 1980s Corgi logo on the base. Hadn't realised up to now that the later versions also had the grilles cast as part of the metal body, rather than as part of the black plastic base.

20190317_111454.jpg

For Split_Pin:

On 3/15/2019 at 10:31 AM, Split_Pin said:

In the picture of the Pickfords lorry there is what looks like a Shogun? Can you nab it for me please?

20190317_111919.jpg

20190317_111852.jpg

20190317_111952.jpg

I'd incorrectly identified this as a Welly toy - but it's actually made by 'Joy City'. Still, an unusual model.

For SpottedLaurel:

I keep seeing tempting stuff in these (almost) weekly photos. As I don't seem to be able to get any sales myself at present could I please ask you to pick me up the blue Corgi 1/36 XJC in the first shot, what looks like a silver Merc W114 in the 4th photo (next to a police Jaguar?), and if they're 1/36 caravans in the 5th photo then a couple of those that are in decent nick and ideally with alternative colour schemes.

After some reassessment, it turned out all the caravans were knackered, while the W114 had a creased roof and a broken rear screen - so I left those. But the Jag looks quite nice.

20190317_111717.jpg

20190317_111744.jpg

20190317_111818.jpg

For egg:

Mr Cog - I would take that Lesney bin lorry and horsebox of your hands please, but no urgency - so maybe see if any other reg wheels come along?

Two quite nice little Lesneys - and hopefully an aftermarket door can be obtained for the ERF Marshall horsebox.

20190317_111549.jpg

20190317_111616.jpg

For Vulgalour:

On 3/15/2019 at 1:24 PM, vulgalour said:

I'll take the Pickfords transporter and the bin lorry you rescued if they're still available.  Not too fussed about the horse box since I've already got a couple of those.

The bin lorry was already bagsied, but the Pickfords heavy haulage rig is an interesting 'big' small Lesney... I'll be interested to see what this eventually becomes!

20190317_111643.jpg

And lastly, I just noticed this one from NoelTidybeard (apologies):

would you kindly evaluate/reserve the dinky volvo estate(blue) & police rangerover thankyouplease

Not a bother; late Dinky Volvo is priced at £4 and is very displayable with minimal signs of wear.

post-17915-0-74441600-1550228542 crop.jpg

Dinky Police Rangie is a fiver, and not too bad other than decal wear and that the top part of the split tailgate is missing.

post-17915-0-48379100-1550228484 crop.jpg

If this seems worth a punt, I'll check on Friday and see what's what...

Finally, there's a few other orphan vehicles I've picked up from the market that, realistically, I'm unlikely to do anything with.

If anyone fancies any of these, then 50p each would add them to your box.

20190317_112215.jpg

r20190317_112142.jpg

Phew!

Cheap stuff from our version of poundland!

I think it's branded 151 or similar.

Then finished off with a coat or two of Halfords universal clear lacquer.

Cheap n cheerful.

Aerosol?

They only ever have white, black or primer whenever I'm in there. Don't you use their lacquer?

Gran(dma) Torino is now complete. Or at least as complete as it's likely to get.  I tried to do a little more finessing and kept making silly mistakes so decided it was good enough for a first attempt at this scale.  I'm certainly not unhappy.  Took the photographs outside and was suprised at just how realistic it ends up looking, not perfectly of course since I haven't put a lot of effort into setting up a background or anything, but convincing at a quick glance.

post-5335-0-57215500-1552931076_thumb.jpg

post-5335-0-31094500-1552931077_thumb.jpg

The rear of the car turned out better than the front.  No number plate because I haven't found one I like that I'd want to put on, a job for another day perhaps.

post-5335-0-60370600-1552931077_thumb.jpg

post-5335-0-84603500-1552931077_thumb.jpg

Bit meh about the engine.  It's okay.  I can't get excited by that side of the kit and it perhaps shows.

post-5335-0-18880700-1552931078_thumb.jpg

post-5335-0-54792500-1552931078_thumb.jpg

The interior is the bit I enjoyed doing the most, even if the decals were a pain in the bum, especially getting the tiny silver Gran Torino script ones lined up on the door cards.

post-5335-0-80590500-1552931078_thumb.jpg

post-5335-0-00324700-1552931079_thumb.jpg

All in all, I'm satisfied.  I'm glad I went with this yellow and I'm really pleased that I stuck to the brown interior idea.  The end result is quite pleasing.

post-5335-0-20399900-1552931079_thumb.jpg

post-5335-0-42667400-1552931079_thumb.jpg

And lastly, I just noticed this one from NoelTidybeard (apologies):

Not a bother; late Dinky Volvo is priced at £4 and is very displayable with minimal signs of wear.

attachicon.gifpost-17915-0-74441600-1550228542 crop.jpg

Dinky Police Rangie is a fiver, and not too bad other than decal wear and that the top part of the split tailgate is missing.

attachicon.gifpost-17915-0-48379100-1550228484 crop.jpg

If this seems worth a punt, I'll check on Friday and see what's what...

if the red rangie is in good order i'll take that & the ovlov please

On 3/18/2019 at 11:42 PM, Noel Tidybeard said:
if the red rangie is in good order i'll take that & the ovlov please

Ah yes - the Fire Service Range Rover. Hadn't twigged that was also on the stall!

post-17915-0-29345500-1552642267 (crop).jpg

I'll check it over if it's still there on Friday - I think it's been parked a little bit too close to a conflagration at some point, as the windscreen appears to be a smidge melty. Tailgate components may or may not be there - I'll have a look and let you know how good/bad it is!

On 3/18/2019 at 11:34 AM, mercrocker said:

Can I add the Hatra shovel in the last pic to my aeroplane please!     Many thanks....

On 3/18/2019 at 11:36 AM, cms206 said:

Majorette SAAB plz!!!

On 3/18/2019 at 12:07 PM, Split_Pin said:

Can you add the CLK to my box please.

Happy to square up now or later, should more market stallage be on the horizon.

All added, folks!

No rush on payment or anything; I'm hoping to bop over to St George's on Friday again - and also pay a visit to My Old Toy Box, a place in Belfast's Smithfield Market before too long. The proprietor there sells new & secondhand models - and while a lot of their old stock is MIB and consequently ££££, they also have a fair amount of unboxed stuff for a quid or two, plus other oddities (overseas magazine partworks etc - this is where I picked up the Lada and Dacia 1/43s last year).

So I'll try to facilitate a virtual hoke in there, via the wonders of modern technology, in case there's anything there that appeals.

Courtesy of the Ramrod Collection, I've got this on my desk to build.  Because I'm making use of what was in the box it's not going to be a police car, it's going to be a High School Hot Rod.  I have a very clear vision for how this one will look.  I've been warned this kit isn't the best and the fit and finish on some parts is certainly not great, however, that should work in my favour because of how I want the end result to look.

post-5335-0-46733400-1552959887_thumb.jpg

On 3/17/2019 at 3:53 PM, Sudsprint said:

Well, these are the ones I can remember I spent many a happy hour in the back garden destroying..

Corgi

Man from Uncle Oldsmobile - white (I know.. uber expensive)

Commer camera van - metallic blue

Lions of Longleat Land Rover - white striped

Toyota 2000 You only live Twice -white

E type convertible- chrome 

Batmobile

Austin Cambridge driving school - blue

Elan fixed head - blue/white

Heinkel Bubble car - orange

Adams Probe 16 - maroon

Lincoln Continental- gold

Studebaker Golden Hawk - gold

Standard Vanguard

(Lotus gift set) red trailer and Elan chassis 

Dinky

Nash Rambler estate - yellow/white

BMW 2000 Ti Lux - metallic blue/white

Mercedes 220 (with lights) - metallic blue(?)

Volvo 1800S - metallic red

Aston DB6 - silver

Rolls Royce Silver Shadow  - Metallic red

Ford Corsair 2000E - silver/black roof

Ford Cortina Mk1 (2 Door) gold/white roof

Jaguar E Type - white

Maroon Vauxhall Victor - metallic red

Ford Cortina Mk2 (2 door) - white

Triumph Spitfire - mauve

Triumph Vitesse - green

Triumph 2000- white/blue roof (glider not required) 

Triumph 1300- pale blue

Mini Moke - green

Ford Zodiac Mk 1V -grey

Transit van -colour (?)

Austin 1800 - pale blue

6 Wheel Vega Major Coach - with battery indicators

Hillman Imp - red

Husky -Sunbeam Alpine - metallic brown

Corgi Rockets -Aston Martin DBS - oversize wheels metal flake blue/black bonnet

Also Spot On red Zephyr, blue Austin 1800, blue Morris Minor

Yowsa - that's quite a catalogue! But I'll keep an eye out, and alert you should any of these turn up.

I can't really criticise or condemn, as although my own 'toy scrapyard' might have been of a slightly later era, I'm still somewhat nauseated at all the Matchbox Superfasts and Corgi Juniors I put to the sword for no particular reason... two specific cars that spring to mind are a Corgi Mini Metro in Datapost racing livery (scrunched in the big Record bench vice) and a Dinky Citroen Dyane (clubbed to bits with a hammer on the driveway). Maybe I just don't want to remember any more... I'm still appalled at my uncharacteristically destructive streak, which was fortunately quite short-lived.

I also recall some slightly older kids buying up 10p cars from the toy stall at my primary school's May Festival (of course, I wanted to buy them all - but could only afford two or three) and then being appalled to find the same kids stamping on the cars out in the playground; a Corgi VW Polo in rally trim and a Dinky 'Vanpire' Ford Transit were two of the innocent victims I can still recall, and I was deeply distressed. Maybe it shocked me out of my own hooligan ways.

In later years though (i.e. in my mid-teens), I very much enjoyed building sort of scrapyard dioramas using hundreds of knackered Corgi/Matchbox/Majorette cars that I sourced from car boot sales and charity shops; the worse shape they were in, the better. This came to involve railway modelling scenic accessories, DIY chain-link fences, a yard office, workshops, signwritten yard wagons, forklifts, loose panels and stacks of tyres... all carefully arranged. Wish I'd taken a pic or two of these huge, sprawling minishite yards, but it never occurred to me at the time. Then, of course, I discovered records and girls - and not long after, beer - and that was kinda that...

Still, here's a few pics of a half-assed toy yard I put together one wet afternoon during a bout of unemployment in Brighton many, many years ago using whatever came to hand (some Johnny Lightnings from ModelZone and some wrecked Huskys from Hove YMCA).

P5120342 5-Car Diorama 1.JPG

P5120348 Big Diorama - VW Right.JPG

P5120347 Big Pile Diorama.JPG

Even after I discovered music and girls I never stopped collecting model cars. Probably why I was single until I was 19! Thankfully I've never stopped although things slow from time to time when the activity in the 1/1 fleet gets 'interesting'. Recently though, there havs been lots for sale on here so my collecting has been brought back to life!

I stopped from about 13 to about 29, I got distracted by beer, going out and being repellent to women but I’m back on it now.

Similar to Datsuncog I was obsessed by scrapyards as a kid, in the pre H&S days I remember my dad taking me to the scrappers to get bits for his Sierra. I was fixated with drawing scenes of scrapyards and had a number of broken stuff which I used to arrange in the form of a scrapyard.

What a shame we didn’t all know each other 25 years ago we’d have had a whale of a time!

Eddy's J2 is almost complete.

post-20084-0-56168300-1553002439_thumb.jpg

I glued in replacement rivets right through the base to act as pins for luggage.

post-20084-0-18417900-1553002500_thumb.jpg

In the end I decided to glue a tyre on the rear peg.

post-20084-0-17791500-1553002565_thumb.jpg

I might get some OO scale luggage for the front peg.

Before and after.

post-20084-0-22019900-1553002652_thumb.png

With friend.

post-20084-0-95236200-1553003811_thumb.jpg

I had grand ideas about initiating a repaint of my fleet of Ex Eddy Mercury’s but i don’t like undoing his great work so I’ve left them and enjoy them as they are. When I used to humbrol stuff I always got the stuff everywhere but Eddy you seem to have had the knack of it!

Enjoyed having a bit of a flick through some of my old diecast catalogues earlier this evening...

20190320_001017.jpg

Some I've had for years, some are more recent acquisitions. I should make an effort and fill in some of the gaps, as I do like seeing how castings evolved and were re-used over the years.