Shite in Miniature II

Split_Pin

post-5710-0-74247000-1549217559_thumb.png

Since the new owners walked in late last year, all USA tooling was accumulated in a warehouse in Illinois. The contents of this warehouse are now being shipped to Germany. All of them. So Revell of Germany will be the only entity in charge of what is going to be produced in future.

I consider this a huge step in the right direction, since for the past 40 years the septics have an impeccable track record of being inept to produce the model kits we want.

post-5710-0-85601300-1549217582_thumb.png

Sounds like they are going the right way. This management needs to take on Hornby to sort out the complete fucking mess they are in! Dropping both OOC and 1/50 trucks has pissed a lot of people off, and Zinc pest is back, Granada mk2 plod shiwing blustering and cracking roof pillars.

Zinc pest and paint reaction is ripe, especially with those 'high end' models.

Imagine our surprise when Conrad and I rummaged through my expensive diecasts stash and found that on each and everyone the paint has reacted.

Luckily zinc pest has hitherto eluded me, but this cannot be said of other collections I know.

This has promise.  Mocked it up with some large Husky wheels and axles and haven't yet chopped down the base to get a more proper ride height yet.  The nearest I can find to what the truck might be, or be based on, is a Ford Courier, most of the details line up with the exception of the grille which should have little square sidelight/indicator pods.  Anyway, the eventual goal is to take this from brodozer to gramp's old truck and maybe paint it B  R  O  W  N.

post-5335-0-34500100-1549228987_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile I was able to talk to my agents and they confirm we aren't the only ones underwhelmed by the half arsedness the manufacturers and redistributors displayed at the fair - and in business in general. Mind you, one of my men in the field is a dealer who buys model cars literally by the container load, so you would think they listen to him. But no, arrogance prevails. The to tone at the fair was accordingly toxic.

Mr Lobster, is this in line with your professional experience?

Basically, yes. 

Business is very difficult and there's no realistic sign that 2019 will be any brighter. Number of reasons - consumer confidence amongst them but theres an amazing lack of anything really good that will really grab people and get them spending.The higher priced super cars do sell but I do sometimes wonder how. Horses for courses though. Its not difficult to work out what would sell - and it isn't, despite how many people tell me they'd like to see them,  1:43 Metro, Maestro and Montego models - but seemingly only Oxford are listening as the 1:76 range is consistently excellent. But you've got to sell a lot of 1:76 Oxfords before you start troubling the taxman.

But otherwise, there's very little that excites me generally. Solido will be ok, Norev 1:43s are generally good news (though I've heard little of new stuff from them for beyond mid 2019) and other smaller ranges - Odeon etc as they are nice, niche lines but there's nothing at all that screams 'volume seller' at me. 

I had a look at the 2019 Revell catalogue last week. They're back to doing diecast again although its largely re-issued 1:24 US stuff and the inevitable 1:18 Isetta thus far. Again, not that much to get excited by.

Overall, 2019 worries me. I'm hoping that we see a couple of good partworks come through that might do decent numbers because otherwise it looks a bit bleak.

I had a look at the 2019 Revell catalogue last week. They're back to doing diecast again although its largely re-issued 1:24 US stuff and the inevitable 1:18 Isetta thus far. Again, not that much to get excited by.

Revell has a surprisingly high number of new tooled stuff in its portfolio. More than those slowpokes from Round 2 or Dave Metzner's bunch of dropouts.

I'm surprised that Revell has any 1:18 tooling left at all. They sold a shitload of it to Jadi late last century.

post-5710-0-96519800-1549233442_thumb.jpg

This has promise.  Mocked it up with some large Husky wheels and axles and haven't yet chopped down the base to get a more proper ride height yet.  The nearest I can find to what the truck might be, or be based on, is a Ford Courier, most of the details line up with the exception of the grille which should have little square sidelight/indicator pods.  Anyway, the eventual goal is to take this from brodozer to gramp's old truck and maybe paint it B  R  O  W  N.

attachicon.gifTruck-1.jpg

There's a camper version of that too,with normal ride height  :-)