Shite in Miniature II

Split_Pin

Most of my childhood experience pre-dates the suspension era.  We were lucky if toys had seats or windows - these were only represented in open topped sports cars.

Hey Ray, I've recently picked up something that should be right up your childhood alley, so to speak.

46871702222_85d1f82b2b_z.jpg

Saw this on Trademe and it attracted no other bids, so I got it to add another country to the variety of my 1/43s. It's a Danish made Dodge ambulance by Vilmer, who'd I'd previously not heard of. The spare wheel on the roof is a cunningly disguised steering wheel for the very rudimentary steering, an idea later adopted by Corgi for the Austin A60 learner car, and much later the Corgi Triumph Acclaim motor school car - but that wasn't quite so subtle.

31982747097_17a102f352_z.jpg

The load area is removable, presumably so you could buy separate ones to swap over? A bit like Corgi did with some of their Commer 3/4 tonne models. The canvas load cover is still just attached to the frame and I like its patination. Look at the stitching detail, too!

31982747707_f209d94ea4_z.jpg

Here's the steering mechanism, which is very hit and miss in its workings, no doubt not helped by the chassis, which has been bent. What is nice though is that none of the tyres are perished, which is a bonus.

What's also a bonus of sorts is that there's some form of back story in this, as the guy selling it was the brother of the owner (since passed away), who'd owned it since new and had bought it in the Netherlands in the early 60's. So, an effective single owner before me, which makes no difference at all really but it is nice to have an idea behind its origins. It's obviously in a very play worn condition and that's exactly how it'll stay in my tenure.

A package also arrived last week courtesy of one of my favoured Trademe sellers, who had dropped prices on various 1/43 listings that weren't selling, so I nabbed 6 of them. What's also great about the seller is that he only charges postage for a single item, no matter how many you buy, so total postage came to less than £2.50 and the average price I paid for each item was a smidge over £6, delivered. Here's what I got:

33048438848_bd14fd393d_b.jpg

First up, a Norev Jet Car 504. I'll admit that although it's OK, someone had nabbed the metallic green one I'd truly wanted. That said, the box is psychedelically 70's and in good nick, even though the detailing of the actual car leaves a lot to be desired. That's perhaps part of the pleasure though and it'll have to do, with such a deficit of plastic Norevs in NZ.

46871701502_4202e22ca2_b.jpg

Speaking of low quality Norev Peugeots, here's another one, which came in an equally low-rent box, so presumably made in the early 80's. It's a 305 by the way, in case anyone's unsure.

33048439098_ec23dcb908_b.jpg

At least it has separate headlights, I suppose. And comedy giant 305 bonnet scripture.

33048439928_11e8d06874_z.jpg

With my foray away from my usual fare with the Vilmer Dodge, I went to the other extreme and picked up this Vitesse Cinq, which came in one of those square boxes with a small mirror in the corner, to show off the other side of the model, when it's sat on a shelf. To me, this sparked memories of the stuff that my favourite model shop sold back in the 90's, when I was busy hoovering up all their outdated 80's stuff that I'd find in various nooks and crannies of their overstocked shop.

31982748717_541e717612_z.jpg

After the extreme low quality of the above Peugeots, this is a revelation! Look at all the natty detailing, including the seat covers!

46871700042_c31e659d82_z.jpg

The lines of the heated window are more 1:1 than 1:43, so it's nice to have an endearing fault. Much as I can appreciate this little model, I don't think I'll be going down the Vitesse collecting route in the future but this one can stay.

46871700512_39485c0027_b.jpg

Ignore the Calibra, as this wasn't included from this parcel, though I did pick it up last weekend, so I can now be a member of the Shite in Miniature Gama Calibra owners club. Note comedy angle of opening tailgate.

Anyway, the E36 coupe was selected purely because it was described as being purple and did seem to be so on the listing, though it's quite subdued in actual fact. I like the individual wheel styling of various models that Gama got in to during this period, though I do prefer earlier castings, which are more finely detailed in some areas and endearingly cumbersome in others.

33048437638_7fc94c412c_z.jpg

With that in mind, here's the last one I got, again boxed like all the others. A Gama Mercedes C111, which had been on sale since I'd bought my Gama VW 411 off the same seller a few months back, so presumably these were both in someone's former collection. This is my pick of this selection and surprisingly, the Cinquecento is a close second.

Those of a mathematical bent may have calculated that I'm one car down, which is correct, as I forgot to take snap of it. It's a Solido Peugeot 104, which has plastic wheels that have bubbled up and have the appearance and texture of chewed gum, though I'm hopeful I can fix them up a bit.

Hey Ray, I've recently picked up something that should be right up your childhood alley, so to speak.

46871702222_85d1f82b2b_z.jpg

Saw this on Trademe and it attracted no other bids, so I got it to add another country to the variety of my 1/43s. It's a Danish made Dodge ambulance by Vilmer, who'd I'd previously not heard of. The spare wheel on the roof is a cunningly disguised steering wheel for the very rudimentary steering, an idea later adopted by Corgi for the Austin A60 learner car, and much later the Corgi Triumph Acclaim motor school car - but that wasn't quite so subtle.

31982747097_17a102f352_z.jpg

The load area is removable, presumably so you could buy separate ones to swap over? A bit like Corgi did with some of their Commer 3/4 tonne models. The canvas load cover is still just attached to the frame and I like its patination. Look at the stitching detail, too!

Here's the steering mechanism, which is very hit and miss in its workings, no doubt not helped by the chassis, which has been bent. What is nice though is that none of the tyres are perished, which is a bonus.

What's also a bonus of sorts is that there's some form of back story in this, as the guy selling it was the brother of the owner (since passed away), who'd owned it since new and had bought it in the Netherlands in the early 60's. So, an effective single owner before me, which makes no difference at all really but it is nice to have an idea behind its origins. It's obviously in a very play worn condition and that's exactly how it'll stay in my tenure.

A week or two ago I was asking my younger brother whether he recalled the black diecast van/ambulance we were given in 1958.  It was approximately 1/43rd scale and had steering, operated by a lever which protruded slightly underneath the front bumper.  We were told that it was German but I can't find anything similar under Marklin or Marx or even a generic 'German' search.  Perhaps it was from nearby e.g. Denmark or the Netherlands.  Neither of us can remember what happened to it because it is absent from our respective small hoards of childhood toys.

As I'd mentioned, I also picked up the Calibra this weekend, along with a couple of others, all from my favourite shop in Auckland. Here's the rest:

46198249164_13e1e1b1d3_b.jpg

Solido CX, of I think 90's vintage. It came in a box labelled as a Verem model but the plastic base tells the truth. I'm going 90's purely on box design and lack of web address etc. but again, it's a foray away from my core interest, which is 1/43s that would have likely been played with, rather than displayed. I do quite like it, though.

46871700772_d88a089eb7_z.jpg

This is again a new foray for me but I'd like some more this scale (I do have a Corgi 350SL Mercedes but it's a no-mans-land scale of perhaps 1/40, or something crazy). The R16 is seen here visiting the local scrap lake, in the vein hope that the scrap 16 has seat backs that actually stay upright, as it seems the Corgi gears aren't the hardiest.

46871701022_8fed7719f1_z.jpg

I love the touch of the Whizzwheels model with a Golden Jacks era spare cast in place under the bonnet!

46871704082_13bfcec4d3_z.jpg

Here though is the personal best pick of this bunch, a Schuco E12 BMW I'd previously dismissed, as I'd already got a Solido E12. However, I'm glad I prevailed, as it's a little corker, IMO.

46871703762_c341023e73_z.jpg

Who can resist an opening clam shell bonnet? Not me!

33048440948_24d434ef79_z.jpg

Anyway, let's have a head to head E12 comparison.

46871703202_655ccc0c1b_z.jpg

With the Schuco being an early iteration of an E12 (I wasn't aware of the bonnet change for instance, until I Googled today), I prefer it, although I'll concede that the Solido has better detailing and much better quality control.

46871702892_163209b19d_z.jpg

The hopeless lack of any detailing of the rear of the Solido 5 is laughable but then look at all the flak on the Schuco's plastic bits! Anyway, suffice to say I'm glad I picked up the Schuco one and reckon that if one had to go, it'd be the Solido one. Although, that said I do have a replacement one back in my UK childhood toy stash, which I partly vandalised with BL spec sludgy blue Humbrol paint, so it wouldn't be a great tragedy.

Nice gear there, too!   Verem, I seem to recall, did Code 3 Solido in their own packaging so maybe that is what you have there.   Seeing your R16 background makes me remember something I saw as a kid......We used to do these "Dock Tours" on an open top bus around Southampton docks for something to do (yeah, really....) and at the time (early 60s) they were importing Dauphines through there.   I kid you not - rows and rows of rear-engined Renner rammel lined door-to-door on what can only be described as a salt marsh (much of the New Docks in Southampton were on reclaimed tidal banks) and the whole scene was not much better than that background pic!    No wonder there aren't any left!  

As you were.....

I have finally found the solution to the quest to put an interesting model challenge together for my friend in the States.  I wasn't actually looking for this exact set up, it just stumbled across a really good joblot that filled a lot of holes in my collection cheaply and it all sort of fell together nicely.  I'd already decided a Ford Capri was a must, it's one of his favourite British cars, and after looking around at what was available at this scale really the only solution was a car transporter with stuff on.  I went with Matchbox as it's familiar, good value for money with how detailed their stuff is, and has plenty of potential for modifying or leaving stock.  I've gone for cars that you can swap decent sized wheels onto so if he wants to use something like the Greenlight wheel kits, he can much easier.

The transporter is in really nice shape, it's almost a shame to send it to him as I'd quite happily keep that.  Inside the transporter we have:

Ford Capri Mk2- bonus opening bonnet and little engine to work on.  This is one of his favourite British cars.

Pontiac Firebird - another of his real world favourites.  It could do with better looking wheels. Odd one out because it's a Corgi.

Ford Mustang Mach2 - Sidepipes, opening bonnet, and a silly engine.  I suspect he'll really like this one, it's a nice model to work with.

Dodge Challenger - I've got quite a few of these, it's another he really likes.

Chevrolet G10 - this is the wildcard.  I'm not sure if he likes custom vanning, I suspect he does, and he's pretty handy with decals and airbrushes so he could do some really exciting things with this one.

post-5335-0-22374900-1548854114_thumb.jpg

He's already got a kit for me, I don't know what beyond it being from a company that still exists and "90% of them were road boats", so I've no idea what he's picked up.  It was tricky because I fancied something utterly ordinary and malaise era and most of the kits over there focus on special editions and 2 door sports things.  I shall keep you posted on the challenge as it progresses.

Some really nice hauls there, and that military truck is totes amazeballs. I have another Astra, this time a Vauxhall Gama mk3, plus am buying one from Burnside that is spears or reapers, that is going to become an Opel I think, might have some wheels somewhere for it

Jon's post 9461 of earlier today and.....

A week or two ago I was asking my younger brother whether he recalled the black diecast van/ambulance we were given in 1958.  It was approximately 1/43rd scale and had steering, operated by a lever which protruded slightly underneath the front bumper.  We were told that it was German but I can't find anything similar under Marklin or Marx or even a generic 'German' search.  Perhaps it was from nearby e.g. Denmark or the Netherlands.  Neither of us can remember what happened to it because it is absent from our respective small hoards of childhood toys.

Thanks to Jon's post, further searching in the Tekno direction revealed the identity of my long lost ambulance with steering.  It was indeed a Tekno rather than German, and issued around 1957.

https://www.planetdiecast.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=60&id=54353&Itemid=0

Laughably, the copy was better made than the original Gama Astra, one screw was put in cross threaded and over tightened, and the bootlid wouldn't shut properly due to poor moulding, and the back window was fitted wrongly! I hope my red one when it turns up, I hope that is beter made