Shite in Miniature II

Split_Pin

In addition to those already mentioned, the Majorette Renault Twingo Mk1 had no opening features, nor did the Renault 18, the Citroen C4, the Morgan Plus 4 or the Renault J4 (though it did come with funky removable surfboards).

I'm going to be mulling that one over for the rest of the day now...

I couldn't remember if the Renault 18 had opening doors or not,the Renault 11 didn't either did it?

The Citroen Dyane rally didn't have anything that opened,but the Maharadja version did have the parasol that spun round  :-P

My favourite thing from last week's toy fair - this Corgi Rolls Royce. The vendor had a few for £1 each, and I took this one because it still had the Spirit of Ecstasy and was undamaged except for the ruined paint. It also contained a dead woodlouse and a dead spider. 

attachicon.gifrolls-01.jpg

Junkman said "don't paint it Champagne" but he failed to take into account that I had a full can of champagne paint and it is my only metallic. So I painted it Champagne. Brushed liquid chrome did a beautiful job on the brightwork. 

attachicon.gifrolls-02.jpg

Haven't decided what to do with the wheels, they don't come apart and I'll ruin the tyres if I try to brush paint them. 

the centres DO come out of the wheels with a suitable hooked tool and some care

Fantatstic! That's identical to one I had about 35 years ago!

It was second-hand, so one or two bits were missing (the crane and the barrier), but it's definitely the same garage - the printed wobbly-plastic front is still a vivid memory, as is the hand-cranked lift.

Sadly, I seem to recall mine came to a sticky end when I attempted to use it as a step to reach something on a high shelf... it's not very rigid. I know that now.

But what a find! I doubt there are many of these left intact, and that one's a beauty.

Thanks for sharing!

That’s happy memories for me to, I had one of these garages as a youngster and played with it for many hours..

A few of my Majorettes of varied ages that have none opening doors that I have to hand.

The Fiat 127 does having opening doors, I'm bad!

post-3802-0-90083500-1547668163_thumb.jpg

Renault 18 and Mondeo pictured I've repainted.

The Renault started off as a 50p buy ex yellow Taxi minus the roof sign. I filled in the hole on the roof and removed the Driver figure inside too. Resprayed it Silver and painted the bumpers Matt Black to look more like a 80's version

post-3802-0-90597200-1547668381_thumb.jpg

post-3802-0-99881000-1547668405_thumb.jpg

post-3802-0-83615900-1547670811_thumb.jpg

The Mondeo was another 50p buy. Despite the cracked windows and the fact I've got another as new example. I knew I had to have it. Resprayed a light Grey Met. Colour Coded the bumpers and used Electrical Tape to Black out the Cracked Windows. Also added some newer Majorette Wheels.

At some point if I can convince myself I won't make a hash of it I'll paint the rear lights.

post-3802-0-91366100-1547669920_thumb.jpg

post-3802-0-75442200-1547669943_thumb.jpg

My tatty Renault 11, as mentioned these don't have opening doors but has a opening sunroof and towbar.

post-3802-0-88997100-1547671437_thumb.jpg

An my MK1 R5 that I hand painted years ago. Not my best work and one day I'll respray it.

post-3802-0-23654300-1547671609_thumb.jpg

As mentioned on my last post when I was a kid me and my brother use to hand paint our tatty Matchbox,Corgi,Majorette with Humbrol paints.

I'd then use to use the sticky paper to add number plates, lights and even Tax discs, rear garage stickers and even wheel Trims!

I repainted a Corgi Metro once in Gold with Matt Black wings to make it look like one I'd seen being fixed up on my estate. I also repainted a Corgi VW Polo White and added some detail. Have that somewhere still but the Metro is sadly gone.

One of the few surviving examples of my work though is this Majorete Fiat Ritmo. I just used masking tape to cover up the windows and sandpaper to remove any loose paint. Hasn't stood up too badly for a 25 years + job.

post-3802-0-89353800-1547672998_thumb.jpg

post-3802-0-53411900-1547673014_thumb.jpg

post-3802-0-23866300-1547673051_thumb.jpg

If you wondering how I did the wheels. I use to use a hole punch for making the circles in the sticky paper. Perfect size for most 1:64 / 1:55 vehicles. Then I'd use a pencil to draw the pattern / style I wanted. Then go over it in Black Pen. Lights / tax discs and number plates, I'd just again use the sticky paper and felt tip pens and Biro.

Conrad:  you want some masking fluid, or artist's blue mask as it's also known.  Paint it on the bits you don't want to paint, then paint the bits you do want to paint without worrying about overpainting, wait for it to dry and simply rub off the overpaint.  It's like masking tape, but liquid, and really smelly.

I've used it with watercolours, acrylics, and Humbrol enamels with reasonable results.  I've used it on hard plastics, card, and paper and the results are always pretty much the same.  I just don't like how it smells that much so I rely on a steady hand most of the time.

Conrad:  you want some masking fluid, or artist's blue mask as it's also known.  Paint it on the bits you don't want to paint, then paint the bits you do want to paint without worrying about overpainting, wait for it to dry and simply rub off the overpaint.  It's like masking tape, but liquid, and really smelly.

Great tip, thanks! I'll try it. 

I have used vaseline to achieve a similar result.

On 1/17/2019 at 1:58 AM, Felly Magic said:

Promotional Avon Tyres Gama Vauxhall Calibra. Box has gone mouldy due to beibg soaked by the looks.

attachicon.gifIMG_20190117_010509.jpg

Nah, box has gone mouldy to simulate Avons.

post-17915-0-33928000-1511704621.jpg

If you look closely, it'll have all cracked round the side too.

That's attention to detail, that is.

Another Norev has arrived and it's not a Citroen !

I've lowered the tone of my collection by adding a Ford :)

post-18019-0-49901700-1547742931_thumb.jpg

I'll hide it in amongst some Amis to see if anyone notices.

post-18019-0-20202900-1547742956_thumb.jpg

Think I'll add some more reverse rake windowed cars, can't be too many of them...?

A repro box has arrived too.

post-18019-0-96426800-1547742985_thumb.jpg

Ones an Atlas the other is a repo box with one of my repaints.

On 1/17/2019 at 4:34 PM, Burnside said:

I had a set of Avons on my Cavalier about 4+ years ago. Grip and road noise were fine but after barely 8 months they started cracking on the sidewalls. After the winter they were scrap. £180 not well spent!

I'd foolishly thought Avons were a middling-to-premium brand, and had shod both the Laguna and the Yaris with them all round a few years back.

Was happy enough at first, but then the same issue as you; sidewalls started cracking and opening up after about 9 months. Avon didn't want to know, just bleated on about UV degradation and salt degradation and how it wasn't a manufacturer defect etc.

Really irritating to have to replace eight tyres with loads of tread still on them. Never again. Even LingLong/Arrowspeed/HappyDeathSlide plastic hoops don't do that.

Still, that Calibra's pretty tasty all the same!

Another Norev has arrived and it's not a Citroen !

I've lowered the tone of my collection by adding a Ford :)

attachicon.gif20190117_173110.jpg

I'll hide it in amongst some Amis to see if anyone notices.

attachicon.gif20190117_173151.jpg

Think I'll add some more reverse rake windowed cars, can't be too many of them...?

A repro box has arrived too.

attachicon.gif20190117_173445.jpg

Ones an Atlas the other is a repo box with one of my repaints.

Your repaints are rather nicely done. Would you care to give us a rundown of your method?

Your repaints are rather nicely done. Would you care to give us a rundown of your method?

I strip the old paint using your caustic soda method, clean the body up with a brass wire brush and prime with cheapo primer. Colour coat is acrylic spray cans from Le b&q. I warm the spray cans and model first. As soon as I can, I get the model somewhere warm. At this time of year I place them on top of a paraffin heater. A coat of clear laqure adds a nice shine.

Conrads Rolls looks good, maybe ask him too?

If you wondering how I did the wheels. I use to use a hole punch for making the circles in the sticky paper. Perfect size for most 1:64 / 1:55 vehicles. Then I'd use a pencil to draw the pattern / style I wanted. Then go over it in Black Pen.

:shock: !!!!

This is EXACTLY what I used to do with my Matchbox / Majorette / 1:55 sized Corgi - sized cars. Didn't use sticky paper which is the only difference. I used either pritt-stick or blue-tak. Used to copy wheel trim designs.

Another one I used to do was cut out wheels from old newspapers that had wheels on show or side-on views of cars for sale. The only surviving example of this is a Jaguar S-type. Nameplates came from newspaper ads too. Usually numberplate stockists advertising numbers. If i was lucky they'd already be yellow. If not, a light felt was all I needed. Pics later when I've got time.