Shite in Miniature II

Split_Pin

The marquis is glorious - the ERF tender was another good 'un.

Look at the difference in quality between the marquis and the plymouth taxi - dinky were dying a slow death.

If you saw the underside of that Plymouth, you'd say they were dying a very quick death.

To say it's half arsed would be flattering, it's maybe quarter arsed, if that much.

Making fire engines tipping the scale at over half a kilo, with working water pump, just wasn't sustainable.

Inspired by this thread I purchased this from eBay last night, annoyingly I bid on two ships hoping the seller would combine the £3 postage he was asking. However someone sniped the other one. So I ended up paying £5.50 for a cruise ship missing it’s masts and funnel. I’m after some more Triang Mimic ships if anyone would be interested in picking some up for me at their usual die cast haunts please let me know. I’m planning on giving it a strip and full repaint.

post-17353-0-57169000-1541926141_thumb.jpeg

As many Shiters know, I often trawl ebay for 1/18 scale American cars.  How hard does it have to be to get something that isn't a Ferrari FFS!  American tackle  from UK sellers is thin on the ground, and getting hopelessly expensive, so imagine my joy the other day to find I've won one!  I've got a Sun Star 1952 Nash coming.  Sadly not the police version, but as if in compensation, this one is beige.  I'll post up a pic when it's here.  It was slightly over budget, but only slightly, so I can live with it.

It won't be here for a few days so here's a snap off the listing...

post-4559-0-74567500-1542008364_thumb.jpg

They do a police version in the classic black-and-white, but I haven't seen one adverttised for some time, so I took a deep breath and spent £27 plus postage.  Cool, innit?

I do love the presence of 1/18 scale stuff, especially as there's some tremendously detailed models available these days (way beyond the plasticky Bburago/ Polistil/ Solido/ ERTL/ Maisto of my youth), but I just can't justify the space required to display them properly... other than a Solido 1/18 Citroen 2CV which nicely fills a shelf in the hall, I binned the last of mine off earlier in the year. They'd been in boxes in the attic for so long I'd forgotten most of them, anyway. Hopefully some other folk are getting enjoyment from them now!

What's great is that I can vicariously ogle the really good stuff on here, however... :D

My mate has an ex-shop glass cabinet in his lounge done up as a 1/18 showroom for his Yank collection.  It is, as might be expected, fantastic.  However, he cannot add to it or fill it up with myriad assorted flea-market crap like I do.  It is a definite one-in-one-out arrangement - too much like real shite!

In a twist of fate today saw me obtain a 1/24 Bburago Mercedes 190E for a £1 on my dinner. It’s in a careworn shade of metallic grey but I’m

thinking something like brown or beige might be better? A bit of a winter project.

I’m aware you need to really use etch primer but I’m considering using Humbrol Enamel with a good brush once I’ve dismantled it.

Some of yesterdays finds,

Start off with this Hot wheels 1968 Ford Mustang,

This would have been one of the original 16 castings,and are quite sought after.

This one is in surprisingly good shape given how flimsy they are.

post-5543-0-00062400-1542026580_thumb.jpg

post-5543-0-59882400-1542026601_thumb.jpg

post-5543-0-01569400-1542026615_thumb.jpg

Next is this Corgi juniors whizzwheels Mercedes Benz 280sl,

Again in a very reasonable condition.

post-5543-0-95442700-1542026934_thumb.jpg

post-5543-0-74891800-1542026956_thumb.jpg

Next is this Matchbox Vauxhall Victor estate,I have a couple of these in poor shape,so was happy to find this.

Still has it's tailgate,this was the deciding factor in it's purchase.

post-5543-0-30938800-1542027105_thumb.jpg

post-5543-0-41186400-1542027131_thumb.jpg

The top has been painted in the past,but I think it suits it,and it was very well done.

That Mustang's a cracking find! Redlines can indeed be wild prices...

post-17915-0-09708600-1542030052_thumb.png

Supposedly the Custom Volkswagen without a sunroof cutout was only sold in Europe and for a limited amount of time, so US collectors go nuts for them. This listing above had slightly more paint than mine, but my casting was still intact.

I knew it was an early Redline but hadn't even realised it was rare until someone on here pointed it out - but I didn't want to get into the whole Ebay sales shitshow.

I flogged all my loose HW to fellow shiters back in the spring: I'd only paid about 50p for that one, so I was happy enough to let it go as part of a joblot for the new owner to either resell at market value or to keep as part of his own collection.

Like '50s Corgi and Dinky though, I'd expect prices on these to rise for about another decade or so, then plateau and eventually fall away as interest dwindles (along with those who were kids in the late 1960s).

Matchbox Superfast are getting pricey for M/B examples, so before long it's possible that even ropey versions will command strong money.

Respray brown or leave it original?

A friend of mine had this when I was a kid. I had the 1/36 Corgi version and the 1/43 Bburago example but this was out of bounds.

I can't remember who it was on here that I bought a MIB example from, together with a Y10, Volvo 740, Fiat Regata and Renault 4 but I still admire the 190 every day as its a brilliant piece.

Leave as is IMO.