Time for my ride of the "school bike"

Saab have taken this one stage further, with a button that not only disables all backlighting save the speedo, but also kills all the gauges as well! (Supposedly less distracting when driving at night). God knows what electrical fun that will cause when the car is 15+ years old...

Got my wheels now!Many thanks to Mike, who not only drove out to Lidl and guided me to the right place (got lost as usual!), but gave me some audio tat (including a fantastic graphic equalizer which will sit perfectly in the Charmant) and a Haynes manual to get me started.Discovered the washer jets on the Galant don't seem to work, will need to look into that. But this was counteracted by me finding out what that little knob next to the dashboard does - it changes the brightness of the dashboard backlight! What an utterly insane feature. The headlight switch arrangement is pretty bonkers too. I really like this car!

Glad you got home safely dude :)Get that polishing cloth out!

My Saab 9-3 has the 'night panel' button, It kills all the gauges and lighting apart from the speedo, which stays lit up to 90mph, the fuel gauge boots back up if you stray near reserve.. yeh to test if the speedo lighting past 90mph kicks in over that speed..It's great on unlit motorways.

And for those not venturing over to RR:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My work moves on December 19th and that is the day I intend to push this into use as my daily driver. Can I get tyres fitted, suspension height sorted and full insurance cover by then? Place bets now.

• 1 month later...

A J-tin forum was mentioned at some point but I can't find it so I'll post it up here.I've sorted a forum out exclusively for old J-tin, because people fancied the idea of one: http://www.oldjapanesecar.com/forum/Sign up if you like, there's lots of Tredia action already. Hoping we can lure out all these mysterious people who buy mad cars but don't seem to surface on the Internet.

Saab have taken this one stage further, with a button that not only disables all backlighting save the speedo, but also kills all the gauges as well! (Supposedly less distracting when driving at night). God knows what electrical fun that will cause when the car is 15+ years old...

I had an L-plate 900 just over a year ago (so it would have been 13 years old) and the "Dark" button still worked fine. The button on the 900 didn't shut the dash downas comprehensively as on the later Saabs though - the 9-5 did shut down everything except the speedo (and the fuel gauge in my case, as I rarely put more than a quarter of a tank in any car) and that worked OK, although the car was only seven years old when I had it. I'm not nearly as apprehensive about the potential of such technology to age gracefully as I would be if it were being introduced by, say, Alfa Romeo.

My 9-3 is just coming up to 10 years old, and current electical probs are:Airbag (and general fault) light on, dodgy wiring under passenger seat, bloody side funbags :roll: (does correct itself if you go long distance with no passenger).Info centre is is rapidly disolving its display into gibberish, there is a quick fix to this, just can't be arsed to pull the unit out to sort it. Other than that, at 160k its doing quite well. and it didn't cost much in the first place..

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's the pre face lift model but I thought this may be of interest. I must also plead guilty to not having heard of the "world famous" Astron 80.....shows what little I know about cars. The ad is taken from a 1978 South African readers digest found in my attic.

Posted Image

• 1 year later...

Just thought whilst I'm updating my "build" threads on other places I'd give this a bump for the benefit of people who only really frequent Autoshite, it's been over a year now!

Posted Image

The short story is that bar a sticking brake issue sometime in the summer (fixed with a caliper refurb) it has been a very reliable and shitey daily driver, clocking up something like 7-8000 miles without much issue. However around autumn the work started to catch up with it - the clutch was starting to go, back box was knackered, I wanted to sort out a few grotty areas including the rear strut tops and the MOT was coming up anyway.

So I decided to take it off the road for a few months to sort all those issues - now the welding and paint is sorted (including blacking out the windowframes), a bargain-priced new clutch and backbox are installed and I got a new MOT on it the weekend before last.

And that's about it really, just got to keep on with it I suppose.

Just thought whilst I'm updating my "build" threads on other places I'd give this a bump for the benefit of people who only really frequent Autoshite, it's been over a year now!

Posted Image

The short story is that bar a sticking brake issue sometime in the summer (fixed with a caliper refurb) it has been a very reliable and shitey daily driver, clocking up something like 7-8000 miles without much issue. However around autumn the work started to catch up with it - the clutch was starting to go, back box was knackered, I wanted to sort out a few grotty areas including the rear strut tops and the MOT was coming up anyway.

So I decided to take it off the road for a few months to sort all those issues - now the welding and paint is sorted (including blacking out the windowframes), a bargain-priced new clutch and backbox are installed and I got a new MOT on it the weekend before last.

And that's about it really, just got to keep on with it I suppose.

KEWL. :) Just needs one of those red-on-white Taxi roof signs now.