OMG SNO KAOS - pics or stories?

John F

4 hours ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

Question - it looks like you have an upstairs door?
Is that a hay loft/attic type thing or is it in case the snow blocks up the lower one?

It's an attic. The intention was to make stairs to that door, but it has not been done yet. But can enter that room from another part of the barn if necessary.

Not had as much here as other parts of the UK but given how steep and  narrow the lane up to my place is I didn't fancy trying to get the C15 down here this morning.

IMG_20240118_081952.thumb.jpg.395977b282a58a524976116b1b6c01fd.jpg

Had a grit spreading revelation that I thought I'd share. Instead of struggling with a barrow and shovel I filled a Tesco delivery box with grit and pulled it behind me with a rope. The grit falls through the slats in the bottom leaving a tyre-width cleared track. Got the bit in the picture done in about quarter of an hour. If you want a job done efficiently give it to a lazy person/work smarter not harder.

IMG_20240118_130448.thumb.jpg.50b6e7a170958c011dcd68972920eeeb.jpg

Van now safely parked up in the village which means I'll have to go to work tomorrow.

Had a dusting here earlier but it's all gone now.

20240118_104738.jpg

Coming in to work this morning there was about a 1/2 mile section in Wroxham where there was snow on the ground, but nothing anywhere else.  Which was slightly odd.  Obviously a very narrow band of snow clouds.

I live at the bottom of a dip. The entertainment after snow is modern cars all struggling to climb out yet the old Volvo never does. It doesn't have traction control and just plods straight on up that hill like it isn't there. On one occasion there were seven vehicles unable to climb that hill.

I had a job in Banffshire yesterday, and the snow was pretty bad.. ended up in a ditch as was struggling up a hill on a single track road, when a proper twat came down the hill in a Rav4, and drove straight at me... I reversed as quickly as  I could and ended up putting 2 wheels off the lip of the road and the Transit sunk up to its wishbones.. twat drove round me and dissapeared.. luckily  locals helped dig me out and got a helping hand from a Jeep Renegade.. fitted the bar in -6, then drove home on unplowed ungritted single track roads in the dark.. an Auto Transit on summer tyres isn't ideal,  so I was "carrying momentum" everywhere.. Juha Kankkunnen would have been slack jawed 😄

20240117_115808.jpg

20240117_153359.jpg

For those of you who don’t appreciate the difference winter tyres make, here’s a picture of my street.

The ex-Robson BMW 520d is sitting in my drive way and was driven there with no issues because it now has my winter wheels and blizzaak tyres.
The big mess in the snow was me trying to get the soon-to-be-gone e61 out. Thanks to it donating its winters it took me 15 minutes to get to the end of the street.

The different rubber compound of these means that the grip better when it’s below 7 degrees than summers meaning they’re worth it regardless of the amount of snow.

IMG_7450.jpeg

2 hours ago, Tayne said:

For those of you who don’t appreciate the difference winter tyres make, here’s a picture of my street.

This video from a few years back shows the difference quite well too. Nothing special, just a FWD Kangoo, but was able to drive around the other cars relatively easily.
NB: As is typical in the UK, this was fairly slushy snow so a lot more slippery than the dry powdery stuff you tend to get in colder regions. Even with winter tyres there was some spinning.

Hardly any snow here at the moment, but I did have to use the Series 3 to tow the iLoad on our track. We have a bridge over the river, and water tends to collect on the concrete deck of the bridge. This has now turned to ice but despite being totally flat, I could not get moving again after I stupidly stopped to 'see how slippery it really was' :oops: 

I missed the worst of the OMG SNO KAOS, but my truck froze to the ground when I parked overnight in an ice-bound yard in Clitheroe on Wednesday; the overnight temperature got as low as minus 8c 😮

image.thumb.png.6f1b45e555272c6bcfe27acd38b0c6c6.png

Lovely sunset, though:

image.thumb.png.cad80bd55f52f178e5c5b3dec7578a88.png

Ditto the sunrise next morning:

image.thumb.png.194deebee493bb60e311043b1f622768.png

Got back on track pretty quickly using a combination of the diff lock, beligerence and hope, although the windscreen washers stayed frozen until I got to Blyth Services...

Thought this is worth sharing and shows snow chaos in Sweden in the 1960s. And here you can see the old technique where the plow truck picks up speed and drives into the snow, then backs up and drives in to it again, they could keep going like this all day forwards and backwards until the road was cleared.

1 hour ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Thought this is worth sharing and shows snow chaos in Sweden in the 1960s. And here you can see the old technique where the plow truck picks up speed and drives into the snow, then backs up and drives in to it again, they could keep going like this all day forwards and backwards until the road was cleared.

Why no snow blower? 

9 hours ago, Lacquer Peel said:

Why no snow blower? 

That's a good question, and I think it's because snowblowers weren't that widespread back then and the ones that existed were either small ones for the small tractors of the time or massive things designed for mountains that are too big and dangerous to use in populated areas.

Below is an example of a big snowblower, a Norwegian built 1969 Viking snowblower with a over 400 horsepower CAT diesel engine.

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

That will be a long cold ride.

She's a tough old buzzard, I'm sure she'll be fine after 250 miles on that.....
(Only kidding - I'll drop her down the hill to the village - they're taking Sprog's car and the main roads are all clear. Our side road is currently  impassable by car or 4x4)
As long as the air temperature gets up a few degrees then the snow will get washed away by the heavy showers due later.....

image.png.4c49f53427e7913b4959fe05c443a868.png