OMG SNO KAOS - pics or stories?

John F

1 hour ago, sutty2006 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t it law/advisable to clear all the snow off your car before you set off? I have seen too many blocks of snow covered ice fall off and hit the car behind, or worse still all the stuff on the roof slides forwards when you brake and covers the screen, imagine that if you’re doing 30 and then boom no view through the front. I always clear it off mine, good chance it’s not going to piss others off around me then. 

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/winter-driving/is-it-illegal-to-drive-with-snow-on-your-car/

Snow on your roof?

As for the snow on the roof, while, again, there is no law stating it is illegal to drive with snow on your roof, if it falls off onto your windscreen while driving or flies into the path of another car then you could be penalised for such offences as 'driving without due consideration' or 'using a motor vehicle in a dangerous condition' - again, not worth the risk.

Even if you’re only making a two-minute journey, by not thoroughly cleaning your car of snow, ice or condensation – including all windows, lights and even anything that could fall off into the path of another motorists – you’re breaking the law and leaving yourself liable to a run in with the police.

That means fully wiping snow or frost from every window (a quick once over with a credit card or CD case is not good enough!).

Use a proper scraper and de-icer. It might cost a few pounds, but it works and will save you time.

MORE ADVICE: Complete guide on how to drive safely in snow page

From the Highway Code, today... notes 1) all your windows must be clear of snow and ice 2) you must remove all snow that might fall off into the path of others...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/driving-in-adverse-weather-conditions-226-to-237

image.thumb.png.dbc77564c458c486cadd14abe94a2db8.png

image.png.25d666df9da1c96a8159f5135aa7aa5b.png

CUR reg 30, = (3)  All glass or other transparent material fitted to a motor vehicle shall be maintained in such condition that it does not obscure the vision of the driver while the vehicle is being driven on a road.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t it law/advisable to clear all the snow off your car before you set off? I have seen too many blocks of snow covered ice fall off and hit the car behind, or worse still all the stuff on the roof slides forwards when you brake and covers the screen, imagine that if you’re doing 30 and then boom no view through the front. I always clear it off mine, good chance it’s not going to piss others off around me then. 
Yes. I was stopped by the cops a few years ago going to work. My windows were clear but about 1/2 inch on the roof. I wasnt charged just told off and asked to clear it as if I had to brake suddenly then I could be blind and cause an accident. Since then every drop of snow is cleaned off my car before it moves. Dont know how I would have stood, as I was driving buses at the time, if there was 2 inches of snow on the roof of a coach about 6 feet above your head!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, Talbot said:

Also, whilst the front screen is absolutely inexcusable, what's the issue with the rear one?  There's no requirement to be able to see out of it, only the front screen and the two front side windows, assuming the vehicle has a near-side door mirror.

Yes, it's lazy not to clear it, but clearing the back window isn't a requirement.  Not to be able to see out of anyway (might be a hazard with the risk of snow falling off perhaps)

Aside from the potential to obscure vision at inopportune moments it's probably an insecure load.

2 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Aside from the potential to obscure vision at inopportune moments it's probably an insecure load.

This is might thought. We had a lot of ice under 2/3 inches of snow a few weeks after Xmas, that stuff was coming off cars like 2x2 slabs. 

i road tested a rigid truck, took as much off as I could reach, but all the roof was stiff there. I noticed it coming off along the dual carriageway so slowed down to 50 and when I was back on our access road I did an emergency stop. The 10ft x4ft slab slid off and covered the cab in mushy shitty ice n snow. Was glad to get rid of it! And make sure the brakes worked 😆 

20 hours ago, beko1987 said:

I like watching the back wiper take the snow off... I leave it until I'm sat in the car and the hrw has softened it up. 

Generally always clear the rest though, after being being an avalanche of show coming off someone's roof in l2 of the m40 many times its not nice for the car behind. 

Hasn't snowed enough for that to need to be done here for years though, or if it has I've not gone out anyway! 

I remember blowing a fuse trying to clear snow from.the rear window of a mk2 cavalier. 

41 minutes ago, New POD said:

I remember blowing a fuse trying to clear snow from.the rear window of a mk2 cavalier. 

I had a 206 that did the same to the fronts if the blades were frozen to the screen. Learnt after a few times as it shared the fuse with the headlights 

On 2/11/2021 at 9:33 AM, TheXUDfiles said:

We've had snow showers here and a lot of ice about, so the gritters have been out in force. I had to get the BMW over to a garage for a quote, so buckets and sponges were scrambled in short order when I got home.

The soapy water (which came out of the house warm) had frozen before I could rinse it it off and I couldn't feel my hands. Can't remember the last time I has a car I loved enough to do that with. 

I can't clean the underside so I'll have to find a car wash over the weekend. God, I hate salt!

148606997_1910941505724047_2968668937443670429_o.thumb.jpg.13d27481d4e429b6a227c5c82e2cd85f.jpg

Snap

IMG_2921-1200.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2021 at 6:48 PM, Daviemck2006 said:

Yes. I was stopped by the cops a few years ago going to work. My windows were clear but about 1/2 inch on the roof. I wasnt charged just told off and asked to clear it as if I had to brake suddenly then I could be blind and cause an accident. Since then every drop of snow is cleaned off my car before it moves. Dont know how I would have stood, as I was driving buses at the time, if there was 2 inches of snow on the roof of a coach about 6 feet above your head!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Just find the nearest 'suitably low bridge' and Bob's yer Uncle

• 1 year later...

Not much where I am but Dover got a dose last night and none of the roads have been cleared.  Which made going to Lidl interesting* this morning.  As it hasn't snowed where I am (about fifteen minutes away) I wore the comfortable shoes - which have a hole in the sole...

My perennial moan about people not clearing the roof of their car holds true.  Today we even had a window-windscreener.  How stupid are these fucking people?

25 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Not much where I am but Dover got a dose last night and none of the roads have been cleared.  Which made going to Lidl interesting* this morning.  As it hasn't snowed where I am (about fifteen minutes away) I wore the comfortable shoes - which have a hole in the sole...

My perennial moan about people not clearing the roof of their car holds true.  Today we even had a window-windscreener.  How stupid are these fucking people?

Most vehicles I saw didn't even clear their headlights let alone their roof.

People are now abandoning their vehicles because they can't get out of the village (every exit is a hill) so that's me fucked for tomorrow. Roads are now a sheet of packed ice.

Although it's not been my daily for a while, I can reveal that my T2 will perform comedy doughnuts in the snow at the slowest of speeds and at the least provocation. I'd walked the dogs & returned to the camper & thought what fun* it might be to wazz it around within its own wheelbase. Wizzorama! I even changed up into second gear so as not to scare the dogs with the excessive noise. They were both up front with me in the cab where movement was minimal & I think all three of us were laughing our tits off.

1 hour ago, Fumbler said:

Most vehicles I saw didn't even clear their headlights let alone their roof.

People are now abandoning their vehicles because they can't get out of the village (every exit is a hill) so that's me fucked for tomorrow. Roads are now a sheet of packed ice.

I need to dig out the snow shoes I bought last year for the cars just in case we desperately need to get out.  I think they're on a shelf in my office somewhere...

Always amazed at this time of year.  I saw a Mercedes Estate spinning the absolute shit out of its rear wheels in a car park earlier.  It was packed down ice but nobody else had any issue whatsoever getting traction.  I just don't understand the attitude - especially when you're near a bunch of parked cars and pedestrians.  Selfish, stupid prick.

Just now, barefoot said:

Although it's not been my daily for a while, I can reveal that my T2 will perform comedy doughnuts in the snow at the slowest of speeds and at the least provocation. I'd walked the dogs & returned to the camper & thought what fun* it might be to wazz it around within its own wheelbase. Wizzorama! I even changed up into second gear so as not to scare the dogs with the excessive noise. They were both up front with me in the cab where movement was minimal & I think all three of us were laughing our tits off.

It's put a good bit down round here so I went out in her z4 coupe. I mean obviously it's really shit in this weather, but really good shit 😄

Do miss my old rear steer transits when it snows. Pro rally driver in the safety net of under 5mph. It’s not illegal to loose traction is it officer? 
SNA update. 
FwD transit unlikely to be getting up here come the morning 

E44211B0-1578-4CF5-9F27-E5096C7831AB.thumb.jpeg.dcf3aa4ad38c200ee2628a05f6c515bb.jpeg

Have keys for this though is not mine so best not.

27117152-D724-4208-9CAD-2250529A731F.thumb.jpeg.989216fb5f8f913872cdd7734aef1436.jpeg

Best shoulder the tools and walk to work then .

All good though came back up and pelted the mrs with snow balls. Apparently we’re all cunts.