OMG SNO KAOS - pics or stories?

John F

No chaos, place looks pretty though...

IMG_20201227_133606_466.thumb.jpg.c6183298415f63cb5df80f543c20218a.jpg

IMG_20201227_131347_225.thumb.jpg.ab50c3875994a0d3b1c0c19f5cadaa94.jpg

Edit....

Had to take the big beast up the same spot to test the quattro/esp...  Had a good laugh doing four-wheel 'burnouts', and a good panic doing bigger-drifts-than-advisable on a single track road!  As I said on day one, the A8 manages to do both civilised and hooligan very well!  

IMG_20201230_162433_540.thumb.jpg.6dd6d24ce189a271ded2310dcf2742f7.jpg

IMG_20201230_162517_761.thumb.jpg.ff5a8148645aed2413388d23c3e1e1f5.jpg

Will I ever grow up though?  41 now, and seemingly getting worse...  Ready for my first 'murican Vee-8 now please!

Happy New Year all.

Edited by TrabbieRonnie

Very light dusting of snow on the high bit of the M4 yesterday, but it was enough to cause chaos - got held up for about half an hour.  Not entirely sure what had happened as all I saw was a couple of broken down vehicles on the hard shoulder, but one of the illuminated signs said "Animals in road" which I found a little unlikely.

On a more positive note they have at least raised the speed limit through most of the Smart* Motorway roadworks to 60 from the 50 it was set at last time I came through there.

The 'Animals in Road' and 'Pedestrians in Road' is normally when people get out of the car that's broken down and they don't stand the other side of the barrier. Doggy should stay in the car ideally.

I had one last week which made me chortle 'Cyclist on motorway'. Never did see them though, sadly.

We've had the square root of naff all here. A mere whiff a couple of days ago. It's actually sunny outside at the moment.

Last time we got some was end of 2019 I think. It took me over an hour to do the 14/15 miles home from work.

I left early as I didn't fancy getting stuck the way it was pelting down, and at 1am on a Saturday morning the A16 was like a motorway at rush hour.

Loads of people about, I just followed this conga line of lights in thick driving snow and hoped no one did anything silly.

Previous to that was 09/10, I worked in a town called Horncastle at that point. I finished work and started the car. The display said minus 14.

I remember it because my 406 tried to overtake itself at the bottom of  Scamblesby hill..

It was at the point I decided Grimsby to Horncastle every day for work was something I didn't want to do for much longer.

Snow came later than forecast my my little corner of West Yorkshire. I set off early to drive to the station, allowing for over-cautious morons who inevitably manage to get stuck due to a lack of momentum. Thankfully the roads were clear all the way. The weather can quite often be completely different here only a few miles down the road due to the varied topography and elevations.

As I was early to the station, my tyre tracks had disappeared by the time the train was due. The snow was the usual 'wet' stuff that never lasts as it comes from a westerly direction. Proper snow only comes from the east. Has anyone else noticed this? 🙂

1834761244_2020-12-2907_39_22.thumb.jpg.ad3d5a64d5878678d2a4951113bdb2fd.jpg1621735784_2020-12-2907_40_06.thumb.jpg.caa27aef2a0c9b336e3b5557747048bf.jpg

The C3 was a rather fetching block of ice at 6am this morning having snowed a bit, frozen, sleeted a bit and then frozen a bit more - took 2 full 2L bottles of hot water to clear the windscreen of really sharp spiky ice.

Tomorrow Im off to Skipton to collect some Mud & Snow tyres for the C3. Sounds like madness, it probably is.

20201226_152802.thumb.jpg.c6d3e9162945096574abfbac55880ccc.jpg

Up over the Cairngorms to see my parents for crimbo.

260odd bhp, fwd on summer tyres. Not exactly the ideal car for tackling snowy mountains but drama was lacking. Chugging up 15% inclines at 1,500rpm was a bit lairy as the idea of reversing all the way back to flat ground for a second attempt in the dark really didn't appeal. Equally chugging down using engine braking gets the blood pumping when, if you ditch the car, the nearest house is a several mile hike away and the chances of passing traffic is pretty much nil.

Lancaster managed a little bit of snow today, so I went out in search of white roads to christen the winter tyres properly for the first time this winter.

Found snow, but it nearly ended in You've Been Framed comedy disaster...I initially stopped 20m or so further down this hill  to take a snap with the Lune valley in the background...handbrake firmly on...all good...got out, walked a few metres uphill and turned back to take the photo...car now sliding gently back downhill, rear wheels not moving...seems the lack of human ballast onboard made the rear tyres lose what little grip they had...and then gravity...

Shat pants, managed to chase after it, jump in and apply the footbrake which stopped it.

Struggled to then gain traction, but eventually got to the top to take the sodding photo.

Undercrackers binned.

100% worthwhile.

003.JPG

On 1/2/2021 at 6:43 PM, MrSteve said:

Lancaster managed a little bit of snow today, so I went out in search of white roads to christen the winter tyres properly for the first time this winter.

Found snow, but it nearly ended in You've Been Framed comedy disaster...I initially stopped 20m or so further down this hill  to take a snap with the Lune valley in the background...handbrake firmly on...all good...got out, walked a few metres uphill and turned back to take the photo...car now sliding gently back downhill, rear wheels not moving...seems the lack of human ballast onboard made the rear tyres lose what little grip they had...and then gravity...

Shat pants, managed to chase after it, jump in and apply the footbrake which stopped it.

Struggled to then gain traction, but eventually got to the top to take the sodding photo.

Undercrackers binned.

100% worthwhile.

Glad you're OK.  My missus nags me for parking with handbrake on and in gear but I maintain its a good habit to be in.

Had to help push a couple of cars out of a snowy car park yesterday, one of them was a Qashcai with big wheels and summer tyres that just seemed hopeless, slid sideways down a very slight slope.