OMG SNO KAOS - pics or stories?

John F

It’s all about temperature.

Winter tyres are made of a rubber compound that remains pliable (and so remains grippy) at 8degrees C and below.

Where I live, I’ll likely see temperatures below 5 degrees, it was minus 3 this morning, on my commute between November and mid March so winters make sense for me.

If your location means winter temps are sufficiently high then you’re best off keeping the tyres you have and staying home for a few days if it snows.

42 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

I remember when I had my xm it needed tyres, so I put a pair of part worn winters on the front, and looked forward to the snow! 

Wasn't any that year, the tyres wore down mega quick and I had to have a new pair the next spring... 

Never bothered since, the sensible way is a second set of wheels I guess (or own a tyre machine) but Ive got nowhere to store them

The sensible way is to fit all season tyres, the cross climates on the wife's car lasted almost 25k and provided grip in all conditions, we get a lot of snow here in Cumbria and 'summer tyres are just not worth the hassle when you can buy an alternative that will give you the best of both worlds.

58 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

The sensible way is to fit all season tyres, the cross climates on the wife's car lasted almost 25k and provided grip in all conditions, we get a lot of snow here in Cumbria and 'summer tyres are just not worth the hassle when you can buy an alternative that will give you the best of both worlds.

I alternate between summers and winters on my moderns. Partly to save the diamond cut alloys from deteriorating even faster than they do, and also to avoid cracking a wheel in a pothole caused by frost, or if I was to slide into something fairly slowly.

Winters go on steelies. I like steelies.

Probably less need for them this year, as I'm finding that I'm not having to commute over the fells at 7am.

50626129_10156344099128843_8234217102668464128_o.thumb.jpg.2131869e04b95589480ac1a4dd3d0239.jpg

20191207_115322.thumb.jpg.81828b5c97fc53832baad3c54476b69e.jpg

Up until recently (pre covid etc) I was doing 30k a year commuting to and from work, I was wearing through a set of front tyres every 25-28 k, and that was Michelins, Conti's and Cheap ditch finders. I ran a set of winter tyres the last full 12m worth of driving and got 25k from them. I used Nankang Snow SV2 tyres and tbh they were fine, even in the summer, granted I don't drive it on the door handles but as a long experiment i'd have no bother running winters all year again.

People from other countries on the same lattitude laugh at us, a little bit of snow and it all grinds to a halt, everyone is driving on the cheapest 'summer' tyres which offer next to no grip in these conditions, all the Polish and Romanian people who work with me think its ridiculous, when you look around the car park almost all of them have matching sets of winter or all season tyres on their cars as they prepare for adverse conditions, its hugely annoying being stuck in a jam when you know that you have the tyres and ability to get where you need to go.

36 minutes ago, Flat4 said:

A friend posted this at 6.45am. M74 apparently at a stand still already 😕 There's hardly any snow and the chaos has started already!

M74.jpg

Thats what makes it shit though, the small amount of snow gets polished with shit driving. 

I've driven to work early in the morning when it's snowed (as long as the m40 is clear and open I go for it) and it was fine, nice fresh snow, sensible driving, no drama. 

Coming home a few hours later (ffs Sam why did yiu come in, it's snowing outside... "it's fun" is my usual answer) and every corner and junction has had a rwd car with shit tyres polish it to glass, the one grippy snow is gone and its a grim slush fest and random stopping all thr way home. 

That's what stops me driving in the snow. I do enjoy it, and the xsara has fairly new cheap all seasons on the front so may not be too shit either. 

Infact the snow of 2010 @gnomeot had his suzuki sj I think. Now that was a fun drive! I remember him driving across the old work car park, flower beds and all because you just couldn't tell as the snow was above the kerb height

Sitting on the on the M90 earlier this morning, usual story, a lorry jack knifed. Further up there was another lorry stuck going up a hill so the lorry behind him tried to get past him, guess what he also got stuck, now both lanes have lorries stuck in the, great teamwork guys. We should have the system they have in Germany where lorry firms don't have to fit winter tyres, but if they don't and they cause an obstruction in bad weather they get fined. Every time I get stuck on a motorway in winter it's because of a lorry.

M90 traffic.jpg

On 12/1/2020 at 8:12 PM, willswitchengage said:

GR7 fun pushing vehicles out of the snow during a bored day at university. Yes, we successfully managed to budge this delightful Volvo B7TL which subsequently performed a rather incredible powerslide around a roundabout. INTENSE. We also discovered this was quite a lucrative endeavour - a lot people people would give their spare change in exchange for a push!

P1030585.thumb.JPG.4b37f871d98c62530bf1114297551239.JPG

My first BX in the snow.

P1030578.thumb.JPG.2ed1dce91c4f04dfb74368bb4ade3dd3.JPG

I love the way there's people just sat upstairs nice and warm on that bus while others are outside freezing 😄