OMG SNO KAOS - pics or stories?

John F

GR7 fun pushing vehicles out of the snow during a bored day at university. Yes, we successfully managed to budge this delightful Volvo B7TL which subsequently performed a rather incredible powerslide around a roundabout. INTENSE. We also discovered this was quite a lucrative endeavour - a lot people people would give their spare change in exchange for a push!

P1030585.thumb.JPG.4b37f871d98c62530bf1114297551239.JPG

My first BX in the snow.

P1030578.thumb.JPG.2ed1dce91c4f04dfb74368bb4ade3dd3.JPG

31 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

The little white 205 is outstanding in snow, though you may want to paint the roof orange so you don't lose it in a small drift.

It wouldn't be right now, the tyres are bald.  It's getting a fair bit of use.  All @Jimbob McGregorMcGregorMcGregorMcGregor's now anyway,  I swapped my half for a smoll bike in a confusing and convoluted scheme involving an HDI engine, a knackered 306, and a set of Rallye steels.  He's also running around in the ex- @Ghosty DTurbo.  It's a very French region of the UK here!

50 minutes ago, willswitchengage said:

GR7 fun pushing vehicles out of the snow during a bored day at university. Yes, we successfully managed to budge this delightful Volvo B7TL which subsequently performed a rather incredible powerslide around a roundabout. INTENSE. We also discovered this was quite a lucrative endeavour - a lot people people would give their spare change in exchange for a push!

P1030585.thumb.JPG.4b37f871d98c62530bf1114297551239.JPG

My first BX in the snow.

P1030578.thumb.JPG.2ed1dce91c4f04dfb74368bb4ade3dd3.JPG

Should've left them there to rot. 

I hate Travel West Midlands with a passion. 

i remember the 2010 snow. i worked a mile from home and usually walked. that year i drove in the missus's gt4 celica. too fuggin cold.... was gr12 for SNOKOAS. meanwhile all the locals are getting stuck in their mondeos. currently its 10 deg an dsunny here, with a top of 19. though saturday is meant to be 27 deg.  ill have to update with some OZSNOKAOS pics in our winter

Depends what I still have:

850 Tdi - Heavy engine so will either sink in and get stuck, or the low down torque and no revs will come to the rescue.

E320 S210 - Auto, not even going to try.

TT - Quattro, so 'should' be half decent if I fit sufficiently grippy tyres (But they are wide)

Do recall using the Lada Riva a good 6 or so years ago, it was bloody brilliant

6 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Enjoy it, it's a good'un when it starts. 
Keep an eye on the inner wings and boot floor. 

Last time I drove it there was a screw driver in the car, because the wiring for the starter was a bit* degraded.  Think it's got a relay for it now.

IMG_20140321_140322.thumb.jpg.881906791972be6e486da26cd5e5ae02.jpg

Rather embarrassingly got the Y10 stuck on the Ptarmigan ridge up by the the dam. The picture is from lower down. 

I had some hair brained notion that it would be fun to get it up over the saddle and down into the glen beyond. Went fine until a change of heart required a 3 point turn that didn't go well. 

23 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

1/12/2010

I was going nowhere that day, only because the trains were off. They actually did well that winter, all things considered. I was lucky* enough to be able to walk to the station when I lived in this house in Polmont so didn't need to use the car.

No Corsa in the drive because my wife was stranded at her mum's in Cumbernauld which was thankfully 5 minutes walk from where she worked at the time.

Later that week the whole street went out sequentially moved around the street and dug everybody's car out, took most of a day.

The Vectra was a great car, sadly too much went wrong right when we were expecting my son and I needed something reliable. Had it been now I would have had it fixed in an instant.

FB_IMG_1606812696247.jpg

Remember that well. 

I was stranded in Motherwell of all places. All routes at a standstill. Eventually left at 11pm and got in the house in Lanark a few hours later. Had a 206 at the time, it was quite good in the snow. 

Having just sold my Jeep, I'm sure we'll see sustained snowfall this year. 

Talking of the snow of 2010,faceboom reminded me I was part of it! 

SmartSelect_20201202-085454_Facebook.thumb.jpg.15b11a9fd45212bc462276c74c1c3155.jpg

Looking at the garage and the front of the hire touran in my stepdads place it would have been the week after my 206 got set on fire. 

Remember taking the puma out in the snow and it was really good too. Went to the cineworld car park at 1am and practiced slow handbrake slides and seeing how the car reacted, learnt alot in those few hours! 

The puma also had a handy quirk where if I just put my foot down, the abs would scrabble and set me off slowly! (was probably really dangerous looking back lol). 

Fun times! Of course, living at home the o ly miles I did were when I went to do them, happy carefree days! 

This was my drive way in 2010. My second Legacy GT is in front and you can just about make out my caravan behind it, which thankfully had a cover on it.

1292373127_TheFuryDec2010.thumb.jpg.57ef7e9a1f46a1b7aa9e30d63f0f7adb.jpg

The only thing that stopped the Legacy was the height of the snow, and I'm actually really looking forward to winter this year as the Forester has more ground clearance ;) It's having a full set of new Bridgestone Weather Controls fitted tomorrow. It was a tough call between those and the Cross Climates I usually use, which I know work well in snow, but the new Weather Controls have shorter stopping distances in the wet and dry than the Cross Climates, and apparently have improved snow traction compared to last year's offering. I actually want to go out and find some snow to try them out in :D We rarely get any being on the West coast of Scotland. The Civic has a full set of Cross Climates on so I'd like to do a double run with them both to see how they compare. Hoping the Civic would actually be as decent in snow as it is on wet grass.

Just not as deep as this tho....My old girl was 21 inches tall at the shoulder and the uncleared snow was over her head in places! This was in a small village outside Glasgow.

74564225_JazDec2010.thumb.jpg.13cae6350c4b094bf4975dc749aa2fc1.jpg

10 hours ago, loserone said:

Last time I drove it there was a screw driver in the car, because the wiring for the starter was a bit* degraded.  Think it's got a relay for it now.

Ah. I swear I bridged something... ? I asked my dad to help rewire it because I'm not too good with electrics but he wouldn't help because 'multimeter says yes'. 

On 12/1/2020 at 7:28 AM, Split_Pin said:

I watched this last night. SNO KAOS, 1979 January and February, M62. Showing that Range Rovers are actually quite bloody good. Plenty of chod and sideburns

up on "windy Hill" i've witnessed aPlod RR drag a fully loaded artic out of middle lane onto the hard shoulder, it made it look easy...but as we drove passsed you could smell Clutch....but did what it had to!!

16 hours ago, motorpunk said:

Daren’t use the Lotus. BMW nearly fell over itself on a moist leaf on a gentle incline yesterday (new rubber on order) and the Fiat will dissolve if it sees anything other than bone-dry Mediterranean climate. I’ll have to move house, walk, or buy a better daily...

Don't know how cold it gets down your way but I'm commuting in temperatures of -3 to +2 at the moment and I've put the usual set of Bridgestone Blizaaks on the e61 so its fine.

Been over the Lecht and into all sorts of snowy places with Blizaaks on previous BMWs.

6 hours ago, Tayne said:

Don't know how cold it gets down your way but I'm commuting in temperatures of -3 to +2 at the moment and I've put the usual set of Bridgestone Blizaaks on the e61 so its fine.

Been over the Lecht and into all sorts of snowy places with Blizaaks on previous BMWs.

Midlands, so we get a bit of snow but not that bad. I’ve never had a BMW that was any good in the cold but I’ve just fitted new Falken ZIEXs so will see how we go.

Just now, motorpunk said:

Midlands, so we get a bit of snow but not that bad. I’ve never had a BMW that was any good in the cold but I’ve just fitted new Falken ZIEXs so will see how we go.

ZIEX are summer tyres so they will be crap in any snow, they are good for the rest of the year though.

No snow here yet but I've fitted a set of Hankook 4 season tyres to the golf to make sure I can get to work when the weather does turn.

I pretty much missed the white Christmas of 2010, although they did show it on the telly whilst I was in Oz.

If it snows this year I can deploy the Landie (obvious choice) but will probably use my old Qashqai which despite being petrol and 2wd has some previous in off road and limited traction scenarios, plus it has chunky looking M+S tyres on the driven wheels. I quite enjoy the frisson of risk involved in using a 2wd car in ice or mud.

4 hours ago, Jazoli said:

ZIEX are summer tyres so they will be crap in any snow, they are good for the rest of the year though.

No snow here yet but I've fitted a set of Hankook 4 season tyres to the golf to make sure I can get to work when the weather does turn.

I remember when I had my xm it needed tyres, so I put a pair of part worn winters on the front, and looked forward to the snow! 

Wasn't any that year, the tyres wore down mega quick and I had to have a new pair the next spring... 

Never bothered since, the sensible way is a second set of wheels I guess (or own a tyre machine) but Ive got nowhere to store them