Shitecycle - Free to a new home...

The Moog

Today I sold two VHS video recorders that had been in my loft for years. Advertised them yesterday on the local Facebook Market place. Both sold within an hour.

Woman picked one up-drove from Dagenham.  Other buyer came up by train from Deptford in SE London. I met him at the station as the buses to my village are only running every 2 hours. Nice bloke, and was happy to tell me he that he resells them on Amazon. 

Must do well out of it, and good luck to him. Anyone that makes a three hour round trip on a train for a £20 Toshiba VHS  deserves to make a profit.

• 2 weeks later...

May have offered these before, but kicking around my shed are two brand new front wishbones for a facelift Freelander 1 if anyone wants them, also a brand new handbrake cable for the same but I can't remember which side it's for or if that even matters.

And I've got a wiper motor for a Sierra sapphire, just remembered.

Re VHS videos, a very professionally run charity shop near me always used to sell every blank VHS tape they were given, even at a price of £1.99 a pop - I presume because they are more or less impossible to get otherwise.

To clarify, these were unused NOS ones usually still in the cellophane wrapper - I assume magnetic tape lasts a long time if stored correctly.

16 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Re VHS videos, a very professionally run charity shop near me always used to sell every blank VHS tape they were given, even at a price of £1.99 a pop - I presume because they are more or less impossible to get otherwise.

To clarify, these were unused NOS ones usually still in the cellophane wrapper - I assume magnetic tape lasts a long time if stored correctly.

I remember back in the day, when zip drives and such like were the mass storage of choice...Banks etc used to store all their data on magnetic tapes, the theory was that  they didn't corrupt and they lasted indefinitely, that was theory anyway, especially as i vaguely remember dvds had a shelf life of about 10 years then they'd just not read/write properly. 

Google says it is still a thing, sort of http://shorturl.at/wLUV7

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2020 at 8:46 PM, 1duck said:

I remember back in the day, when zip drives and such like were the mass storage of choice...Banks etc used to store all their data on magnetic tapes, the theory was that  they didn't corrupt and they lasted indefinitely, that was theory anyway, especially as i vaguely remember dvds had a shelf life of about 10 years then they'd just not read/write properly. 

Google says it is still a thing, sort of http://shorturl.at/wLUV7

In a similar way, photographs captured on film (and stored correctly) last a hell of a lot longer than digital ones stored on cards or hard drives. The files are just too prone to corruption over time, as the storage medium starts to degrade. Copying them to fresh locations every so often does prevent a lot of the issues, but if you have several hundred/thousand of them it's a bit of a chore. I suppose photos stored in the "cloud" would last indefinitely, but you haven't really got any direct control over them then.

Peugeot 13" trims, two different styles.

The fixing rings are missing on most of them, but may be useful to someone.

happy to post at cost or shitely assist7df90fed6c7c6eb650e25bd554abaacf.jpg1f7adba2a03212c358d0811938a5a6c5.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Bumpity, will be going down the tip next week..

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

TAKEN - for a Rover 800, :-)

JimH sent me this Rover radio for my Metro for free - so now moving on to next shiter for free....I have confirmed it powers up, but did not enter the code for it.

IMG_20200519_194853.jpg.3b18c88c234263020a341ee01b62ce23.thumb.jpg.ae08efcdc409f54aeeb468b41717f9ac.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

Can anyone make good use of this? @Yoss do you still have a Felicia?

CEB9677D-671F-461D-8F97-F62523A45BB0.thumb.jpeg.0c7b11f39f9adbe60d2d83a0029ef3ff.jpeg

Hi, thanks for the thought. Yes still have it but I also have that Haynes manual. Don't really need two. I suppose I could have a best one for indoors and a grubby one in the garage like I do for the Triumph. 

See if anybody else wants it first but if you're going to chuck it away I'll take it off you and sort out something for postage. Cheers. 

4 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Hi, thanks for the thought. Yes still have it but I also have that Haynes manual. Don't really need two. I suppose I could have a best one for indoors and a grubby one in the garage like I do for the Triumph. 

See if anybody else wants it first but if you're going to chuck it away I'll take it off you and sort out something for postage. Cheers. 

I can keep it in the garage with the stash of other books of lies, so if no takers it's yours. It has been used when I owned a Felly so may have a couple of thumbprints but is in otherwise good order

47 minutes ago, rainagain said:

I was at my dad’s recently and he reminded me that this is still sitting in his garage. A nice piece of test kit. Last time I powered it up, all the modules worked bar one but I can’t remember which one. Free to a shitter. Collection only in Fife due to size. 

I would love to re-home that, alas I am nowhere near Fife. ?

11 hours ago, rainagain said:

I was at my dad’s recently and he reminded me that this is still sitting in his garage. A nice piece of test kit. Last time I powered it up, all the modules worked bar one but I can’t remember which one. Free to a shitter. Collection only in Fife due to size. 

I'm near Fife and I kind of want it. One question though. What is it?

43 minutes ago, juular said:

I'm near Fife and I kind of want it. One question though. What is it?

It’s a test rack for working on electrical/electronic kit. There’s a power supply, a volt meter and I think a signal generator and a counter. If you zoom in on the pics the units have labels I think. I’m on my phone so I can’t see them very well.  

19 hours ago, sofarsogood said:

Metal car ramps. Collection from Notts area. Hurry before the scrap man takes them. I will store them for a short period if someone genuinely wants them.

20200918_125520.jpg

Shame to scrap the ramps but not worth the trip for me to get them I am afraid.

However we will provide outdoor storage for any ramps that are in the way. Then any shiter who needs ramps can borrow them or take them to keep providing we are not down to our last pair. The scheme is under way and with have 3 pairs at the moment.

The drawback is they need to arrive in Buckingham MK18

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

Shame to scrap the ramps but not worth the trip for me to get them I am afraid.

However we will provide outdoor storage for any ramps that are in the way. Then any shiter who needs ramps can borrow them or take them to keep providing we are not down to our last pair. The scheme is under way and with have 3 pairs at the moment.

The drawback is they need to arrive in Buckingham MK18

I could pick these up on my way back from Scotland on Tuesday week...