Shiply Users! Am I getting rinsed?

I need a new piece of crap moving 272 miles from Arundel to Birkenhead.

Mr Bickle recommended a gent with a Transit low loader but he seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

Put the job on Shiply and the lowest bid I'm getting is £225 without the Shiply auction fee (which I want to avoid). Bickle's bloke was far cheaper over a similar distance, so is it just a case of waiting for the bidding frenzy to drive the price down?

Yeah, to be fair that's not a lot. Bloke I've used (Bignut off RR) charges about a quid a mile and I thought that was well cheap personally. By the time he's paid diesel both ways there won't be a lot in it to take home tbh

When you put it like that, it begins to make sense - that's a day gone, easily - and what's he charging? Something like 70 p a mile?

It's all about waiting for someone with an empty load so it'll be worth waiting in my experience, I had an E21 shipped from Conwy in North Wales to London for £85 for example.

Obviously if someone's making a special journey it will cost more, I find it can take up to 10 days to get get the best prices in.

It's all about waiting for someone with an empty load so it'll be worth waiting in my experience, I had an E21 shipped from Conwy in North Wales to London for £85 for example.

Obviously if someone's making a special journey it will cost more, I find it can take up to 10 days to get get the best prices in.

^^ This. As a solo mission, less than a quid a mile is insanity. As a way to cover fuel costs for an otherwise empty return journey, a nice, cheap quote can be possible.

^^ This. As a solo mission, less than a quid a mile is insanity. As a way to cover fuel costs for an otherwise empty return journey, a nice, cheap quote can be possible.

I've had two people willing to do it for less than £1 a mile. I might wait to see if someone's doing a return trip, in that case.

When i tried shipley for a quote to bring the colt from Ashford they started at £560 :shock: over the following week droped to £140 which was damn cheep so i spoke to the guy and his company where going to drive it in convoy with a couple more cars,

i thought sod it if its to be driven then i will do it myself, £85 for the train, £60 in petrol and about £20 food, wasnt as cheep but way more fun :wink:

I had an Allegro moved from the south coast to Stourbridge for around £110. He was based down the road in Kidderminster and it was a return trip. It may be worth waiting a bit longer. I would have thought that there would be loads of people with transport around your neck of the woods!!

Just wait for the bidding to build up, you may even get someone who is travelling the route empty and wants a backload message you and say something like "WILL CHARGE £100 IF I CAN DO IT ON FRIDAY" or something.

To dodge the fees just google the users name, often its the same as their ebay username and you can contact them directly