How piss poor was Top Gear last night?

The Reverend Bluejeans

I normally like TG, I even like a lot of the stuff that annoys other people, but that show last night was quite simply embarrassing to watch. :evil:

I'll often defend the arseing about and trashing the odd shit motor in the name of comedy but there was barely a glimmer of a smirk in that whole 90 minutes.

They're going to have to try a LOT harder than that for the next series or it could end up being the last. :(

I..went to the same posh public school as producer Andy Wilman

Top points, I believe the only reason JC got his break at Top Gear in the 90s was buttonholing the fellow public school/then-TG producer at a posh party (Jon Bentley who I actually quite like, and TG was good when he was in charge) The whole old school tie bit at the BBC makes me puke.

I thought that Cameron bit was just green screen editing??

The banners on the train did make me chortle

The same 'joke' that they did with the Larsens biscuits on the silverstone 24hr race car door a few years back.

As already said, the only surprise was that the cars did not 'hilariously' fall off the mountain at the end.

Hey ho. They bodged it this year. Not the end of the world, but they should have tried harder.

Does make me laugh the number of "I refuse to watch TG" folks who all seem to religiously watch just so they can complain on car forums.

Fuck it. It'll be on Dave in a few weeks, skip it if you didn't enjoy it. I find Coronation St and Eastenders terminally irritating, so I don't watch them. I certainly don't write whole threads about how Dirty Den has the wrong Feu Orange hanging from his mirror or whatever.

Hey ho. They bodged it this year. Not the end of the world, but they should have tried harder.

Does make me laugh the number of "I refuse to watch TG" folks who all seem to religiously watch just so they can complain on car forums.

I'm not one of those. I like (liked) TG, but this was utter shit. I will of course watch the new series, but to be honest I don't have high hopes for it on the strength of this tosh.

It was mundane televisual entertainment that no doubt got the required ratings and will be easy to punt on to other networks resulting in revenue to the Beeb in the form of advertising space (Dave) and sales / repeat fees to other networks.

Sadly this seems to be the way of the world with telly these days. So much is off the peg telly to a given formula because "thats what the public want" and it sells. Just like car makers and the current trend for "crossover" cars.

Is there room for Angela Rippon and Noel Edmonds test driving the latest offering from Kia and telling us how many MPG it does? More to the point, will it sell? Will it generate prime advertising space for the Beebs commercial arm?

Is there room for Angela Rippon and Noel Edmonds test driving the latest offering from Kia and telling us how many MPG it does? More to the point, will it sell? Will it generate prime advertising space for the Beebs commercial arm?

But the whole point of everyone paying the TV licence is that this shouldn't be a consideration. The BBC should be delivering public service broadcasting, not pandering to the lowest common denominator like some kind of modern day Live! TV...

You have to think, Clarkson is 52 next year, and James will be 49. and Hammond is in his 40s too. Clarkson has a gammy hip, gammy back and countless other things wrong too, so getting in & out of low slung sports cars & hooning around in them will get increasingly difficult for him.

You have to think, Clarkson is 52 next year, and James will be 49. and Hammond is in his 40s too. Clarkson has a gammy hip, gammy back and countless other things wrong too, so getting in & out of low slung sports cars & hooning around in them will get increasingly difficult for him.

hence the reason why they are trying to be the new 3 stooges :roll:

But the whole point of everyone paying the TV licence is that this shouldn't be a consideration. The BBC should be delivering public service broadcasting, not pandering to the lowest common denominator like some kind of modern day Live! TV...

I agree, but they dont. As with everything these days (including the NHS) the thoughts are "how can this make money for our organisation". And if it cant, then its given the short shrift.

Is there anything the BBC TV produce that isnt designed to make money, anything that appeals only to a minority audience?

Even their See-Hear stuff these days isnt specially produced any more, its just mainstream stuff signed, at 3am. Honestly is it any wonder deaf people look so bloody ill? They have to stop up to 3am to watch Eastenders and Top of the Pops!

i didnt watch top gear.

i dont have a TV.

I dont pay any license fees.

I dont care what brand of crap the bbc put on their channels

repeat to fade

I saw the last 20 mins. I wasn't really that bothered about the demise of the Roller or the Mini, the Jag seemed a bit of a pity- i've lusted over a decent late model XJS for a while. I was waiting for the Allegro to be destroyed and was confused when it wasn't. They have probably all been abandoned in India anyway, more than likely scrapped.

The whole TG thing has run out of steam now, Better get some new ideas!

I'm a front-line battle-hardened Top Gear apologist and thought that last night's special sucked laminated zebra gonads.

I suspect, though, that the trouble is with the audience rather than the formula itself. There's no obvious sign of the shows popularity waning; look at how successful all the peripheral products are, from radio-control cars to Stig bubblebath. There are now two magazines; one specifically aimed at kids (but which makes me wonder whether the "adult" version is worth bothering with, so peurile has it become) and even a Top Gear annual on sale.

All I can suggest is that the franchise gets broken up. Have a kid / idiot friendly Top Gear that fits onto a prime-time slot, keep it an hour to allow for as much dicking about as they like. But maybe introduce a "Top Gear Professional", with high production values and good journalism, but actually aimed at people interested in cars rather than knob gags.

It's hard to know what would be a better Top Gear. The last thing I want to see is a half-hour parade through the latest new Hyundai reporting on what MPG it does and whether you can fit a wardrobe in the boot. I've watched old Top Gear on YouTube and it is not interesting viewing.

I want what the classic press (especially C&SC) delivers - that dream of how good motoring can be. Glorious cars - not just new OMG POWAH ones - glorious locations and presenters showing what a good time can be had in cars. I don't the masses educated that smashing up old cars and taking the piss out of owners' clubs is the way forward.

I want what the classic press (especially C&SC) delivers - that dream of how good motoring can be. Glorious cars - not just new OMG POWAH ones - glorious locations and presenters showing what a good time can be had in cars.

A programme like that would be great, especially if it was presented by the more erudite and entertaining classic journalists :)

taking the piss out of owners' clubs is the way forward.

My thoughts exactly.

I still love TG, I just thought that the India special was as weak as a misfiring Vespa.

The C&SC idea is a good one, but unfortunately in the age of X-factor, Strictly Come Dancing and all the other bullshit that has taken over the TV it would be a major undertaking to get a C&SC type programme on air. TG already exists, they just need to tilt the dicking about / enjoying cars ratio back towards enjoying the cars.

Given that the presenters are acting out the script to a predetermined format, that of the 'Top Gear Characters' (whom make a considerable amount of money for the BBC) why is anybody surprised by the outcome?

To call it a Carry On is absolutely right, with the 'Characters' carrying on making the same old shit whilst they reap the rewards of vast salaries, world wide travel, presenting other shows, DVD sales, personal appearance's etc.

There's no room for integrity. sign0195.gif

About the only thing worse is the USA version! emot-jerkit.gif

I want what the classic press (especially C&SC) delivers - that dream of how good motoring can be. Glorious cars - not just new OMG POWAH ones - glorious locations and presenters showing what a good time can be had in cars. I don't the masses educated that smashing up old cars and taking the piss out of owners' clubs is the way forward.

Ian, a broadcast quality HDMI camera can be had for less than a ton these days, hell, if you dont want more than a 5x zoom facility you can even use the HDMI video functionality of several mobile phones (eg Nokia N8).

Then a You Tube channel, a bit of web based publicity and blogging, maybe the odd mention in the classic motoring press and DollyGear could be born...

Hey, TG, if all this presenter bashing is upsetting anyone then I'll be glad to take over.

Just don't expect any Marinas, Vectras or MGBs to survive.

when you take over Pete can we nominate a car for the cliff drop?

i nominate the kia pride and nissan duke

I got 2 DVDs from my fiancees best friend Emily for Christmas:

Top Gear at The Movies: Rubbish. Trying too hard without The Curly Idiot. 2/10

Clarkson:Powered Up. Katie laughed her head off at it, I thought it was average. On the basis that Katie liked it, I'd give it 398327/10. :D (not obejective)

I might sound ungrateful, and I don't mean to sound so. Emily was hard to live with at first, yet she was our tower of strength when we needed her most. AND, you got my East Antrim Motor Factors hat Emily!!!!

Even their See-Hear stuff these days isnt specially produced any more, its just mainstream stuff signed, at 3am. Honestly is it any wonder deaf people look so bloody ill? They have to stop up to 3am to watch Eastenders and Top of the Pops!

We were probably fairly late to the video recorder party in 1982 but I think most folks have one in 2011...no need to stay up late at night these days at all :roll: