How piss poor was Top Gear last night?

The Reverend Bluejeans

Don't like TG. Didn't watch it. Haven't for years. If it's your thing though, I'm happy for you to enjoy it.

I watched Hill Street Blues on 4oD instead, which is a far more entertaining series. Mick Belker FTW 8)

(and what Eddy said too)

Now THAT'S more like it - just off to work out where 4oD is amongst the hundreds of channels that lurk in my Virgin box :D:D:D . See you later.

I've been watching the series on my laptop, as I don't have a TV any more. So far, I've seen 36 consecutive episodes since Christmas Eve; only 101 more to go :lol:

Shep my furry friend, that's the best Christmas present I've had! I've got the first two series of HSB on DVD but that's all they released - now I can watch series 5-7 as well :D:D:D (Not sure what happened to 3 and 4 - guess they were on ITV instead? - but let's not be churlish.)

Right, sorry, carry on back on topic...

On the topic of excellent infotainment, I've been whiling away Christmas watching The Secret Life of Machines, which I loved as a child and was thrilled to find online in its entirety.

Watchable here: http://www.exploratorium.edu/ronh/SLOM/ or on YouTube.

That was a great series - do you remember Equinox on CH4 -that a had an episode that featured the history of the 2CV.

On the topic of excellent infotainment, I've been whiling away Christmas watching The Secret Life of Machines, which I loved as a child and was thrilled to find online in its entirety.

Brilliant. A science programme presented by two very eccentric inventors with a huge disregard for health and safety. Much better than TG! The refrigerator one is definitely recommended.

Brilliant. A science programme presented by two very eccentric inventors with a huge disregard for health and safety. Much better than TG! The refrigerator one is definitely recommended.

+1 on SLOM. There were three series in the end. If I remember right there was quite a large gap chronologically between the first and second season. I remember still living in Sale when series 2 rolled around and I recorded it off the TV, so around 1991-1992.

Thing is, the period adverts and Channel 4 title sequence are now as entertaining as the programmes themselves. I think my favourite bit was when they sent the Channel 4 idents back and forth between a broadcast and domestic VCR to demonstrate the difference in electronics.

The final series was really enjoyable too, mainly because Hunkin's cartoon segways really came into their own. In the other two series he'd just used them as comic asides, in the third series there was a cast of characters and a plot that moved along as the series progressed.

I found all three series as a torrent years ago, I think I might watch a few before I go to bed. :D

I also had the SLOM Series 2 broadsheet and that Hamlyn book 'Everything According To Hunkin'.

Penny Mallory

She once rested her (very tidy) bum against my Morris 1100 at Santa Pod.

I didn't know who she was so have just done a search:

Penny is also a TV and film stunt driver and was the driving double for both "Papa" and "Nicole" in the famous Renault adverts.

:shock::D

I have seen the white Allegro used on Top Gear close up!

When the guy who bought my gold Allegro collected it, he had also collected the white one from Telford. He is a trader in Oxfordshire AJ Wescott I think, my Allegro is still there as he is asking £1,395 for it (with not tax, mot and a smokey engine). The white one sold quickly!

From my recollection of it, it was tidy and ran well. It is still showing as being taxed on the DVLA site so hopefully it is safe!

Besides, rather that than a feature comparing the boot space between the Astra and Golf diesels

How can you say that? I'd love a three hour special on comparing every single MPV with seat space, boot space and cubby hole configuration.

Besides, rather that than a feature comparing the boot space between the Astra and Golf diesels

How can you say that? I'd love a three hour special on comparing every single MPV with seat space, boot space and cubby hole configuration.

I think it would be better for the nations health is Mike Brewer and Penny Mallory visited your house and compared MPVs there. It'd save the rest of us from having to watch... after all, judging by this TG thread, it's obviously illegal to turn over if you don't like a motoring program.

I have to agree with much of the comments here, I do watch & enjoy Top Gear & I'm totally fine with the fact that it isn't a serious motoring program. 3 blokes messing about in cars having a laugh is ok with me. Never featuring run of the mill motors like 1.8 Modeos & 1.6 Astras etc is fine, I want to see fast weird & wonderful things being thrown around the test track, the challenges are great but if they'd just not be quite so childish about things I'd be much happier.

My problem is the over the top staged incidents & needless wrecking of cars, nobody into cars really wants to see them take a perfectly good car (even if it is somthing like a Marina) destroyed just to entertain ladish bar room car fans who's understanding of the subject is minimal. I'm not so fussed if they damage run of the mill bangers that were only fit for the scrappy anyway but so often it's something that's not so common & has a following.

I must admit I thought they might not wreck the cars this time, but as someone else has pointed out, the moment Clarkson hammered a nail through the XJS boot it was the start of a slippery and rather steep, slope.

I'm sure the Cameron bit at the start was just a clever edit - I know he has dinner with Clarkson now and again but doing a promo bit for a TV show is bit too much,surely?

I'm sure the Cameron bit at the start was just a clever edit - I know he has dinner with Clarkson now and again but doing a promo bit for a TV show is bit too much,surely?

No.

Camoron is a professional media whore and would sell Samantha for the kind of 'positive exposure' that association with a successful export like TG would give him. Unless, of course, the programme in question was a steaming pile of elephant shit the size of the Taj Mahal.

Ah, well. Never mind... ;-)

I think it would be better for the nations health if Penny Mallory visited your house.

EFA. :D

taking the piss out of owners' clubs is the way forward.

My thoughts exactly.

I still love TG, I just thought that the India special was as weak as a misfiring Vespa.

The C&SC idea is a good one, but unfortunately in the age of X-factor, Strictly Come Dancing and all the other bullshit that has taken over the TV it would be a major undertaking to get a C&SC type programme on air. TG already exists, they just need to tilt the dicking about / enjoying cars ratio back towards enjoying the cars.

Completely agree. I don't like Strictly or X Factor, but they appear to fulfil a need that the public has and for that reason as much as I dislike both with a passion, they should stay.

I'm normally a TG fan but this 'special' left me disappointed. The guys were being even more childish than usual and there was nothing new, just a predictable rehash of old ideas. I just knew they'd make a complete cockup of the challenges, sabotage each other's cars, paint something rude, buy each other stupid presents and finally wreck the cars by modifying them - it's all been done several times before and is getting tired now. India is a fascinating place but we didn't learn anything about it and there was no real sense of adventure either so TG compares poorly with Ice Road Truckers that was on around the same time.

I don't think TG is a dead duck just yet but the current format has had its day and needs major changes to keep it fresh. How much longer can Clarkson keep getting away with his foot-in-mouth comments?

I'm normally a TG fan but this 'special' left me disappointed. The guys were being even more childish than usual and there was nothing new, just a predictable rehash of old ideas. I just knew they'd make a complete cockup of the challenges, sabotage each other's cars, paint something rude, buy each other stupid presents and finally wreck the cars by modifying them - it's all been done several times before and is getting tired now. India is a fascinating place but we didn't learn anything about it and there was no real sense of adventure either so TG compares poorly with Ice Road Truckers that was on around the same time.

I don't think TG is a dead duck just yet but the current format has had its day and needs major changes to keep it fresh. How much longer can Clarkson keep getting away with his foot-in-mouth comments?

Well said.

I thought the chemical toilet installation to the Jag XJS was rather grim. Come on, chaps - you ought to come up an interesting and yet still humourous special than this schoolboy effort.

Will someone please shoot James Blunt and Adele? (from Reverend BlueJeans' signature...)

EFA, and thanks Reverend, for giving me this platform. :D

I don't mind either of those - not my cup of tea, and whilst Adele's hollering gets a bit taxing nothing is as bad as the smug, nasal crooning of that CUNT Micheal Fucking Buble.