TV cock ups

pbottomley

Just been sat here watching Hollyoaks :D

Sets the scene:

The Tranny in which they are travelling breaks down and the blond tottie says its "spark plugs dirty", all the guys say its the "carburettor" ... guess what after some moody acting the girls say the tottie is right so to prove it she says she will fix it. To remove the plugs she first lays under the transit!!! Once she fixes it (longest arms on earth) they restart it and its a frigging oil burner ... FFS ruined my belief in Hollyoaks no end...There was me all drawn inot the story line and they ruin it with basic 101 errors :lol:

Just been sat here watching Hollyoaks :D

Sets the scene:

The Tranny in which they are travelling breaks down and the blond tottie says its "spark plugs dirty", all the guys say its the "carburettor" ... guess what after some moody acting the girls say the tottie is right so to prove it she says she will fix it. To remove the plugs she first lays under the transit!!! Once she fixes it (longest arms on earth) they restart it and its a frigging oil burner ... FFS ruined my belief in Hollyoaks no end...There was me all drawn inot the story line and they ruin it with basic 101 errors :lol:

:lol::lol:

I was just about to post exactly the same thing! I'd have lain under her though no danger.

And in another display of mediocre Coronation Street scriptwriting, a non-starting (Transit?) was immediately diagnosed as having a faulty battery... despite the starter churning over for several seconds at normal speed :lol: Do they honestly think nobody with any mechanical aptitude ever watches the show? (accidentally in my case)

Not exactly a cockup, but there is an episode of the Professionals that features a Tina Ghia estate (car chasewith desk on roof etc), and at the end of sad chase they twat it hard into a kerb, and you clearly see the suspension bend. A couple of mins later, they drive off with no damage at all. Hmmmm

Some obsessive goof-spotting from Seinfeld

There are several continuity errors regarding the Saab: When Jerry and Elaine go to see the car in the warehouse, the detective refers to the angle on the V6 and the turbocharger. When Jerry concludes that the car can't be his, a distressed woman identifies it as her Saab 9000 Turbo. Neither the Saab 900 or 9000 were ever available with a turbocharged V6 engine. Later, the Saab that Kramer and Newman follow is a Saab 900SE, which was only available with either a V6 or turbocharged 4-cylinder, yet Jerry said his Saab is a 900S with was only available with a non-turbo 4-cylinder.

Some common ones:

rear view mirror and headrest are often removed

the driver turns the wheel side to side when travelling down a straight bit of road

you can always drop down a gear to get a massive speed burst

car doors are bulletproof

vehicles explode in a massive fireball after running out of fuel

some specific ones:

Children of Men - bump starting an automatic Aventime

Commando - yellow 911 that magically repairs itself

The Fast & The Furious - changes up a gear about 8 times

Vehicles seem to explode in a massive fireball for any reason! From being shot once with a gun (disproved on Mythbusters) to falling off a cliff.

The lack of attention to detail with cars does piss me off. Sure, not everyone knows how a computer works when it comes down to the nitty gritty, but some of these car errors are akin to having someone type an email on a computer that isn't switched on.

The A Team was full of constant errors with cars, especially in the episode 'Taxicab Wars'. A car changes type 3 times in under a minute, and it often shows a more modern car, then when it is about to go boom, it is a much older car of a different type all together. They even used a late 60s Econoline van in a jump stunt that was supposed to be the GMC van..

Top Gear. Full stop.

+1.

I just can't watch those morons anymore.

+1. They are 3 fucking idiots. Clarkson is one of the most arrogant pricks on TV now, Hammond is just milking it for the cash, and James is just a human spaniel with a very strange laugh.

the driver turns the wheel side to side when travelling down a straight bit of road

This comes from before the days of rack & pinion steering, where the steering box would have inches of play at the rim of the steering wheel (3" play was an MOT pass on a mk2 transit IIRC, so I'd expect an American motor would be worse).

Ironically, given that it's a kids cartoon in which cars can talk, the Disney-Pixar films Car and Cars 2 are pretty spot-on when it comes to vehicular nerdiness. In fact, a major plotline revolves around the type of head bolts that Rover/Buick V8 engines use (although I admit I don't actually know how accurate this is). I spent quite a while on geeking up Cars 2 online on Boxing Day having watched it with the family.

830px-Milesaxlerodposing.jpg

I watched a cringeworthy episode of the new Torchwood earlier in the year. What a whole heap of crap that show has become. Thanks America!

In one scene, they smash their way into a modern American thing (rear side window) and are instantly able to hotwire the car and get away. Good going. Do American cars not have immobilisers or wiring hidden away at all? Amazingly, this car was such a neat design that despite missing a rear side window, the two people inside the car were still able to hold a conversation at speed without their hair being blown all over the place...

Some common ones:

rear view mirror and headrest are often removed

you can always drop down a gear to get a massive speed burst

car doors are bulletproof

some specific ones:

Children of Men - bump starting an automatic Aventime

Commando - yellow 911 that magically repairs itself

The Fast & The Furious - changes up a gear about 8 times

The side to side steering wheel waggling is necessary in the majority of pre 1960 cars I have driven and any sherpa van....steering boxes are terrible things we have no idea .how fortunate we are with our model steering systems....you don't so much as drive some of the old cars rather you operate them...