AS Day Trips.

Pete-M

Oh aye, let's bin that idea then Felly and all get our Astons and Porsches out instead hey? Good job you're here though as OBVIOUSLY no-one would ever think that running some old shite mobile round a race track could lead to epic fail. You are the SAVIOUR of the internet and I for one am so glad you've appointed yourself the H&S spokesman for Autoshite, another feather in your cap along with taxi buyers guidance and whatever else :roll:

Pete: the Ponderosa might be worth a meet. Nice views, good roads and sodding great cafe at the summit too.

^^^ Give over, for fuck's sake, I've read the first line and given up.

Same here. Gave up! Whatever. I drove almost 200 miles to thrash my 2CV around the Haynes Motor Museum test track. I've also taken it rallying and drag racing (not much fun!) and thrashed it around Mallory Park and up Prescott Hillclimb. I strongly refute any suggestion that we're all driving around in 'death traps.' My cars may look shit, but they're good where it matters.

Pete-M's probably right though, and naturally I'd fully support a trip into Wales. We've got some stonking roads, though before Felly gets all high and mighty AGAIN, I shall point out that for enthusiastic driving, off the road is better. Some people can get overly silly in a group.

As has been said, North Wales is great value. How about RAF Cosford? The breakfast club meets have recently been cancelled and they were brill. The museum is full of stacks of aero shite to bore the family with, too.

I don't think a track day is essential, but it would make a good focal point to the whole day.

As has been said, North Wales is great value. How about RAF Cosford? The breakfast club meets have recently been cancelled and they were brill. The museum is full of stacks of aero shite to bore the family with, too.

I don't think a track day is essential, but it would make a good focal point to the whole day.

RAF Cosford would be cool. I've passed that place on the train a few times. Looks good.

I've done four trackdays at Marham now, and the most expensive car I've taken round there was £360-'orth of Renault 21 Turbo. The time before that I went round in a Saab 9000 with 267,000 miles on the clock; the time before that was an F-reg Accord which cost me £100. All survived being thrashed round the track all day, and all drove home quite happily under their own steam (although the Renault did have a bit of a sticky brake for a while). I don't think there's anything wrong with taking old cars on track days - in fact I think an AS track day would be a superb idea.

I agree, a track day of some sort might be a load of fun. So might a gentle drive in the country for chips out of paper, looking at the sea. Late in 2012 I will most likely be up for any such gatherings within economic reach of the Lake District. Which probably means someone here will get to see one of their old cars again too. Win-win, I suggest!

Right for the 'track day wallers', time to lay down some cold hard facts! With plenty of evidence to back it up. Its fucking expensive now! You are talking by the time you add up all the costs, around £200 for the day, and the following links prove it.

This shows prices for early in the year! As the racing season starts, expect prices to go insane!

http://www.focusedevents.com/car_event_list.asp

And I've checked both Brands Hatch & Oulton Park's prices via their own website, and then you are talking around £120 for the day per entry. Not cheap, and spaces are very limited even now.

For even half a day you are looking at 70 notes at Brands etc, plus fuel getting there & back (plus fuel for the laps), skid lid hire, food etc, plus the possibility of new rubber afterwards. When you weigh up the actual costs, it does become quite alarming.

http://www.clubmsv.com/car-home/novice-only.aspx more info here.

Not all of us can afford to throw £200 on the back of the fire for just one day's playing out. Yeah, it might be fun, but as cash gets tighter for us all, something like that becomes a bit 'pie in the sky'.

Snetterton is about the cheapest down south I've found at £89 for the full day 'novice only', and is just off the A11, about 7 miles north of Thetford in Norfolk.

You will also find that most of the tracks here in the UK are now owned by corporate groups, so are bunging prices up a fair old whack.

Suggestions for a North West Meet up:

June 24th Blackpool Prom (By Solaris South Shore)

http://www.totallytransport.info/whatson.html

There is usually something on at the Commercial Vehicle Museum in Leyland too.

Or we could meet up at the Romper pub near manchester airport and enjoy a pint of shandy and a meal.

My first comments were tongue in cheek. But dare I mention drag racing? I turned up at the Pod in a Nissan Bluebird and they asked me if I wanted to race. No insurance or high costs involved. No helmets or special licences; just puttering sedately up the strip. And if it blows up they don't care. I think a RWYB autoshite day could be great fun. I've been a few times and there are brave souls with old bangers just there for fun.

My first comments were tongue in cheek. But dare I mention drag racing? I turned up at the Pod in a Nissan Bluebird and they asked me if I wanted to race. No insurance or high costs involved. No helmets or special licences; just puttering sedately up the strip. And if it blows up they don't care. I think a RWYB autoshite day could be great fun. I've been a few times and there are brave souls with old bangers just there for fun.

As I mentioned earlier, drag racing is SHIT boring if you're in something slow. Mind you, me and a mate in our 2CVs did manage a race where we were only 0.3secs apart at the finish. Both had a terminal speed below 50mph.

I accept that track days are expensive - don't think you'll find anywhere that I've said they're not - and yes, to be honest, a chat and a gawp at each others' cars is probably the way to go, perhaps with a nice scenic drive afterwards.

Food for thought:

A couple* of years ago when Maigret Citroens were shite I organised a quiz based on the nursery rhyme Oranges and Lemons which as you all probably know is about some old churches in east London. Fun for all the family type thing. Work out the churches involved, go to them, answer a question I had devised to make sure you had been there and then all meet up to decide who got most right.

Boris would probably not allow that sort of thing nowadays and it would be too far for most to travel but the same sort of thing could be organised at a scenic area near you

if anyone can be arsed. :)