AS Day Trips.

Pete-M

An AS day trip ought to consist of a knackered 1980s coach going to some utterly dismal seaside resort. It would involve the penny arcade, eating cold chips whilst watching the rain falling, then top it of with a show by Cannon & Ball or someone else who OAPs found funny in the 70s

Some kind of terminal understeer crapfest trackday at Curborough or whatever that bike track near Buxton is called would be great. I keep e mailing the former but never get a reply.

A shite track day would be epic fun.

Just not at Haynes motor museum.

Actually, let's have it at Haynes motor museum, because that's miles away from where everyone lives.

Some kind of terminal understeer crapfest trackday at Curborough or whatever that bike track near Buxton is called would be great. I keep e mailing the former but never get a reply.

Is that the same place they do banger racing?

You will find that you aint insured to do track days, and if you stuff it, you are well & truly bollixed, as they will null and void your policy. Just insuring for one day's worth of track action can cost megabucks.

FFS. Rather than OMG U IZ WELL BOLLOXED, how about just bearing in mind that you're not covered and trying your best not to crash? Seems to work for me. Unlike the road, it is not illegal to hurtle around a track without insurance. If you drive like a dickhead and smash your car up, you deserve to get walloped for repairs. We're talking Autoshite here, not TVRs or Ferraris.

Au Autoshite towers you will find, people can make up their own mind.

It's a new concept for you, there's so much reading to do,

It's the only place to be, if you just ignore Felly

Entertainment all for free.

At Autoshite Towers now.

What about Gaydon?

What's he drive?

Seriously though would be epic a calvacade of chod. I'm South East so suggest a Northern and a Southern Lord Taverner's type day out.

Rocking up at Duxford in some epic quadra wheeled crapness sounds good.

What about Gaydon?

What's he drive?

Seriously though would be epic a calvacade of chod. I'm South East so suggest a Northern and a Southern Lord Taverner's type day out.

Rocking up at Duxford in some epic quadra wheeled crapness sounds good.

I think Bruntingthorpe airfield off Jn20 of the M1 has a track that is often opened up for something nearer the middle.

You will find that you aint insured to do track days, and if you stuff it, you are well & truly bollixed, as they will null and void your policy. Just insuring for one day's worth of track action can cost megabucks.

FFS. Rather than OMG U IZ WELL BOLLOXED, how about just bearing in mind that you're not covered and trying your best not to crash? Seems to work for me. Unlike the road, it is not illegal to hurtle around a track without insurance. If you drive like a dickhead and smash your car up, you deserve to get walloped for repairs. We're talking Autoshite here, not TVRs or Ferraris.

+1. Just be sensible. I there's Caterham's out there watch it as you can't see the little sods in your blind spots!

Keep in your limits, listen to instruction like keep right so faster stuff can pass.

I span my 156 Sportwagon doing The 'Ring but as I wasn't doing warp factor 16 I just 360d and kept it out the way.

refers.

Cough.

I think the "shit hot" comment was at not dying!

Spun my 155 on the 1st lap at Goodwood,found the limit quicker than I thought :oops: .The fastest lap all day was out with the instructor 5-up in an XJ-R :shock: .Did another one in an XR 4x4,there were bikes out at the same time which was slightly worrying.

Trackdays? Seriously?

Surely a proper shite daytrip would evoke the youth we are all slipping away from; dragged down the path of age by time's unstoppable force etc. Back in the old days a run out meant loading blankets and maps into the Family 2 propelled Cavalier and headong on to a motorway laden with richer families trying to force their way through our oil smoke. The destination would always be some disappointing beauty spot followed by cold tea in a draughty cafe and a foray into a creaky gift shop to buy a pencil. The return journey would require the assistance of an AA beavertail and always result in being home too late to watch television. That's a shite day out and an experience we should seek to recreate. As an aside, grandmother Futuramic - now rather dead- possessed the single worst souvenir trinket I have ever laid eyes upon. It was from Matlock. Perhaps we should begin there.

Seriously; I think a day out involving something car related could be fun and I'd go. If it were a weekend.

I have to say, I'm with Futuramic on the strangeness of the track day idea. It needs to be something properly 'autoshite', rather than the sort of day members of an AC Cobra owners club might do.

Anyway, for anyone without suitably shite wheels to evoke the true experience, there'll be 11 seats up for grabs in a rusty and epically un-soundproofed LDV 200 bus, should I tag along...

I have to say, I'm with Futuramic on the strangeness of the track day idea. It needs to be something properly 'autoshite', rather than the sort of day members of an AC Cobra owners club might do.

Anyway, for anyone without suitably shite wheels to evoke the true experience, there'll be 11 seats up for grabs in a rusty and epically un-soundproofed LDV 200 bus, should I tag along...

I'm not sure any Cobra owners would take an LDV 200 bus round a track.

Right time for a dose of something called COMMON SENSE NOW, Old shit is simply not suited for going on track days. You take an old shitter out on a race track, that isn't the best, it goes pop on the track, dumping fluid everywhere, you then cause a crash (AND THE PERSON/S WHO CRASH COMES BAYING FOR YOUR BLOOD), where someone may get hurt? Many cars on here are barely road legal for crying out loud, and have been bodged to within an inch of their lives, and then suggesting taking them on a track? That is insanity! ( I know many of you on here are just a short hop from the rubber room anyway) Plus, like a lot of us, the shit is the daily driver, and you frig it on a track, it is game over, and then you are on Shanks' pony. Also you are relying on other people to have talent. What happens if some big head in a shitbox has an ego moment & reshapes their motor using yours, through no fault of your own? I've seen that happen on countless track days.

If you even think about track days, your car has to be properly prepped, and must be 100% mechanically fit, something which a few hundred quid banger possibly wont be. You will also need a complete spare set of tyres, and even possibly a set of replacement brake pads, because track days can easily destroy them. Look, shitters are run on a budget, and cheapo tyres & brakes won't last 5 minutes on a track. Also spare fuel too, as MPG on track days can be in the low teens, or even single figures.

You need to actually take a leaf out of other forums books here if you want a successful day out, and something that will involve your whole family, and don't talk bull about you being the boss, when it is ALWAYS swmbo in charge. Road runs with a series of challenges are actually quite popular, and if you get involved with a charity, it gives the forum good PR. Just think about that for 5 minutes eh? It also gives you brownie points at home, and helps keep domestic bliss, which can be worth its weight in gold. It can also mean you get bonus playtime without moans etc.

One forum even has meets that go on over the space of a weekend, such as camping trips/stays at caravan parks, which often descend into severe drunken hilarity. (No arrests yet)

You need to look at the logistical side of any event organised as well, and weigh up all the costs, because if it is going to be expensive, nobody will go, especially as it is looking like money is going to become tighter for everyone. You can forget a single 'event', because you will require public liability insurance, and even for a single day, you can be talking a 4 figure sum, plus the hire of the venue. (been there, done that, never again! At least MacMillan got over £12k over the years).

One forum I know of has regular 'monthly' regional meets at a local 'Hungry Horse' type pub, where you meet up, have a meal, and chinwag over the cars etc. These even happen midweek. They are more popular in the summer months, as to be expected, and it is better to ring & reserve seats before hand.

And finally, remember for a day out to be a success, you need a maximum number of people involved, otherwise you are left with a damp squib of an event, that nobody enjoyed.

Also one thing for the Yorkshire/Lancashire based shitters, from May onwards, Beeston B&Q in Leeds has its monthly meet on a Saturday evening (1st Saturday in the month), and it is one of those events that 'anything goes', and have seen all sorts of motors there over the years.

I was looking at old copies of C&SC where they do their "Poor Boys Trip" every year or so.

The idea of spending a day in a cavalcade of chod enjoying a good Sunday drive out. Ice creams, steam engines, nice scenery type thing. Maybe a mooch across the moors to Betws-y-coed, the Llanberis pass, that kinda jaunt. Stop at a chippy somewhere. 150 or so miles of chundering across country hoping the oil pressure light doesn't come on. This is the kind of day I'm suggesting, although I'll give anything a go if it's likely to be fun.

I'd be up for a track day, but not one at the other end of the country. No frigging way would I drive 250 miles in, for example, the 604, give it a spanking around a track and then try to nurse it home again. A 500 mile trip in that is gonna cost about £150 in fuel alone (not including hot laps and RAC breakdown charges). Accidentally killing the thing on some racetrack in Somerset is not an option. Not when the alternative involves not killing it, or indeed driving the thing to Somerset.

Felly. I'm not suggestiing some sort of massive organised meet up. This is AS. Basically the 604 should be alive in the next few weeks. I'd like to go and play in it, and if any other 'shiters fancy a day 'playing out' in their old cars then a few of us could get together. For free. In a pub / little chef etc car park and then go for a drive about. Do a few miles visiting a few places, grab some lunch, go home.

Felly.

Thanks for your interest. :wink:

However, I'll organise it myself and if I get anywhere I'll ask people to PM me.

Doubtless you'll shoot me down in flames but the sort of event I had in mind resembled a sprint more than anything else. Curborough \ the Haynes Museum track are set up for nothing larger than a single car doing a time trial. I have several people who could marshal such an event and two trained first aiders should the need arise.

It's fine. Don't you worry. If I bin my 460 the whole car stands me at £400 so I'm too bothered. Of course, I don't want to stuff it into a wall but none of us are as talented as we like to think.

Anyway, Christ alive Shangri La, it was an idea. A bloody idea. If you don't like, don't come.