Renault to axe Laguna, Espace, Modus and... Wind!

Vinylseats

Thought this news may be of interest to this forum - it's all future shite after all. :D

Axe falls on Renault line-up

Array of models are to be dropped as poor sales hit hard, with annual figures down by 50,000 in only five years

car_photo_485077_7.jpg

Renault is trimming the fat from its UK line-up, following plummeting sales figures over the last few years. From February, no fewer than five models will be axed, leaving some notable gaps in the range.

Top of the chops are the Laguna hatch, Sport Tourer and Coupe. Also disappearing will be the Espace and Grand Espace, Modus and Grand Modus, Wind roadster and Kangoo passenger car. Collectively, these make up nearly 10 per cent of Renault’s total UK sales.

A source revealed there will be no direct replacements for the Modus, Laguna or Espace families. Renault is working on small, medium and large crossovers to take their places.

First to arrive will be a supermini-SUV in 2013, to complement the new Clio range, while the larger crossovers will follow a year later. The Wind and Kangoo have sold poorly and will be dropped altogether, even though the Wind only launched 18 months ago.

A host of new models will arrive next year, but Renault is admitting the cuts will hurt sales figures. It expects to shift only 51,000 cars and vans in the UK in 2012, compared to 75,540 in 2011. Considering it sold 126,816 vehicles in 2006, this is a significant drop, although Renault believes sales will be back above 75,000 in the UK by 2013.

According to a Renault spokesman, the drastic measures are part of a plan to push the brand upmarket. With its budget arm Dacia launching in the UK next year, Renault now has the chance to focus on “sexier and sportier†products and leave traditional models behind.

Clio heads new arrivals

It's not all doom and gloom, however. Nine new Renault and Dacia models will appear next year. The most important arrival is the fourth-generation Clio, on sale in November. It will be joined by a supermini-SUV in 2013, inspired by the Captur concept.

The facelifted Twingo, Scenic and Megane go on sale in January, February and April respectively, while the Twizy EV arrives in March. The Fluence Z.E. and Zoe Z.E. go on sale in May and October, and the firm’s Dacia budget brand arrives here in December, with the Duster SUV and Sandero hatch.

From February, all cars will come with Renault 4+, a four-year/100,000-mile warranty with four years’ free roadside assistance and servicing plus the option of four years of zero per cent finance.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/276397/axe_falls_on_renault_lineup.html

Axe falls on Renault line-up

A source revealed there will be no direct replacements for the Modus, Laguna or Espace families. Renault is working on small, medium and large crossovers to take their places.

Is that the sweet smell of fuck up on the horizon... methinks so.

I can understand that they are not selling well but replacing them with crossovers sounds as practical as replacing all your boxers with swimming trunks.

The great British public have finally realised that modern Renaults are junk.

The Renault brand is so damaged now that I doubt Crossovers will save them - they only found eight idiots to buy the Koleos. Thank fuck for Nissan eh? They cleared out all their dull non event saloons and hatches and went to big selling crossovers but is there room for any more?

Sales of several of the outgoing models have been low compared with their rivals, with the Laguna selling 3204 in 2010 against the Ford Mondeo’s 30,115 according to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders. The Wind, meanwhile, has sold only 2354 since its launch in mid 2010.

Espace sales have also been struggling against rivals, selling only 499 in both formats in 2010 against the Ford Galaxy’s 7533.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/renault-laguna-wind-and-espace-dropped/260529

Proton have only sold 395 cars this year :shock:

http://www.am-online.com/new-car-sales-figures/

I have to wonder if the majority of Laguna sales were because company car choosers who wanted to piss their bosses off opted for one. The figures compared to the Mondeo tell their own tale and as RBJ has said Renault have well and truly been rumbled by the British car buyer.

In 5 years (for some of us months) time the Wind will still be ugly as fuck.

EFA :wink: I fear it will be 20 years before the 2 surviving Winds have the shite appeal of their spiritual Datsun ancestors:

renault_wind_2010_7.jpg?1275313612

dscn2856jj6.jpg

Matter of time before some of us start to get frisky about a Laguna coupe for pocket money though (R9UKE, I'm looking at you), and I'm surprised about the Espace getting canned.

The Renault brand is so damaged now that I doubt Crossovers will save them - they only found eight idiots to buy the Koleos. Thank fuck for Nissan eh? They cleared out all their dull non event saloons and hatches and went to big selling crossovers but is there room for any more?

So I'm an idiot for buying a Koleos--------I bought it BECAUSE it wasn't built in France , but built in Korea. :x

I work in a Renault Garage and I will be the first to admit that the range from 2001 to 2008 is best forgotten, but to be fair to Renault, they have worked massively to get the cars more reliable. The Laguna 3 has been much better than the previous car, if much duller, and the Megane 3 has been a dream compared to the fat arse version..Unfortunately people are slow to forget the problems that they have had, and that coupled with the Recession mean that the newer cars havn't enjoyed the success that they should have had.

I’m not surprised the Laguna is being axed. It was on the cards a couple of years back if memory serves me. I wasn’t fond of the previous model (that grey flash ‘thing’ on the bonnet ruined the front end for me) and the current model just looks awkward. Add in it’s poor reliability record, it’s obvious it wasn’t going to be a sales success.

I will be sad to see the coupe go. I must say as modern cars go, I do have the hots for one of those...

Espace going? I know it’s not exactly a huge seller but it’s an iconic name. It’s the one that started it all. Not exactly a huge seller in this day and age granted, but I do think Renault will live to regret this one. I suspect the name to be revived within ten years.

Modus - meh... Not fussed on these.

Wind - I said it was going to be a flop even before it was launched. I know someone who only bought one a few months ago (brand new) too despite my advice! Can’t wait to tell her that one in the morning...! It may be worth while us sh*tters looking out for one in around six/seven years when the values become reasonable enough. It has the potential to be another ‘Fuego’ type of car. Edit : I see I'm not the first to think along these lines.

Apart from women. They still love them for some reason. The same goes for Peugeots. Always something French with women I find these days... :?

I had a modus as a hire car - it was Aubergine, slow, handled like shit, the fuel consumption was atrocious and there was feck all space inside it - so little that the BMW 1-series I had before it was actually genuinely capacious in comparison!

strangely, I am attracted to the Wind, but that 'lowered' and 'lengthened' version looks just like a more modern Honda CR-X.