Day in the life of an Autoshitest. By Alex G, Age 30 1/2

Alexg

Great write-up. My first car was a T-reg Allegro 1300 so I can visualise some of the behaviour you describe. In my car the large right hand dial was just a dummy with a pretty pattern rather than a clock. It didn't have a clock anywhere. The clock on yours looks factory so maybe it came in with the 1979 or 80 models. Or else a previous owner did a dial swap.

Mine was a well looked after low mileage car and the fuel economy wasn't great - never better than about 36 mpg even on a long run. Ironically about the same as my 3 litre 406 does on a run. Progress indeed.

Excellent stuff! This is a great colour and the estates look miles better than the saloons I think.

I agree. Well done, Alex. This all-aggro looks great. Same shade of orangey-red as my first car, the 1979 Mini I think - vermillion.

I had the same window winders on mine. The driver's side one snapped off so I went to the scrappies and bought a pair of blue ones from a Metro. Much more robust - they fit on the same hexagonal bolt thingy that rotates.

Changing the window winders is about as far as my car mechanics knowledge goes. :oops:

Been trying to start her again today, cleaned up the plugs leads dizzy etc, still no joy. Whilst awaiting my mate to turn up and help isolate the problem I remembered I had a brand new a series coilpack in the garage. Bolted it on, BRUMBRUM!!! Win!

Been trying to start her again today, cleaned up the plugs leads dizzy etc, still no joy. Whilst awaiting my mate to turn up and help isolate the problem I remembered I had a brand new a series coilpack in the garage. Bolted it on, BRUMBRUM!!! Win!

:mrgreen: SuperVroom! Glad it was an easy (and cheap) fix. That said A-series engines are generally easily fixed.

Fantastic Allegro Alex, in one of my favourite BL colours too. I can only re-echo the praise on this thread. Enjoy it!

Must encourage my tat owning friend Chris to buy another Allegro. I've driven three that he owned (2 saloons - one early, one late, and a 1750 twin carb estate, but all are long gone now). I'd like one, but I rate my chances of owning one currently as rather small...

Mark.

Luckily for me the only spare part I had solved the problem. blguy1975 PM'd me with some more information on the car, apparently she has a name - Jasper, as in Jasper Carrott (for reasons I'm sure you can work out). Now she is running again I took her for a drive to my parents house so they could have a look and then to the Supermarket - photo opportunity.

6544450787_22b2634494_z.jpg

I stopped for some fuel on the way out when a bloke approached, in late 60s, telling my how beautiful the Allegro was and how great it was to see one :D I then took 'Jasper' to her new home, a lock up near the town centre. I'm fitting an extra padlock tomorrow because a few were broken in to a while ago :roll:

6544446293_85d0d835e9_z.jpg

Ideally she should stay off the road this winter but I so enjoy driving her its going to be difficult....