Blackborough House

Danblez

Did anyone follow the thread of Blackborough House on RR a few months ago?

Tis here if not http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... read=80363

Anyway if you haven't read about it, bloody fascinating place and it was on "Salvage Hunters" Sunday night on Quest did anyone see it? Quite sad to see the house and the cars in such a sad state, but quite understandable after seeing the owner in the programme.

*Edited for technical spackery

it was on "Salvage Hunters" Sunday night on Quest did anyone see it?
did anyone see it?
Quest

Reckon you answered your own question there.

Like most of us I have been fascinated with this place since I first heard about it, is there any way I can see this program on the internet dya reckon? Also, that RR thread has some great pictures I've not seen before. There is something amazingly romantic and mysterious about old scrapyards that is an unending source of fascination for me, and seemingly for every other old car perv as well

yes there is a way to see it on the net - megavideo

i will add link to this thread once it appears online

i added a link to the 1st episode of the series in the utube thread, theres been 2 more episodes added online, if anyone wants links

it was on "Salvage Hunters" Sunday night on Quest did anyone see it?
did anyone see it?
Quest

Reckon you answered your own question there.

Like most of us I have been fascinated with this place since I first heard about it, is there any way I can see this program on the internet dya reckon? Also, that RR thread has some great pictures I've not seen before. There is something amazingly romantic and mysterious about old scrapyards that is an unending source of fascination for me, and seemingly for every other old car perv as well

Hey, Quest is an excellent channel for the young man about town. :D It does tend to drive the wife mad though the shit I watch on there. Repeated on the 10th and 12th for those who have freeview.

• 4 months later...

Was it definately on Salvage Hunters?

I watched the 3 epsidoes that they've made, but i couldn't see it?

I'd love to see it on TV coz you don't get a clear picture of it from the photographs.

Thanks

Was it definately on Salvage Hunters? I watched the 3 epsidoes that they've made, but i couldn't see it?

blackborough house is episode 4

Salvage Hunters Episode 4

Drew hits the road to restock and finds a Devon salvage yard stuffed with funky pieces before heading to Battle, where an offbeat inventor's collection includes a mummified cat.

don't suppose anyone is recording this episode?

on my sky planner it says that episode is on at 12pm on wednesday?

So it's not the one on at 9pm this evening ' Drew is delighted by a collection of rare vehicles until he realises they are not all for sale'?

^ this. I'm batling my sky guide thing and I'm jiggered if I can find the right one. :?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

I'm aware that the whole place has been up for sale on and off for a few years and believe it did get close to selling in 2007, just before the property market went down the tubes. The house, or more correctly two houses built back to back, are in a very poor state and would eat millions if anyone was brave enough to attmpt any sort of restoration/conversion, how much it's listed status will protect it is doubtful.

I have visited the yard a few times, but that was years ago and probably before it's current ownership. At the time whilst there was no clear organisation apparent they did seem to know exactly what they had or didn't have; although being pointed towards a bramble thicket on the promise of an Austin Devon with a complete dashboard was a disappointment when after hacking through finding that the switches had been broken off.

Due to the legendary status of the place I dare say stuff will go for silly money

• 7 months later...

Was going to start a thread on this, then discovered there's one on here already. Looks like the owner has grand plans here:

http://www.blackborough.house

Are they delusional about just how much this is likely to cost to restore? I wonder if all the old car and bike tat ended up selling in the auctions?

Edit: Just found these cracking photos taken by an urbexer. Looks like they did well to get so close without getting peppered with shrapnel. I guess the fact the owner remained on site for so long has helped 'save' the building to a point. Now that's it's sold and empty, I really hope the new owner/developer has secured the place properly, to stop two-legged vermin leaving their mark on it. Unless, of course, that was the developers plan all along...

http://derelictinthe.uk/almost-got-caught-derelict-country-house-devon/

DSCF0331.jpg?x85981

DSCF0292.jpg?x85981

I went to the sale and the stuff was all well past it's best and made silly money. It was so busy you couldn't get near to bid even if it had been sensible prices. Here are a few pics. Talking to an estate agent /auctioneer I know the new owners have a very large budget but no one seems to think it will ever come off as there is just so much work to be done that it will cost millions and never make the costs back as it is in the middle of nowhere with terrible transport links to be a wedding venue. The bloke I spoke to reckoned at least 100k to get the drive sorted and clean the ground up before even starting on the house.

post-5515-0-87255000-1492433438_thumb.jpg

post-5515-0-13858300-1492433580_thumb.jpg

post-5515-0-83829800-1492434493_thumb.jpg

post-5515-0-41727100-1492434719_thumb.jpg

post-5515-0-10038000-1492434838_thumb.jpg

post-5515-0-45683900-1492434961_thumb.jpg

post-5515-0-03546500-1492435060_thumb.jpg

post-5515-0-81894900-1492435197_thumb.jpg

post-5515-0-97841700-1492435293_thumb.jpg

post-5515-0-54622000-1492435448_thumb.jpg

post-5515-0-32412200-1492435529_thumb.jpg

post-5515-0-62679300-1492435642_thumb.jpg

post-5515-0-25271900-1492435818_thumb.jpg

post-5515-0-15822100-1492436013_thumb.jpg

post-5515-0-65682100-1492436099_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Got it in one - I reckon it'll never get sorted - as said above.. the driveway is non existent and long so a huge job there -

Probably mentioned but the previous owner reaffirmed his credentials on an episode of Salvage Hunters --

Stratospheric prices!!

• 5 years later...
On 4/17/2017 at 10:09 AM, Dick Longbridge said:

Was going to start a thread on this, then discovered there's one on here already. Looks like the owner has grand plans here:

http://www.blackborough.house

Are they delusional about just how much this is likely to cost to restore? I wonder if all the old car and bike tat ended up selling in the auctions?

Edit: Just found these cracking photos taken by an urbexer. Looks like they did well to get so close without getting peppered with shrapnel. I guess the fact the owner remained on site for so long has helped 'save' the building to a point. Now that's it's sold and empty, I really hope the new owner/developer has secured the place properly, to stop two-legged vermin leaving their mark on it. Unless, of course, that was the developers plan all along...

http://derelictinthe.uk/almost-got-caught-derelict-country-house-devon/

http://derelictinthe.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/DSCF0331.jpg?x85981

http://derelictinthe.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/DSCF0292.jpg?x85981

Five years on and it's back up for sale. Interesting to see some work has been done to stabilise and re-roof some areas but I reckon reality has caught up with the owners. Difficult to know what to do with a property which needs such a gargantuan amount of work. 

https://search.savills.com/property-detail/gblhchlac220193