Hurricane Bawbag-burns out Wind Turbines pics

scooters

Blimey....looks like we are in for it today in the central belt. It's already howling and due to get a lot worse. The schools are being shut all day in the west and we've just been told that the Lothian ones will shut from noon.

I was due to work in the office in Fife today but as that involves crossing the forth bridge I'll give it a miss. Paper says gusts of 100mph expected.

BXs are mince in high winds due to featherweight design.

hope the shite will be ok but more concerned about trees and houses.

in 40 years I've never seen such a warning nor have thee schools been shut here for wind.

Thanks for all the weather updates, I'd rather read about it, second hand, on a forum about cars than hear about it from Carol Kirkwood on BBC Breakfast who probably doesn't know anything about Tagoras.

Fuck off

It's relevant because my CAR is shit in high winds

I seem to recall we had a long debate earlier this year about certain members thinking they had some god given right to moderate this site.

Who gave you the right to decide site content?

You want to kick it off again or do you want to fuck off and moderate your own site?

Hi Rich,

The BX gave me the jitters on fast roads in cross-winds. Also passing arctics on the motorway, it got thrown around. Generally I thought it was more unstable than it should be - and put it down to the handling not being entirely "right" due to the wear somewhere in the steering as I've described to you, affecting the tracking characteristics. You'll see in the history that I had the wheel alignment checked and adjusted twice in recent years - most recently after a wheel bearing change - so that should be alright. I never got the opportunity/dosh to investigate further - and as I say, two garages last year didn't find any issue to report etc. I drove it very gingerly in the snow last year... In comparison, the Megane feels a lot tighter and confidence-inducing - although it does need a slight tracking adjustment as the steering wheel's not quite straight at "straight-ahead".

Mark.

Cheers Mark,

This time of year it is always pretty blowy on the Forth bridge. The BX's I have owned in the past have always been pretty subject to getting blown about especially the estates, I'm not sure it is unique to this one, it only weighs 950 odd kilos - the Subaru weighs 65% more - £1450kg

Moot point today as they shut the bridge to all vehicles at about 10am, that's only happened about twice in the last 10 years - last time a mate was killed driving an HGV when it got blown over on the A95.

Got to go out and pick the grinch (aka other in law) up from Haymarket - her train is due in at 1430 but read 1600 with the delays - typicall for her to coincide her arrival at the point when the storm is meant to be at its worse! Think I'll take the scoob

well...so much for the green energy policy - it looks like these bloody windmills can't cope with a2 bit of a blow2:

_57207144_windturbine.jpg

and this one burnt out ! near ardrossan

_57212369_fireturbine304-1.jpg

Good news for chod spotters - the weather is no respector of chod dens! - Glasgow

chod.jpg

and this one burnt out ! near ardrossan

_57212369_fireturbine304-1.jpg

:shock: That must be some wind speed to do that, weather forcast on the radio said speeds of up to 165 mph, would risk taking anything out to drive with that amount of speed!

My understanding* it that they can burnout anyway at low speeds, Honda had one at Swindon that manage to combust itself when the lubrication system screwed up. I suspect in this case it was aided by the wind.

*(From when I did GCSE Physics I did a presentation /read out wikipedia to the class on the things)

Don't they have some sort of clutch inside which changes the pitch of the propeller blades depending on wind speeds? One in Norway went a bit wrong and exploded. It was very funny.

The Volvo doesn't like high winds. It goes wonky in crosswinds and goes very slowly in headwinds. Loves tailwinds mind.

Just over half way up Ben Nevis then. I wonder what its like at the top!

Sorry, wrong numbers in my head.

The high wind speeds being reported were on the summits of Cairn Gorm (4084 feet) and from somewhere on Ben Nevis or the Nevis Range ski area.

In that context they're not as dramatic as the media like to make out.