Bus Shite

Felly Magic

I have read this thread since it's start but can't remember if the the green double decker bus' that are currently doing school runs etc in Sheffield have been mentioned?

I know bugger all about buses but these look fairly shite, 20 years old perhaps(?) with an obvious respray in a light/bright green. I am guessing there's 3+ of them, have seen them operate around the Fulwood area. Just wondering if there is a story to go with them.

• 2 weeks later...
I think the Dennises at least were ex Stagecoach Kenya and then Magic Bus, they also did have them in HK like you say. Those sliding upper deck windows look safe for the school run.

Think all the Bright Bus examples are ex Hong Kong; the Kenyan ones were slightly shorter and were all on L or M-plates when they came to the UK.

4147802040_a6de0f5868.jpg

Judging from this picture the pusher axle on those is non-steering, that must screech in tight bends

Correct; we've got the last of the batch (M699 TDB) which noms second axle tyres at about twice the rate of steer axle tyres; luckily they're super singles like artic trailer tyres so they do actually take a bit of abuse before going. To be fair they're not all that quick (48mph flat out) and underpowered (Cummins L10-218) but ours is actually pretty good on fuel for something of it's size and you'd be amazed at how sure footed they feel - I came a cropper with our Volvo Citybus after throwing it into a roundabout at speed before remembering it wasn't the Dragon and promptly sliding off the cab seat.

They are, oddly, just as quick with 93 bodies on board as they are empty. Pity Ensign are struggling to sell them though I believe there are now five local to me, including ours.

• 1 month later...

Re the Queensferry coach firm - this was Hollis Coaches. The bus which they owned was a 1950 Leyland Tiger, registration number GDM 494 with Harrington's coachwork in scarlet and cream (and the Harrington#s dorsal fin) The coach was one of a pair (the other was GDM 493) bought new by Wakley's of Northop in 1950. GDM 494 was sold to West's (Reliance) of Kelsall and then to Tom Hollis. It has recently been renovated and is owned by a private collector. I worked for Wakley's in the early 1960s as a part time pump attendant.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16797800@N07/7806500814/

The RM bus actually has a very interesting development story.

Please don't get me started on pissing Routemasters...

The Paramount is tops though, I've never actually heard a Bedford one being driven though so cant compare the sound to the lovely Gardner-Engined Tigers that used to be on the 38 from Edinburgh. Would like to hear one though!

Bedford was a marque I never took to; most of these late model YNTs and YNV Venturers (the only Bedford PSV with an actual model name, IIRC) were 5.9l or 8.3l Cummins powered though Bedford's own engine was available. I only remember Bedfords as being underpowered and having wooly steering. Much preferred Ford R-series.

I'm no fan of Routemasters, they attract a weird following of people who believe they've lasted 50 years in service, whilst whinging that other buses havent lasted as long neglecting to remember that London Transport then London Buses and then TfL spent millions (if not billions!) keeping them going.

However on the flip side I've driven a few, and they were lightyears ahead of their rivals of the era. When most deckers had manual crash gear boxes and unassisted steering, the RM had PAS and a clever auto/semi auto gearbox arrangement. Excellent to drive with good brakes and steering and decent heating, but long in the tooth now.

Climbing out of Pilton festival with a Scania powered Rodney in 1st gear is something you don't forget easily!

Bedfords were ultra durable and normally totally reliable but Bedford didn't move with the times in the 1970s when rivals from abroad were bringing in bigger turbo engines and air suspension, Bedford was still using adapted trucks with ploddy naturally asperated engines. By the time the Ventura Turbo was introduced in the 1980's Bedford were too far behind and loyal customers had left for Volvo, Scania and even Leyland whose Tiger was antiquated but at least air suspended and with more than 200bhp.

I recall a coach trip from Bedfordshire to Cologne, the DAF we were supposed to use had been damaged in an accident and a YNV Turbo was used instead. It was a long and slow journey but done without incident and you know that of a Bedford - they'll plod on for ever when other things have given up the ghost.

The RM bus actually has a very interesting development story.

Please don't get me started on pissing Routemasters...

The Paramount is tops though, I've never actually heard a Bedford one being driven though so cant compare the sound to the lovely Gardner-Engined Tigers that used to be on the 38 from Edinburgh. Would like to hear one though!

Bedford was a marque I never took to; most of these late model YNTs and YNV Venturers (the only Bedford PSV with an actual model name, IIRC) were 5.9l or 8.3l Cummins powered though Bedford's own engine was available. I only remember Bedfords as being underpowered and having wooly steering. Much preferred Ford R-series.

I'm no fan of Routemasters, they attract a weird following of people who believe they've lasted 50 years in service, whilst whinging that other buses havent lasted as long neglecting to remember that London Transport then London Buses and then TfL spent millions (if not billions!) keeping them going.

However on the flip side I've driven a few, and they were lightyears ahead of their rivals of the era. When most deckers had manual crash gear boxes and unassisted steering, the RM had PAS and a clever auto/semi auto gearbox arrangement. Excellent to drive with good brakes and steering and decent heating, but long in the tooth now.

Climbing out of Pilton festival with a Scania powered Rodney in 1st gear is something you don't forget easily!

Bedfords were ultra durable and normally totally reliable but Bedford didn't move with the times in the 1970s when rivals from abroad were bringing in bigger turbo engines and air suspension, Bedford was still using adapted trucks with ploddy naturally asperated engines. By the time the Ventura Turbo was introduced in the 1980's Bedford were too far behind and loyal customers had left for Volvo, Scania and even Leyland whose Tiger was antiquated but at least air suspended and with more than 200bhp.

I recall a coach trip from Bedfordshire to Cologne, the DAF we were supposed to use had been damaged in an accident and a YNV Turbo was used instead. It was a long and slow journey but done without incident and you know that of a Bedford - they'll plod on for ever when other things have given up the ghost.

On a different note, does anyone have any pictures of Perthshire and Aberdeenshire berry buses?

Years ago in about 1999 there was a great website called Moray Transport Group concerned mainly with buses in the North East of Scotland.

There was a great picture of 2 Central Scottish Y Type Leopards, KGM675F AND OGM277H on a Laurencekirk Farm. The site owner kindly emailed me a copy of the pic of T75 which I had on my wall! I have lost it now and would love to have it back, but the website is long long gone.

Can only find 2 pics of it online, but does anyone know what became of the website and its contents?

I love the Alexander ones that Central Scottish used to have and also the Mainline ones. The latter ones were weird as they still had an 'inney bit' at the back, whereas others had a flush pane of glass like an Olympian or MB.

I have a large Dennis Dominator badge upstairs that I bought at a bus show about 10 years ago. Still buggered if I know why!

Our Dennis Dragon proudly carries one of those big metal Dominator badges - triaxle Dominators were badged Dragon or Condor but the chassis plates state Dennis Dominator 6x2 Dragon (or Condor) and Dragon badges aren't too common. Mainline's Dominators were mostly Rolls Royce powered but Central took a mix of RR and Gardner. From memory the relared Domino was Perkins powered.

They all had weak angle drives and were fearsome in the wet...

Isn't that Atlantean a Fleetline? Tremendous anyway. Bet it corners well if all the weight is still there in the chassis.

Yes it's a Fleetline, and converted from double-decker 5956. Cornering, I don't know as I haven't been on it yet, but I would think that terminal oversteer would always be imminent with all that weight of engine at the rear. :shock:

I prefer the original ones though, which were built as single-deckers from new; the Marshall bodywork suited them quite well.

vbon474c.jpg

(I'll get my anorak :) )

What's interesting about the Wumpty Fleetline is that it wasn't a low bridge victim. They intended to build a fleet of them when they had too many deckers and not enough midibuses until they realised it was cheaper to just buy new Dennis Darts instead.

Elsewhere in the Midlands I remember Guide Friday building this beast from a deroofed VR. It ran on the Cotswold Tour and must have made a GR1 sightseeing bus.

4256700278_8f052f4d4c_z.jpg

Carters CBV9S Capel St Mary 2001 by BristolRE2007, on Flickr

And even more bizarrely this rear-entrance double-decker was being converted into a front-entrance open-top single-decker until City Sightseeing bought out Guide Friday and put a stop to such nonsense.

5564730191_793b1c4f82_z.jpg

Extraordinary conversion by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

I know bugger all about buses. I remember seeing John Noakes on Blue Peter on the London Transport skidpan and an episode from On The Buses (one of the films I think) where Stan did the skidpan. I had to watch from behind my fingers. Given that they are so tall, have any double deckers ever toppled over? And I suppose they must oversteer on occasions?

Hold on tight please!

$(KGrHqRHJEUFBgLECLkJBQcrRIdQT!~~60_3.JPG

'KMA' reg suggestes somewhere around Chester, Cheshire. Possibly an early Crosville?

Originally supplied to Bullock's of Cheadle, who are still in business, hence the Cheshire registration. It spent many years in store with Martin Perry in Bromyard, but seems to have now moved to Wales?

$(KGrHqRHJEUFBgLECLkJBQcrRIdQT!~~60_3.JPG

'KMA' reg suggestes somewhere around Chester, Cheshire. Possibly an early Crosville?

Originally supplied to Bullock's of Cheadle, who are still in business, hence the Cheshire registration. It spent many years in store with Martin Perry in Bromyard, but seems to have now moved to Wales?

I know bugger all about buses. I remember seeing John Noakes on Blue Peter on the London Transport skidpan and an episode from On The Buses (one of the films I think) where Stan did the skidpan. I had to watch from behind my fingers. Given that they are so tall, have any double deckers ever toppled over? And I suppose they must oversteer on occasions?

Hold on tight please!

Deckers *should* be able to tilt to 35 degrees with a load on before falling over IIRC; they're generally quite stable though there have been a few notable instances (a National Express Neoplan Skyliner a few years ago was quite a high profile case) when they can and do fall over, largely due to the driver overcooking it. Our triaxle Dennis Dragon is very, very stable to the point you forget you're driving a decker, while our Volvo Citybus wallows about like buggery and can be unsettling when you drive it at first until you get the hang of it.

Oversteer is pretty rare largely due to the weight and it's distribution, along with relatively low power - I can confirm that Mercedes Varios are dirty, dirty bastards in the wet for going sideways, Optare Solos understeer like you wouldn't believe, and NOTHING on earth handles like a tiny 8.8m Dennis Dart SLF. Or an 8.5m step entrance version.

Have an unsettling video with ye olde worlde Irishmen hurling a Leyland Titan about like fuckwits and some truely impressive mechanical damage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLUqAUu9y2Y&list=UUVKbaYEQSoiMi6DAEfz9v-A&index=17&feature=plcp

Hold on tight please!

Deckers *should* be able to tilt to 35 degrees with a load on before falling over IIRC; they're generally quite stable though there have been a few notable instances (a National Express Neoplan Skyliner a few years ago was quite a high profile case) when they can and do fall over, largely due to the driver overcooking it. Our triaxle Dennis Dragon is very, very stable to the point you forget you're driving a decker, while our Volvo Citybus wallows about like buggery and can be unsettling when you drive it at first until you get the hang of it.

Oversteer is pretty rare largely due to the weight and it's distribution, along with relatively low power - I can confirm that Mercedes Varios are dirty, dirty bastards in the wet for going sideways, Optare Solos understeer like you wouldn't believe, and NOTHING on earth handles like a tiny 8.8m Dennis Dart SLF. Or an 8.5m step entrance version.

Have an unsettling video with ye olde worlde Irishmen hurling a Leyland Titan about like fuckwits and some truely impressive mechanical damage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLUqAUu9y2Y&list=UUVKbaYEQSoiMi6DAEfz9v-A&index=17&feature=plcp