Bus Shite

Felly Magic

9 hours ago, quicksilver said:

I'll never forgive First for what they did in Northampton. The town had a proud and profitable municipal bus company, that the council decided to sell to fund the new Sixfields football stadium. After a few years, First put Northampton under the management of Leicester, where it was always the poor relation mostly running other fleets' cast-offs, and on the rare occasions Northampton did get something decent Leicester would quickly take it for themselves. It was run down to a shadow of its former self, then First made a half-hearted attempt to sell what little was left for far too much money, especially as they'd replaced the whole fleet with crappy old buses overdue for scrap that no buyer wanted. Nobody bought it, so First just unceremoniously shut down an operation with over a century of heritage that had been making a healthy profit when they bought it less than 20 years earlier.

Well that all sounds very familiar. Going through my old stuff I found this 1987 route map, the year Solent Blue Line started. You'll have to forgive me but I used it to mark all the roads I have travelled by Routemaster in the city. It started with just the routes but then there was the odd garage run and there was quite an enthusiastic management at the time so we went on a few rallies and day trips with them. But once we bought our own RM the whole thing seemed a bit pointless as we could go wherever we wanted. And yet still I kept it updated. But you can make out the red roads under the black marker pen and as you can see I don't think anywhere in the city was more than five minutes walk from a bus stop. 

IMG_20230112_194318.thumb.jpg.ac7ae26f1b00b24f3df4b3ad96bdf057.jpg

With a numerical list of routes. 

IMG_20230112_194042.thumb.jpg.e2449542d29823354e6697c1fe3e4c63.jpg

And then I found this route map from 2009 online and even then we still had a pretty comprehensive service. And this was twelve years in to First Bus ownership. 

37577462_Firstmap2009Sep.thumb.JPG.2405deca22d79f027bb59db43465e65f.JPG

All the numbers have changed and different bits are joined together but most of the roads are still there. 

But this is what we had when they withdrew on Saturday. 

Screenshot_20230112_193629_com.google.android_apps.docs_edit_2490515686009032.thumb.jpg.1fc253657f5a39950c0aa1983be6c57e.jpg

And weirdly the route 8 to the hospital was only added a few weeks before they announced they were pulling out but that just replicates the 3 anyway. It increased the frequency between the city and the hospital but didn't add any new roads. Also that X4 and X5 heading east out of the city are actually run by First Portsmouth and are nothing to do with the Southampton operations. 

And for context if we go back to the proper map rather than a schematic I've coloured in the areas that no longer had a service. 

IMG_20230114_214642.thumb.jpg.5d6a0f72f3a800175ea1e23e39bdae7c.jpg

I'm not really familiar with the services the other side of the river but as you can see whole swathes on my side lost their services. 

If you just look at Lordshill on the 1987 map there were so many different routes there. It is a natural place for a bus terminus as it has a long bus layby either side with a large roundabout at each end so buses could turn whichever way they arrived from and buses went off in all directions. 

IMG_20230105_165858.thumb.jpg.6d4de66923e87797b127e8ca15c5e86f.jpg

For the last few years they've run a single route to here, the 3, so it was fairly obvious they had lost interest. 

All the buses on the new Bluestar 19 looked like this today. A quick google says it was new to London Central but most recently with Go North East at Gateshead. 

IMG_20230220_092339.thumb.jpg.cdeb02e3ec1c53c91a15d21ed97c0458.jpg

1 hour ago, Remspoor said:

Mayflower was originally a shipping company formed in the early 1600's 😁

or this lot.

https://twitter.com/travelmayflower

Yeah, I had a quick Google and everything seems to lead back to this one twitter account but if you scroll down enough more and more of the posts seem to feature Wheelers Travel orange and white stuff so I think they are connected. 

Those route maps paint a very sad picture - it was the same in Northampton, I think they were down to three or four routes when they packed up. One thing that summed up FIrst's attitude nicely was that the council had started selling the 1977/78 batch of Bristol VRs when they were just over ten years old, but First stopped withdrawals and kept the remaining ones for another whole decade while newer buses were sent away. A bizarre consequence was that there were independents running ex-council VRs on school work in the town at the same time as members of the same batch were still in regular stage service with First.

the issue with buses (and public transport more widely in britain i think) is that we seem to think it MUST make a profit- why not make them not for profit enterprises- any profit they do make can be reinvested into the service, but the main priority should be providing a good service for people to reduce car usage, imo. we used to have 2 buses an hour between horsham and brighton, a bus to worthing and i think (i might be wrong) that the compass burgess hill- horsham bus also used to be twice hourly. i know in the sticks it might not be profitable, but make the service semi regular and a decent price and people will use it! (i hope that isn't too political!)

8 minutes ago, crad said:

the issue with buses (and public transport more widely in britain i think) is that we seem to think it MUST make a profit- why not make them not for profit enterprises- any profit they do make can be reinvested into the service, but the main priority should be providing a good service for people to reduce car usage, imo. we used to have 2 buses an hour between horsham and brighton, a bus to worthing and i think (i might be wrong) that the compass burgess hill- horsham bus also used to be twice hourly. i know in the sticks it might not be profitable, but make the service semi regular and a decent price and people will use it! (i hope that isn't too political!)

Why would anyone operate a business not to make a profit? Most bus services are operated by private companies, if they tried to just cover costs they would not last long. I suppose you could try to estimate one off failures/repairs over and above general running/service costs and build that in, but then I suppose end of life replacement would have to be built in as well. 

But why would anyone run a business just to turn over money?

20 minutes ago, anonymous user said:

Why would anyone operate a business not to make a profit? Most bus services are operated by private companies, if they tried to just cover costs they would not last long. I suppose you could try to estimate one off failures/repairs over and above general running/service costs and build that in, but then I suppose end of life replacement would have to be built in as well. 

i'd have it run on some sort of local level with public money- plenty of people here (admiteddly that's just in the village) would be willing I think. it's all a bit pie in the sky i suppose, I just think there must be a better way- otherwise the only future i can see for mass transit is in big cities of the london/brum ilk.

South Yorkshire PTE ran the buses at a loss, paid for by the council taxes. You can argue all you want, but they were full and frequent, charging car drivers an arm and a leg to park in the city centre also helped. Privatisation is all about profit, they don't care a fuck about social needs or pollution / traffic reduction. First are just as useless in Sheffield.

52 minutes ago, anonymous user said:

I think the point being made is that it should be a public service, not a business. Does anybody believe bus services have improved with privatisation? There might be some areas on busy corridors where it has but it will be at the expense of other areas. 

It used to be that the busy services payed to keep the less busy services running. Cross subsidisation. But that tends not to happen any more. The network maps I posted yesterday are a perfect example of this. The first one was from 1987, six months after deregulation and five months before the first competition moved in. Half of those routes were not profitable but they were still well used. 

I remember Kelvin Scottish having 'difficulties' supplying our school buses after deregulation, and some scruffy ned called Brian Soutar swooping in with his cape fluttering to save the day. The novelty of getting RMs and Lodekkas to school soon wore off, and ultimately we moved house to be closer to the school, rather than put up with any more of it.

Deregulation was a stupid idea, badly executed. The only possible outcome of the resulting free for all was that chancers like Soutar, who worked out quickly how to play the game, were able to build monopolies over time. The 'free market' - in itself a dreadful and deliberately misleading term - is always a race to the bottom, and actual utility is usually an early casualty. 

28 minutes ago, CreepingJesus said:

The novelty of getting RMs and Lodekkas to school soon wore off, 

I agree with everything in your post except this bit but I'll admit I may not have been a normal child. Our middle school didn't have its own playing fields so once a week we'd get carted off to somebody else's in a Southampton Corporation Regent V. That never got boring. Certainly more fun than what we had to do once we got there. But again that might just be me. 

34 minutes ago, Yoss said:

I agree with everything in your post except this bit but I'll admit I may not have been a normal child. Our middle school didn't have its own playing fields so once a week we'd get carted off to somebody else's in a Southampton Corporation Regent V. That never got boring. Certainly more fun than what we had to do once we got there. But again that might just be me. 

I didn't mind them as such, and Lodekkas were a feature of my childhood, so that didn't bother me: but the ones sent out to transport us were the worst examples of their types; in poor condition, unreliable and so disliked by the drivers that they took it out on us. Just a miserable experience.

I remember Strathclyde council's buses that used to take us to the pool when I was in primary. Bedford or Leyland based tin boxes, that I kinda hope somebody's preserved so future generations can experience that grimness! Ripped vinyl seats on a cold winter's day, when you haven't had time to dry off properly, is certainly 'character building'!

11 minutes ago, CreepingJesus said:

I didn't mind them as such, and Lodekkas were a feature of my childhood, so that didn't bother me: but the ones sent out to transport us were the worst examples of their types; in poor condition, unreliable and so disliked by the drivers that they took it out on us. Just a miserable experience.

I remember Strathclyde council's buses that used to take us to the pool when I was in primary. Bedford or Leyland based tin boxes, that I kinda hope somebody's preserved so future generations can experience that grimness! Ripped vinyl seats on a cold winter's day, when you haven't had time to dry off properly, is certainly 'character building'!

You’ll find many such examples in the Bridgeton Bus Garage owned by the GVVT. 

https://gvvt.org/

Their open days are fantastic if you haven’t already been. A sand beige Marina sometimes makes an appearance as well as a bonus. 

23 hours ago, artdjones said:

This company have been profitable for over 100 years. And Lincolnshire is not the busiest part of the UK.wpa9b0a483_05_06.jpg.1c00eea4701c0b1ded60325cc9511c2b.jpg

Delaine are the total antithesis of First. A small family business with no interest in empire-building, concentrating on doing the same thing they've done for decades and doing it extremely well. No gimmicks, just a consistent, reliable service that has earned them a formidable reputation and a loyal customer base, and a livery that has never changed so they're instantly recognisable. They're often held up as a shining example of bus operation done right.

I've been playing with Bluestars online bus tracker. It is minutes of endless fun. I'm sure plenty of other companies have real time bus trackers but I'm not sure they go in to quite this amount of detail. 

So this is all the bus stops in the Bluestar area. 

Screenshot_20230222_140415_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.dd359b56415e8614638b3db9457c79db.jpg

Then you zoom in to see the individual bus stops. 

Screenshot_20230222_140439_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.6a48e18290f63880ba400b73a397b74c.jpg

And click on a bus stop. From where it shows various options. So you go to the bottom of the page and click on track buses. 

Screenshot_20230222_140453_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.32435b7d755c79ed67419db849098504.jpg

And it shows you where all buses serving that stop actually are in real time. 

Screenshot_20230222_140532_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.2e51db2a2d9d00301c57125cbf2e7630.jpg

So far that's fairly standard I know but bear with me. 

Click on one of the buses and it tells you which one it is. Both fleet number and registration. 

Screenshot_20230222_140549_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.348a270a58b6f25116112225c80ee334.jpg

But it also tells you if it's single or double deck, for those of you who hadn't figured it out from the fleet number. 

Screenshot_20230222_141025_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.2ac7c851ab36e58941de745862f525ef.jpg

But this is where it gets good*. As mentioned earlier Bluestar started six new routes to replace the ones withdrawn by First Bus, necessitating some hastily draughted in buses from other parts of the Go Ahead empire. So I wondered if these temporary buses (so they say, though I've no idea how long temporary means) are on the system so I looked up a 19. Not only are they on the system, still with Go North East fleet numbers, it even tells you it's a different colour! 

Screenshot_20230222_140616_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.6bd2f3b40e56cfcc1deccd1b09fc0dbe.jpg

Now that is attention to detail. 

I haven't been in to town since these started so these Go North East Wright Geminis are the only things I've seen. So I use this tool to see what else is out there. 

Hmm, two tone green. 

Screenshot_20230222_150809_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.f1d47b56136ba3e7c67b52d3e9b7ef1d.jpg

A quick Google shows this. 

51137140186_f470649e6f_b.thumb.jpg.218d4705314e75c9620037ff69a71f59.jpg

Which actually started life here in Southampton with Unilink before moving to the Island so it's gone full circle. 

52199177127_7f7eb9db29_b.thumb.jpg.07e4bde65e6904aa0b3a7991da919e97.jpg

Then I found this. This one even has a name but that can't be a colour scheme can it? 

Screenshot_20230222_140956_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.a8d22cc258674b73822b3660f37a77f7.jpg

Oh dear, it really is. These come from Swindon. 

41350978462_36fd9903c1_b.thumb.jpg.dcbdf4cae9dc101d54d6e10b0a1c38bf.jpg

Like I say, minutes of fun. 

On 2/22/2023 at 9:00 PM, quicksilver said:

Delaine are the total antithesis of First. A small family business with no interest in empire-building, concentrating on doing the same thing they've done for decades and doing it extremely well. No gimmicks, just a consistent, reliable service that has earned them a formidable reputation and a loyal customer base, and a livery that has never changed so they're instantly recognisable. They're often held up as a shining example of bus operation done right.

Reminds me of the late lamented John Fishwick & Sons based out of Leyland. They lasted over 100 years. Now sadly gone.

Emphasis on 'allegedly'. The chaos with Stagecoach here has got so bad that they're making up time by shortening routes on the hoof and substituting buses when they've got any spare(ish). I don't even bother with the tracker now, after a bus randomly vanished into thin air back in December: I don't know where it did go - maybe it got abducted by aliens? - but it certainly didn't turn up here, so I abandoned my plans and went home; the other day a bus materialised in the bus station 45mins late and refused to take on passengers for the bit it was cutting out, and fucked off again. Was it the same bus? Maybe. Cheers for leaving me standing about like a spare thumb, twice. 

They've been early too, which is doubly annoying. The shite they're running breaks down in the stupidest ways (wheelchair ramp interlock and damaged engine cover were two recent ones) and is generally falling apart.

All I know is that the one thing I can rely on, is that I can't rely on it. Cheers Stagecoach, yer doing a grand job.

17 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

An old bus has met its end and was dumped as was common in Norway in the past. The ferry stopped and the bus was pushed off and went to the bottom and the ferry continued its journey.

1296264780_Screenshot2023-02-2717_48_20.thumb.png.5d0c15659b23cf1a828e1ebd1df76481.png

And if a ferry was not available one had to improvise.

428189931_Screenshot2023-02-2717_48_34.thumb.png.fabfc09b27f9a16f311310453151213f.png

Fucking hell! Environmentally conscious* decision! 😱

I am not surprised that this was common in other places as well. Here it was also very common to leave rubbish and vehicles on the ice in the winter, then they disappeared in the spring. A company in the Trondheim area according to rumors dumped many vehicles in the fjord there, buses, trucks, etc. There shud be a graveyard of buses on the bottom in this  area there and this lasted until 1982 if the rumors are true.