Bus Shite

Felly Magic

It’s NAG120G the (probably) last surviving Bristol RE with this type of body. Built for the overnight Glasgow - London services. This body was designed originally for the RE and Bristol produced a 12 meter version of the RE for this order (the REMH). Originally powered by a Gardner 6LX, these weren’t the fastest things on the planet but they all intensively used clocking up some fearsome mileages. The body was eventually built on Seddon, Leyland and Volvo chassis and the REMH gained one more order, from United Automobile (with Plaxton bodies).
In all, nearly 100 M types were built (on the various chassis) with just one going outside the SBG, to Ribble, built on a Leyland Leopard.

After front line service, many ended up scrapped as they couldn’t be cascaded to bus service like their less outlandish forebears plus they were utterly humped.

11 hours ago, Inspector Morose said:

Bristol produced a 12 meter version of the RE for this order (the REMH). Originally powered by a Gardner 6LX, these weren’t the fastest things on the planet but they all intensively used clocking up some fearsome mileages

Those are the ones that came with a length of wood to wedge the throttle pedal down as they were fucking heavy and hurt your legs IIRC (I wasn't involved in anything like that, honestly).

5 hours ago, busmansholiday said:

Those are the ones that came with a length of wood to wedge the throttle pedal down as they were fucking heavy and hurt your legs IIRC (I wasn't involved in anything like that, honestly).

Used to see them on the M6/M1 all the time pre Mega bus days.

First time I've actually had the misfortune to travel on a Streetlite.

Good god they are shit.  Worst ride I have ever experienced on a bus, this one is rattling more than those Chinese ones (BYD?  Memory is failing me) they have in London.

This is almost definitely the most actively unpleasant piece of public transport I have ever travelled on.

On 5/30/2022 at 1:54 AM, OM646 said:

This presumably ex-UK bus was at my university!

IMG_20220525_131005~2.jpg

Only thing I know it's that the first reg dates from March 2003

Former LX03 EEH, new as London General's WVL116, a Volvo B7TL with Wrightbus Eclipse Gemini bodywork, now with Unipessoal LDA (Impactjungle), Castelo Da Maia, Portugal.

1 hour ago, martc said:

image.thumb.png.dae0d729fa2da0861aafe2eb3c544117.png

Sandsend station after closure of the Whitby West Cliff to Loftus line in 1958 and removal of the viaducts in 1960. What remained for passengers was the United bus service between Whitby and Middlesbrough. Is that a Wartburg estate behind?

If it is a Wartburg (and it does look like it) it is probably smoking as much as the bus but that bit is conveniently just out of shot

20 hours ago, martc said:

image.thumb.png.dae0d729fa2da0861aafe2eb3c544117.png

Sandsend station after closure of the Whitby West Cliff to Loftus line in 1958 and removal of the viaducts in 1960. What remained for passengers was the United bus service between Whitby and Middlesbrough. Is that a Wartburg estate behind?

Just further up that road was a big sign erected by United Auto (that's one of their Bristol LS's with ECW body) that said, IIRC, "Drivers must engage 1st gear NOW and keep in that gear until the next sign", or something similar. At the top of the hill was a sign telling you that you could change gear. I well remember the first time I saw that, some 44 years ago, and dropping my Duple bodied Reliance into bottom. It flew up, but I daren't risk changing up. 

That LS has just come down the hill and there was an identical sign at the top (vacuum braked buses didn't always stop!), hence the smoke, as it's been in 1st all the way down using the engine for braking. Nowadays buses have retarders and auto boxes. 

Normally on this run it's an 04 Wright (Volvo I presume) or a fairly early Solo, so this took me by complete surprise (pic from Flickr btw). On a different route that I use less often they also have a Duple too. A company with some taste!

I hadn't even noticed it was a VAL until I looked up the reg, so transfixed I was by the wiper arrangement. The triangle of doom on that must be immense.

3 hours ago, Slappy said:

Normally on this run it's an 04 Wright (Volvo I presume) or a fairly early Solo, so this took me by complete surprise (pic from Flickr btw). On a different route that I use less often they also have a Duple too. A company with some taste!

I hadn't even noticed it was a VAL until I looked up the reg, so transfixed I was by the wiper arrangement. The triangle of doom on that must be immense.

Classic case of something breaking down and "Oh **** what's available?!?" I'd guess.

Vast, vast, vast majority of school contracts these days have age limits on the vehicles allocated to them.  When Aberdeenshire Council introduced a 10 year limit on theirs it must have wiped out the best part of a dozen of the smaller operators in the area overnight.

The youngest coach we used to see on my run was around 20 years old, oldest knocking on 30.  Company did no real stage work, it was all schools & private hires.  

No surprise that first time I drove by the school following the contract change 99% of the vehicles there were Stagecoach owned.  Used to be probably 30 different operators only months before.

Classic case of something breaking down and "Oh **** what's available?!?" I'd guess.
Vast, vast, vast majority of school contracts these days have age limits on the vehicles allocated to them.  When Aberdeenshire Council introduced a 10 year limit on theirs it must have wiped out the best part of a dozen of the smaller operators in the area overnight.
The youngest coach we used to see on my run was around 20 years old, oldest knocking on 30.  Company did no real stage work, it was all schools & private hires.  
No surprise that first time I drove by the school following the contract change 99% of the vehicles there were Stagecoach owned.  Used to be probably 30 different operators only months before.
When I was at Hays of Huntly in 2004 our oldest was an old duple with Ford mechanics. It was 1977 registered and was fondly referred to as old Henry. It was a bugger to drive, there was gears in there somewhere. I was the only one who didn't moan about driving it so got it most of the time for my school run.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, Daviemck2006 said:

When I was at Hays of Huntly in 2004 our oldest was an old duple with Ford mechanics. It was 1977 registered and was fondly referred to as old Henry. It was a bugger to drive, there was gears in there somewhere. I was the only one who didn't moan about driving it so got it most of the time for my school run.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Wasn't a light blue colour was it?