Bus Shite

Felly Magic

21 minutes ago, busmansholiday said:

They all came with badges, some operators chose to have them fitted, others just stuck them in the stores. Hence why I have a Daimler badge.

ah ok. thanks. I did wonder that after I posted.  By the time I got that the Hull Atlanteans would have had at least two resprays due to livery change

8 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

15 yrs laid up. Got it going and drove it.

PUK647R, ex Midland Red North. 

Strangely enough, just watched the vid. Wish they'd have topped up the gearbox instead of reving the bollocks out of it and burning the bands out. Oh yes and why not smash it onto the low-loader by using first gear instead of running it against the flywheel and blowing the seal (I just know they weren't, okay). 

Verdict: 10/10 for youtube lols, 3/10 mechanical sympathy for the bus. (It's a Natinal - of course it'll run and drive)

Meh, ignore me. Just in a grumpy mood at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Inspector Morose said:

Strangely enough, just watched the vid. Wish they'd have topped up the gearbox instead of reving the bollocks out of it and burning the bands out. Oh yes and why not smash it onto the low-loader by using first gear instead of running it against the flywheel and blowing the seal (I just know they weren't, okay). 

Verdict: 10/10 for youtube lols, 3/10 mechanical sympathy for the bus. (It's a Natinal - of course it'll run and drive)

At least it will be saved. Any damage they might have done rescuing it, pales into insignificance given its overall condition. Plus its getting fully restored.

Another one gets to live :)

21 hours ago, Inspector Morose said:

Long term Shrewsbury Garage resident, I remember seeing it regularly, probably rode on it a fair few times too. Shrewsbury's last two PUK-R's were 637 & 652, both of which visited Early Learning Centre Bodies for later-style Greenway conversions. Not the most popular of things but I reckoned they looked smart (cue much coughing and spluttering from the National purists!), but the best National in town was ex-Crosville GMB 383T - instantly recognisable thanks to its Gardner 6HLXB burbling away.

6 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

This was a surprise, yesterday Mrs6C navigated us the backway to Llandeilo on the single track roads and this was just parked next to the road.

IMG_20220519_172302 broad.jpg

Oh thats very cool its a London Transport BEA RF! :) http://www.countrybus.org/rf/RF6.htm

(its a shame its been robbed of its number plate *grumble* )

5 hours ago, busmansholiday said:

Ex BEA, been a mobile home for a long time. Good to see it still around. Was NLP650. 

I might actually have travelled on that one in my youth, as my school used to hire coaches from the infamous Continental Pioneer of Richmond.   Most of the fleet was RTs but they had a few of those ex BEA in exactly that colour scheme.

We'll stay in Porstmouth and Southsea and have a look at the other main operator, Southdown.  They operated the longer distance services and had an agreement with the council in terms of local pickups and set downs, as well as two depots, Hilsea and Churchill Road (near the centre which was for the coaches).

So, 800 was a a 1956 Leyland PD2/12 fitted with East Lancs H59RD bodywork and here's a view of that rear end and the platform doors.

200.thumb.jpg.c78571666b4bd2ad826d5e562132aa8e.jpg

I didn't realise then, but I was to own a 'H' reg Alpine with the vinyl roof in that colour a few years later.

"We're proud to be part of of the National Bus Company,  together we can really go places" is what that advert on the front of 420, a convertible open top Northern Counties bodied Leyland Titan PD3/4 says. They were better known as "Queen Marys" and were the staple Southdown double decker of the period. It had already lost its gold fleetnames for the standard NBC font and the registration would subsequently re-appear on various Stagecoach buses in later years.

420.thumb.jpg.7e67866429015ddde549d9ed2621a553.jpg

The NBC livery didn't look as well on these, as you can see on this 1966 delivery.

285.thumb.JPG.76a818c1d9fdb7af68d805fbd501364c.JPG

The last batch of Queen Marys were delivered in 1967 and had panorama windows, here's 356.

356.thumb.jpg.0df9495f6928d447d9b8c9210b59ece0.jpg

The NBC influence started on the double deckers fairly shortly after the NBC was formed, and Southdown started to receive batches of ECW bodied VRs. Chod a plenty on this view of 525.

525.thumb.jpg.71b30bedd65990c16df5d0654f975005.jpg

This isn't in Portsmouth, it's photographed in Sheffield at the SUT depot (they were part of BET so ended up in the NBC). There were regular weekend specials from military bases around the country for service men who were given weekend leave, so finding a Southdown coach wasn't unusual, a Bristol  RESL with a bus seated body by Marshalls certainly was though.

236.thumb.jpg.7cffd2bfe8e483e02417d2527afff185.jpg

Northern Counties were a favorite of Southdown and they had these unusual Leopards as well. Nice HA van,

478.thumb.jpg.878e60d441e4144ce9a356b71062d7bd.jpg

and another (or the same) HA in this crappy winter shot of a very nice Harrington bodied Leopard.

Harrington_w.thumb.jpg.53d2c3af391081eb187f698fe6a49264.jpg

Southdown did have your more usual Plaxton bodied Leopards, here's 1210 showing its illuminated front name.

1210.thumb.jpg.2d612407a603c86c7fdb0b1c59342872.jpg

Finally their tow wagon, was like Corporations a cut down TD Titan.   I believe this is the now preserved EUF184, a TD5.  Note the Southdown on the top of the radiator.

627361293_TDtow_a.thumb.jpg.074b40ab1deaf078d0548b49aab89d13.jpg

image.png.59189f1d47b64fa8e1c8fc70b630311d.png

One of my favourite continental coaches - a Skoda 706. Stood outside the Kino International in Berlin, DDR. The film is from France, 'The Corsican Son', directed by Francois Villiers. It's about a French worker who discovers he has an illegitimate son in Corsica and following some setbacks he finally accepts him as his son. Apparently a storyline acceptable to the DDR government.