Bus Shite

Felly Magic

Almost definitely H&S. Towards the end of my spottings the drivers wore motorbike gear - gauntlets, leathers and a helmet so you could see the creeping fear of litigation. Before then the driver had a heavy coat, mittens and a scarf. Bus chassis's to Scarborough are still a regular sight but they are always on a flat back. I suppose there's a possibility that the bare chassis are supplied in a form where they can't be self propelled. The ones on the backs of lorries are accompanied by a lot of packing cases no doubt full of mechanical gubbings. In the old days I don't recall any extra luggage (the one in the picture above is without extra boxes).

And come to think of it it was probably 35 years ago when I last saw a self propelled chassis, not 20 years as I first thought....

2 hours ago, Yoss said:

That's got me wondering now when it stopped being a thing. Has health and safety kicked in or does it still happen and I just haven't seen them? But I used to see them a couple of times a year. Or have we stopped exporting chassis?  I hadn't even given it a thought until now.

Most modern chassis can’t support themselves without the bodywork these days so would have to be braced up to the hilt for it to be safe to drive from Guilford to Falkirk (or wherever). So, that bracing has to be transported back for the next chassis movement which would have to be done by lorry. Not much of a logical leap to work out it’d be much easier and cheaper just to shift the whole chassis with the lorry (two on one lorry so saving a driver as well).

As production has been consolidated so much in this country, only Alexander Dennis would require chassis to be moved far anyway. Most manufacturers build the under frame in one part of the same factory as the body, if not all at the same time.

Overseas chassis come in for bodying by truck - who these days would want to drive a bare chassis for thousands of miles with nowt but a bit of plywood for protection? Plus, there’s only Plaxton building coaches nowadays so for the few chassis coming over, lorry is so much easier and cheaper.

Edit: I very much doubt H&S is anything to do with it more than a easy excuse for companies to stop doing anything. What they really mean is that they don’t want their arses sued by the ambulance chasers but let’s just blame H&S instead because it’s ‘always’ their fault.

7 hours ago, martc said:

I don't live a million miles away from the Plaxton factory at Scarborough and you would regularly see chassis being delivered in this manner I can't remember the last time I saw this sight, perhaps 20 years ago. They are now delivered on the back of lorries.

image.png.3f269c8ac7d29c0c91eceb57eb5eeb6f.png

My Granda used to drive up lorry bodies to Greenock in a fashion like this. :)

2 hours ago, High Jetter said:

H&S I'd guess - high risk of somebody leaping on, falling through and getting wrapped round the propshaft. Or the driver falling out...

You don't see sliding front doors on vans now either.

I can only recall the Bedford CA with sliding front doors. What else had them?

3 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Yup, also campers. Really, any Sherpa. 

OK , I remember some of them now. Memory slightly biased because my Dad had a CA. However apart from a few modified examples of campers or ice cream vans that just used the front end up to the windscreen, all CAs had the sliding door, whereas most Transits for example didn’t.

When I was in the cubs the pack had a grey Bedford CA minibus with sliding doors. A very knackered CA; it would be driven, full of cubs, with both sliding doors open to keep the engine cool. It would struggle on steep hills. On one occasion they tried reversing it up a hill, full of cubs, but it ran out of puff halfway up and rolled back down. For further steep hills we all had to get out and follow it on foot whilst it struggled up empty.

No cubs, kittens or nuns were harmed.

image.png.6cdcc64903d5890e7a260acce85015dc.png

It looked like this, but our driver was a little older and could reach the pedals.

And on the general topic of sliding doors - I'll stick me neck out and say they were an option on every van* sold in the UK into at least the '70's.

*excluding car derived ones.

11 hours ago, Inspector Morose said:

Most modern chassis can’t support themselves without the bodywork these days so would have to be braced up to the hilt for it to be safe to drive from Guilford to Falkirk (or wherever)

I believe they have now ceased Dennis bus chassis production at Guildford and they are assembled fully at Falkirk. Scarborough seems to be the electric bus production centre as well as coaches, the mechanicals for these all coming from abroad. BBC (Bamford Bus Co, ak Wrights) in northen ireland generally build on Volvo chassis but they are shipped in and the indian lot at Sherburn (was Optare) are the only other UK full size bus builders and theirs are all fully integral so no chsssis.

Everything else comes fully built and finished from the rest of the planet, Europe, middle east and China.

1 hour ago, martc said:

When I was in the cubs the pack had a grey Bedford CA minibus with sliding doors. A very knackered CA; it would be driven, full of cubs, with both sliding doors open to keep the engine cool. It would struggle on steep hills. On one occasion they tried reversing it up a hill, full of cubs, but it ran out of puff halfway up and rolled back down. For further steep hills we all had to get out and follow it on foot whilst it struggled up empty.

No cubs, kittens or nuns were harmed.

image.png.6cdcc64903d5890e7a260acce85015dc.png

It looked like this, but our driver was a little older and could reach the pedals.

And on the general topic of sliding doors - I'll stick me neck out and say they were an option on every van* sold in the UK into at least the '70's.

*excluding car derived ones.

The Scouts I went to had one too. They always had the door open but my Dad would never allow it in his.

They only had 50ish bhp new, but ours coped with a family of 7 , camping gear and dog going from SE England to the North of Scotland. It struggled a bit when we got a caravan too.

On 5/5/2022 at 11:32 PM, puddlethumper said:

Post office Sherpas had em.

In the days before shared vans, i.e. two people in a Pug Partner, one driver would service about six to eight foot deliveries taking extra bags out to a pre designated bag drop. On one of my old deliveries it was at a dry cleaners. If I got there before my driver he would just push my bags out of the open sliding door on to the pavement without stopping. Used to love driving around with the doors open. 

On 5/6/2022 at 8:34 AM, willswitchengage said:

Not sure if Convoys got them too but the little pilot was poss the last factory build.

45457776874_eb4ee00057_b.jpg

That's great, we never had any anywhere near that new. My last Sherpa was Y833TDA but that had conventional doors. The last I remember us having were M or N reg. 

1374478783_download(6).jpeg.fd31410fe42883f9715178c719fbe858.jpeg

A friend of mine used to drive one of these for Initial. He borrowed it once (with permission)  and was driving along with the doors open  with me and another lad standing in the left hand footwell  with the door open. The other guy had his hand resting on the A pillar and missed finger amputation by a millisecond when we had to stop abruptly.

55 minutes ago, Yoss said:

That is bloody lovely. 

Cheers. The blue paint was in bad shape when I got it so stupidly I painted it myself with some Humbrol paint I had kicking around from my model kits, and didn't do a great job. obviously I wish I'd left it alone now!

So, back to Portsmouth and the single deckers. We'll start with these 34 seat, two door Weymann bodied Tiger Cubs from 1960 that were coming to the end of their careers.  Who said London invented dual door standee buses. 

20.thumb.jpg.0240d4d5242679bfce5902d9d76eb46b.jpg

Also two door and carrying 42 seat Weymann bodies were two batches of similar looking but mounted on Leyland's Leopard chassis, this is 147 from the second batch from 1963.  Identifying the chod should keep you happy for a few minutes.

147_z.thumb.JPG.5c9e430ae6cfd2feef8217d9465606ac.JPG

After the Leopards, CPPTD moved onto rear engined single deckers and were one of the few operators to buy Leyland's Panther Cub model (400 engine rather than the 600 in the usual Panther). Rather surprisingly, Marshall built the 42 seat two door bodywork.

160.thumb.jpg.a78196131214c760d4d3304e3ac7a234.jpg

It was an even bigger surprise when CPPTDs next batch of buses were AEC Swifts, their first non Leylands since trolleybuses IIRC. Here's 178 in the new livery.

178.thumb.jpg.436f5a9c24f2a42e507b0b0d9b23746a.jpg

They switched back to Leylands with the next order, but again caused many surprised faces when these Pennine bodied Atlanteans arrived. here's 188 (J reg) and 191 (K reg), the Panther cubs were also split over two registration years (E and F).

188_191.thumb.jpg.3bd18182874751483a4ca40df8be2f9b.jpg

And whilst mentioning CPPTD, hidden in the back of the depots were some splendid things back then.

This Crossley Condor was built 1931 with Short Brothers 48-seat double deck bodywork as No.74 and was converted to breakdown wagon in 1948 It lasted until 1972 and is happily preserved.

RV720.thumb.jpg.d98573069090b0d133bc9e11caa639ee.jpg

Also still with us (just) is this Leyland Titan TD2 RV3412. It was new in 1933 with an English Electric 50-seat double deck body and was one of two converted to Tower Wagons for maintenance of the trolleybus overheads.

Tow.thumb.jpg.94afebd5709d50a310598a240c57fcda.jpg

BK2986 is a Thornycroft J, built in 1919 for Portsmouth Corporation. It originally had a Wadham O16/18RO seater body but was rebodied in 1926 with an ex London General AEC B 1920 Dodson O16/18RO body. I believe it's at the Milestones museum in Basingstoke.

Thornycroft.thumb.jpg.9a10938e33605f7c9ed2165e36d40ca5.jpg

Also at Milestones is tram 84, which the Corporation had kept from the end of operations in 1936. It was converted from a horse car in 1903 having originally been built in 1880 for use on the North Metropolitan Tramways Co. Ltd in London before being withdrawn and being used as a railgrinder before eventual restoration. Portsmouth (like Glasgow and a couple of other tramways), used the the strange 4ft 7 3/4in gauge tramway .

1380241762_Tram84.thumb.JPG.7763bd0803f652f57f8eb7d7bb2960e5.JPG

Now at the East Anglian Transport Museum is trolleybus 313, RV938, a 1951 Burlingham bodied BUT.

235505895_Trolleybus313.thumb.jpg.0507eb257926971397155507c8651c85.jpg

On 5/9/2022 at 12:10 PM, wesacosa said:

I found my old Atlantean boot badge buried in my dad's loft for 20 odd years. I used to have it attached to my wardrobe door when I was a kid

20220509_120457.jpg

They're lovely, aren't they! Hod on to it too! They're quite expensive to buy these days. 

These are mine; the Atlantean badge is slightly* patinated... 😁

DSC_0427.JPG

very nice. 

not quite sure of the history of mine. I got it in about 1990 from someone who worked for Hull corporation buses. However I don't think Hull had ran any Atlanteans with those badges for a long time. From the time I remember the Hull buses (late 80s) the earliest Atlanteans running around were G reg and they didn't have those badges.  Guess it must have been hanging around for a while before I got it

On 5/12/2022 at 1:59 PM, wesacosa said:

very nice. 

not quite sure of the history of mine. I got it in about 1990 from someone who worked for Hull corporation buses. However I don't think Hull had ran any Atlanteans with those badges for a long time. From the time I remember the Hull buses (late 80s) the earliest Atlanteans running around were G reg and they didn't have those badges.  Guess it must have been hanging around for a while before I got it

They all came with badges, some operators chose to have them fitted, others just stuck them in the stores. Hence why I have a Daimler badge.