Bus Shite

Felly Magic

On 1/2/2022 at 8:33 PM, cms206 said:

I spend most of my working week on Scotland's Nuclear Riviera and have frequently passed the two Plaxton Supremes still lying all but derelict in the Peace Camp.

One is FIL 8678 which is a full size Supreme IV Bedford, but the other, a short wheel base example, doesn't have a visible ID from the road - I can't really go poking around the peace camp for employment reasons!

Just unearthed photos of it taken pretty recently and ran it's ID... it turns out that it's OIB 1084, making it the former GHH 256N - the very first "Panorama Supreme" built on a Bristol LHS, new to Yeowarts of Whitehaven back in 1974 after it's debut on the Plaxton stand at the 1974 Commercial Motor Show.

Screenshot_20220102-195853_Maps.jpg

FB_IMG_1641154455320.jpg

Should just ask them, they're usually fairly chatty; I've given a few lifts into Helensburgh over the years. It's not a lifestyle for those who don't like smelling of smoke.

30 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Should just ask them, they're usually fairly chatty; I've given a few lifts into Helensburgh over the years. It's not a lifestyle for those who don't like smelling of smoke.

I work in both bases, oddly enough the powers that be are not that keen that we fraternise with the peace campers!

Volvo's B5LHs have an automated manual in conjunction with the hybrid drive. As a passenger/pedestrian listening to on riding on the things, I actually really like them. Make a nice sound changing gear. I believe they use the electric motor in lieu of a harsh start on the clutch as they usually set off with the engine off, which then cuts in where second or third gear usually would. Gear changes at driving speeds feel really smooth although obviously they are quite long leading to a somewhat odd experience compared to normal bi.

They are everywhere in London and the Wright bodywork is decent quality I find. There are Volvo own-brand SDs in Slough which look nice too.

27 minutes ago, Leyland Worldmaster said:

https://www.route-one.net/vehicles/first_drive_enviro200_astronic_lite/

Anyone familiar with the Arsetronic Box of Gears? 🤔 

Fucking brainless bastard things. The clutch on the AST in the Enviromabob is good for less than 200k.

We've a solitary AST Irizar and a pair of AST VDL Futura 2s. They're all fucking brainless too. The Volvo iShift is leagues ahead.

14 minutes ago, cms206 said:

Fucking brainless bastard things. The clutch on the AST in the Enviromabob is good for less than 200k.

We've a solitary AST Irizar and a pair of AST VDL Futura 2s. They're all fucking brainless too. The Volvo iShift is leagues ahead.

Oh fuck. That will really* increase the reliability* and driving experience! 

Thankyou for answering my question! 

😎 

Like all good Volkswagens, my daily MAN threw on it's EML, ABS and ESP warnings, the latter two disabling the retarder. No retarder means my four times daily trip over the A817 becomes somewhat hairy, so it's spent today in the workshop. We are on the bones of our arses for coaches due to extra work, so today's chariot was this 2006 DAF SB4000 which was pensioned off to the school bus fleet along with my old 2008 B12B back in November.

Tomorrow I'm on local schools with a 2010 Volvo B12M 74-seater. Allegedly.

20220106_181303.jpg

4 minutes ago, Leyland Worldmaster said:

Oh fuck. That will really* increase the reliability* and driving experience! 

Thankyou for answering my question! 

😎

I've used AS Tronic 'boxes in quite a few chassis and believe it or not, the only PSV application I've ever known it to actually work - and work well - was in the Iveco EuroRider.

Ironic really because it was the only bit of that EuroRider that actually did work well.

56 minutes ago, cms206 said:

I've used AS Tronic 'boxes in quite a few chassis and believe it or not, the only PSV application I've ever known it to actually work - and work well - was in the Iveco EuroRider.

Ironic really because it was the only bit of that EuroRider that actually did work well.

I've heard EuroRiders are not particularly reliable, though a local operator to me had about 5 at one point after they were told to update their fleet, they had a R reg, 02 reg, 54 reg and 2x 55 reg. How many vehicles do Marbill's have @cms206

57 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

I've heard EuroRiders are not particularly reliable, though a local operator to me had about 5 at one point after they were told to update their fleet, they had a R reg, 02 reg, 54 reg and 2x 55 reg. How many vehicles do Marbill's have @cms206

We ran a couple of Plaxton Euroriders at my last employer, an 07 and a 12-plate. The 07 never, ever went wrong. The 12-plate had constant adblue faults. Horses for courses really, I always really liked them to drive.

Marbill... aye. Plenty! 56 if my maths is right. 6 mini/midibuses (one Transit, one Sprinter, one Mercedes Vario, three Temsa MD9), 7 double deckers (all Plaxton President-bodied Dennis Tridents), 14 70+ seat coaches (four Volvo/Plaxton, ten Bova Futura), 6 70*-seat school buses (all Volvo/Alexander service buses, two 60 seaters, four 70s), 23 coaches (two DAF/Van Hool, four DAF/Irizar, one Bova Futura, two Volvo/Plaxton, one Volvo/Van Hool, one MAN/Beulas, seven VDL Futura 2, five Temsa Safari HD) plus about eight or nine Volvos of various shapes and sizes under canabalisation.

16 hours ago, cms206 said:

We ran a couple of Plaxton Euroriders at my last employer, an 07 and a 12-plate. The 07 never, ever went wrong. The 12-plate had constant adblue faults. Horses for courses really, I always really liked them to drive.

Marbill... aye. Plenty! 56 if my maths is right. 6 mini/midibuses (one Transit, one Sprinter, one Mercedes Vario, three Temsa MD9), 7 double deckers (all Plaxton President-bodied Dennis Tridents), 14 70+ seat coaches (four Volvo/Plaxton, ten Bova Futura), 6 70*-seat school buses (all Volvo/Alexander service buses, two 60 seaters, four 70s), 23 coaches (two DAF/Van Hool, four DAF/Irizar, one Bova Futura, two Volvo/Plaxton, one Volvo/Van Hool, one MAN/Beulas, seven VDL Futura 2, five Temsa Safari HD) plus about eight or nine Volvos of various shapes and sizes under canabalisation.

Quite a few then. We have around 270 vehicles, midi buses are ADL E200s both old style and MMC, single deckers are mostly Volvo with either Wright, Plaxton or MCV bodywork or ADL E200 or E300, double deckers are all either Volvo with Wright, ADL, Plaxton or MCV bodywork or ADL Enviro 400. Coaches are nearly all Volvo with either Caetano or Plaxton bodywork, the exception is a tri axle Mercedes and a double deck Volvo B5TLS, NX coaches are Scania chassis. We have a couple of heritage vehicles too, a Willowbrook bodied AEC Regent new to EY in 1956 and a Leyland PD2 with Park Royal bodywork 

19 hours ago, cms206 said:

Knock an Irizar and the Volvo Plaxton off the coach list - one took the other out today on the A817, neither are apparantly likely to see the road again.

1 hour ago, Eyersey1234 said:

Oops I hope nobody was hurt

Bruised and battered but both walked away. Thankfully both buses were empty.

The A817 is a fast road normally but freezing conditions, heavy snow and car drivers trying to do 3 point turns on a busy A-road buggered things up a bit.

48 minutes ago, cms206 said:

The A817 is a fast road normally but freezing conditions, heavy snow and car drivers trying to do 3 point turns on a busy A-road buggered things up a bit.

Aah I see. Glad to hear nobody was seriously hurt. I don't know the A817 but will have to look it up now as I'm a nosy git 🤣

20 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

I've looked it up, going by Google maps it looks like quite a nice road to drive down 

We're over it four times a day... can do it with my eyes shut!

Dropped pin
https://maps.app.goo.gl/BBgV8Nns6FVe71aG8

This was the scene. Google doesn't really convey the road itself at that point; it's marked a 40mph bend, and it really is a 40 at the very maximum. They were A82 bound, it's a very steep drop onto a 40mph right hander. 95% of the rest of the road can be done flat out* but that bit... no.

(*50mph, officer)

7 minutes ago, cms206 said:

We're over it four times a day... can do it with my eyes shut!

Dropped pin
https://maps.app.goo.gl/BBgV8Nns6FVe71aG8

This was the scene. Google doesn't really convey the road itself at that point; it's marked a 40mph bend, and it really is a 40 at the very maximum. They were A82 bound, it's a very steep drop onto a 40mph right hander. 95% of the rest of the road can be done flat out* but that bit... no.

(*50mph, officer)

I see what you mean that is a tight bend. 

3 minutes ago, Yoss said:

I clicked on the link above and started following the road. Turns out RNAD Coulport scores 4 out of 5 from 15 reviews on Google! Who is reviewing the top secret nuclear warhead storage facility and what criteria exactly are they reviewing? 

From my experience it's not the fucking catering, anyway.

8 hours ago, cms206 said:

WTF? That road is certainly a venue for making progress, weather permitting.