Bus Shite

Felly Magic

3 hours ago, cms206 said:

For the first time since March 23rd, all of our school buses are back on the road tomorrow morning.

Went round and did the oil and water on them all this morning, fuelled them all yesterday. They're as ready as they're going to be.

I've got my 975k-mile Volvo B12B back for this school year, it's been scrubbed and disinfected.

Wish us luck.

20200810_085319.jpg

Small world...P865GND.  If memory serves, Volvo B10M-55, Alaxender PS and ex-Stagecoach Bluebird.

Spent a good few hours on it on the 307 when I commuted into Aberdeen by bus - which means no later than 2006.  Makes me happy to know she's still on the go!

14 hours ago, cms206 said:

For the first time since March 23rd, all of our school buses are back on the road tomorrow morning.

Went round and did the oil and water on them all this morning, fuelled them all yesterday. They're as ready as they're going to be.

I've got my 975k-mile Volvo B12B back for this school year, it's been scrubbed and disinfected.

Wish us luck.

20200810_085319.jpg

Chodspeed with it. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2016 at 10:22 PM, Inspector Morose said:

That last photo is of the first production Daimler Fleetline. New to Blue Bus and passed to Derby Corporation in1976, the same year it, along with many other fascinating buses were lost (Cummins V6 engined Fleetline anyone?)

I worked as a driver for Tailby and George aka Blue Bus Services back in the late 1960's. Prototype Fleetline 7000HP  had a Cummins V6 engine which spent more time in the workshop than on the road as did the Daimler Roadliner with the same engine. 324 pictured above was the fastest of the Fleetlines and was a pleasure to drive; it spent its life on the Derby Etwall Burton run whereas 7000HP was left on the more leisurley Derby Repton Burton route. I was only there for a couple of years and remember being deeply upset when I heard about the fire at Willington depot. Lovely company to work for and lovely passengers on the 2 stage carriage routes. Sadly I have no photographs to submit.

On 2/10/2019 at 8:36 PM, Eyersey1234 said:

Nice to see TYD 911W still exists. Other ex Safeway of South Petherton vehicles that I know still exist are MYB 33, a Bedford OB, ASV 900 (ex ETP 184) a Dennis Lancet and TYC 250G, an AEC Reliance new to H&C of South Petherton.

HUM is now in use again i think

So now the West Midlands hums and whines to the sound of electric buses once again after a gap of 50 years. This time there are no wires in the air and the electricity is safely* stored on-board.
There are running on one route (the No. 6 ) in Birmingham and there are now some in Coventry on a route somewhere, apparently.

IMG_5910.jpg

IMG_5897.jpg

While trying to avoid this human malware, I have been going through my print collection. Low and behold this fine specimen I photographed around 1991 or so when a band of us were scurrying around trying to photograph the last surviving "Jumbo" Fleetlines of WMPTE.
This one was with the Wickford Majorettes as their transport to events in the locale. It went on to be preserved and is now owned by some drummer, apparently.

3913rear.jpg

3913front.jpg

18 minutes ago, Inspector Morose said:

So now the West Midlands hums and whines to the sound of electric buses once again after a gap of 50 years. This time there are no wires in the air and the electricity is safely* stored on-board.
There are running on one route (the No. 6 ) in Birmingham and there are now some in Coventry on a route somewhere, apparently.

IMG_5910.jpg

IMG_5897.jpg

*anorak mode activated*

the electrickery bus in Cov is route 9

E007 on the no6 route is named "Moneypenny" to show nxwm have a sense of humour!

*anorak mode deactivated*

I had to look-up the electric bus - it's a BYD ADL Enviro400EV. The batteries and motive power are Chinese, the body and interior fittings are British. This picture on the ADL website is intriguing. It's obviously in a London livery, but it was registered with an East Yorkshire number (YX) and the background looks very much like Scarborough, which begs the question - are they made at Plaxton's works?

byd-adl-enviro400ev-4.jpg?height=850&mod

On 9/1/2020 at 7:32 PM, martc said:

I had to look-up the electric bus - it's a BYD ADL Enviro400EV. The batteries and motive power are Chinese, the body and interior fittings are British. This picture on the ADL website is intriguing. It's obviously in a London livery, but it was registered with an East Yorkshire number (YX) and the background looks very much like Scarborough, which begs the question - are they made at Plaxton's works?

byd-adl-enviro400ev-4.jpg?height=850&mod

I believe some of them are made at Scarborough. A lot of buses get factory registered these days, it's something to do with the registration process being easier for the manufacturers to do than the operator. 

As 83C says, these are Alexander Belfast Q-type bodied B10Ms. We imported probably two thirds of this batch of fifty but we only have a handful now; DAZ 1503 and DAZ 1522 under canabalisation, and DAZ 1515/16/31/33/42/47 in service.

The Timeline ones were all Mk3s from memory, ours are 285bhp Mk4s with 5-speed autos so they go quite well for what is effectively a service bus.

2 hours ago, Eyersey1234 said:

I thought it looked like an Alexander body but wasn't sure if it was a Tiger chassis or B10M

They bodied both - pre-1990 most were Tigers (some using Volvo THD10x-series engines) afterwards they were B10Ms. @cms206 is spot on with the Timeline examples being Mk3 B10Ms, although they gave away 30 or so bhp to the Mk4s they still shifted well. 

49724819807_053d8c8999_b.jpg

This was my favourite - it had a properly beefy engine and was utterly reliable - not once did it fail while I was there, despite repeated thrashings on the limited-stop Shrewsbury-Telford X5 service (timed 29mins each way, a minute to unload and reload, then go again, mostly being thrashed along a dual carriageway) and countryside jaunts to Welshpool. 

Arriva Midlands North tried putting these Scania L113s on the X5:

Arriva Midlands North R428TJW

Nice machines, good hill climbers and used a lot on a longish route to Market Drayton and Hanley.

They went back to B10Ms on the X5 after the 3rd Scania in two weeks popped a head gasket, because they couldn’t stand being driven flat out at 52-55mph whereas the B10Ms were cruising at 62-65.

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, willswitchengage said:

Who is paying for buses to be run right now? The railways have been re-nationalised in all but name. Are the bus companies getting extra subsidies or just haemorrhaging money?

The government has been subsidising the industry since March. Immediately after lockdown our passenger numbers fell overnight to less than 10% of normal levels, I believe they are now at about 50%. If they hadn't subsidised them the industry would probably have ran out of money by now to be honest