Bus Shite

Felly Magic

I read the whole thing. First thought was 'but they'll be too wide' but still thinking they might be usable on certain routes with open roads. Was probably two thirds of the way through when I started having proper doubts but the last paragraph sealed it for me...

IMG_20200422_073746.jpg.503029508546530f2fd86884cf84bebd.jpg

...'fools' and project manager April Leg Pull. 

15 hours ago, petermchugh79 said:

Garage during lockdown half the fleet is parked, only new buses still under warranty on the road, barely any passengers

I was wondering how the bus companies would choose what to drive. Reading has been using all its CNG things and its newer double deckers on old single deck routes.

I was also fooled by the roadpacer but sounds a hilarious idea - I assume a class 142 is slightly wider than 2.55 metres so it wouldn't actually work?

When this happened locally, the magistrates stripped the Stagecoach driver of his bus and car licence for something like two years and had he not had a good solicitor he'd have gone down as well.

Happened in York recently as well.

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/18217115.bus-hits-bridge-york-city-centre/

Been on that route a fair few times (on a single deck).

Our Scottish bus enthusiast may be familiar with this fine fellow:

45BA65DA-E22A-4B9B-86CB-9BAE3E20A52A.thumb.jpeg.bfa32a043d638653598c5ab9a220dafa.jpeg

It emigrated to Australia a few years ago, quite locally to me in fact, but it recently appeared on eBay with a few other busses from a private collection.

It has now reappeared as a static wine tasting venue. Sigh.

DED43826-229B-4132-851F-8491989D798B.thumb.jpeg.050d8e666578ca24ee7d5b72458d69aa.jpeg

42 minutes ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

Our Scottish bus enthusiast may be familiar with this fine fellow:

It emigrated to Australia a few years ago, quite locally to me in fact, but it recently appeared on eBay with a few other busses from a private collection.

It has now reappeared as a static wine tasting venue. Sigh.

Always a shame when that happens...Especially odd though when someone has gone to the no doubt substantial expense of shipping it the entire way around the globe.  Surely it would have made more sense to source something locally...

Initially had a moment of "Oh you better not have done that to one I've driven and enjoyed on several occasions..." but on closer inspection revealed it's not.  Very close though!

This is the bus I was actually thinking of.

URS318X.thumb.JPG.c6c4bae70813e20b82a7024940d749c2.JPG

URS318X-2.thumb.JPG.d15d403fd6d4b430c9c17c1f6b63e1ac.JPG

Which I've been lucky enough to have been able to shuttle between Alford and First's depot in Aberdeen on a few occasions.  I can vouch for the fact that an old open-top Atlantean with L plates in the window *really* confuses drivers.

Sorry I don't seem to have any better photos than from that very dreary damp morning when we dropped her off at Alford.

Had to laugh at my accompanying driver the first time we went out though, when I sat down in the driver's seat I was told "I was about to try to tell you how to handle a semi-auto gearbox, but you probably know more about this thing than I do!" 

She's got a good few miles on the engine, she's a bit smokey and idles about as smoothly as a sack of spanners in a tumble drier, but actually drives nicely enough.  As with most of these, she could do with an extra gear though as she hits the rev limiter at 45mph.

My favourite of their fleet though by a long shot though is this one.

SDC17446.thumb.JPG.e4668cd3c125dc5882a4f8a651e68ade.JPG

SDC19109A.thumb.JPG.1358a6fb3bb42be63c1e0c6f1f29c63e.JPG

Not a bus you really want to be a passenger on for any length of time, but she's a lovely thing to drive.  Unsurprisingly compared to many buses over here, substantially over-engined and you hit the 55mph limiter like a brick wall.  Given the gearing and available grunt I don't doubt for a minute that if you pulled the limiter off that she could achieve substantially illegal velocities.

Her future was looking very uncertain for a long, long time (pretty much ever since new to be honest) as the unusual specification made it an awkward for to most contract work, and difficulties sourcing parts because of its rarity on these shores resulting in her literally spending years buried at the back of the depot.  I was very glad to hear that arrangements had been made for preservation though, being such an unusual bus in the UK (especially in actual RHD spec rather than just a random imported US one which I know of a couple of) and has so little wear and tear on because of having been used so little.  When talk of scrapping was going around I did have to restrain myself quite strongly to prevent me doing something that I knew full well I'd ultimately regret!

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

Always a shame when that happens...Especially odd though when someone has gone to the no doubt substantial expense of shipping it the entire way around the globe.  Surely it would have made more sense to source something locally...

It’s particularly sad that it was a running, roadworthy bus beforehand, in the hands of a collector who was preserving and using it as it was intended to be. Now it will just sit and deteriorate, just so some hoity-toity people can take a “look at me” picture for Instagram.

It also strikes me that an open top double decker would be a terrible choice for a static venue, especially when you slap a polytunnel on top.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a Bedford J2 with a Plaxton Embassy IV body, nicknamed the Plaxton Peanut. That one was new to a hospital in Ely and is unusual in having a wheelchair lift in the main doorway. I used to see it a fair bit when owned by Eric Flack but he sold it a few years ago.

5929319679_5a376d3db2_c.jpg

Tower Hospital MVE 400H by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

4 hours ago, quicksilver said:

Thought they would be using those in place of smaller buses. Easier to social distance on a bigger bus.

Most single door buses are out of service at the moment. Most Dublin Bus services are operating with Dual-door buses. 

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe it was pedestrian safety, the big bumper would knock the person up as opposed to under the front. Remember seeing one in Mablethorpe a few years ago I had no idea that Notts had their own spec. It was with another operator doing the route between Skegvegas and the Haven at Mablethorpe.