Bus Shite

Felly Magic

A bit of a mystery to be solved! Driving home from work yesterday, an old coach went the other way on a rural back road near Calverton, Milton Keynes, heading into town. It was a pale blue colour, with big single round headlights. It was in 'barn find' condition and trailing a cloud of thick, deep grey (not blue!) smoke. The chap driving looked to be in his late 50s/60s. What was it doing, sneaking around the back roads of Milton Keynes on a pre-Bank Holiday Thursday evening at rush hour? It did look lovely.

The registration number was 316 DBM and looking on the 'Bus Lists on the Web' website ( http://www.buslistsontheweb.co.uk/ ) another coach with reg. no. 314 DBM was a March 1961 Ford Thames 570E Duple C41F, owned by Travel House in Luton. A quick trawl of the web shows that to be pretty much what I think I saw and in the right kind of colour scheme, too. If so, registered just two numbers away, it might have been from the same bus company.

Has anyone else spotted this around?

Went to Denmark at the weekend. Weren't these actually called the East Lancs Nordic?

attachicon.gifIMG_20180421_115635412.jpg

Yes. Those were / are East Lancs Nordic bodied Volvo B7Ls. Didn't think there were any left in the wild over there. Copenhagen had a good sized batch of them in 3 door configuration. The UK only ever saw 10, all new to First Glasgow on a 10 year lease from Volvo. They mostly went to Tyrers of Adlington and MASS Engineering for Brightbus school buses but since the demise of MASS, they're all over the place. Notts & Derby are running a couple ex MASS for schools and the park and ride. 2 have also suffered thermal incidents.

post-5330-0-31475700-1525464978_thumb.jpg

post-5330-0-34397900-1525464983_thumb.jpg

Apollo are putting the screws on First re a takeover, and retrenchment has already started in East Anglia, Clacton depot is for the boot, and Go Ahead Hedingham, a bankrupt company totally written off has said they will cover the Clacton town services, the problem with that is, Hedingham piss off at school times, and are as reliable as a brand new Morris Marina. First recently deliberately made Clacton look even worse on paper by transferring 06 plate Omnicitys. 

I think the bridge was the winner attachicon.gifDSC_0009_3.JPG

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Whoa the hell happened to that! iv seen a few buses get a free hair cut by low bridges but I have never seen any come out as bad as that one has the entire body looks twisted.... (Looks like its an Alexander ALX400 of some kind)

One under, one over.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

"claire pendrous" did not expect to see her name on the autoshite forums! she has a very nice and rare collection of street lights (and a good number of rare lightbulbs to go with them  :mrgreen:  ) and is well known among the street light collectors community :) (I have 2 Thorn and 2 GEC, Ex MOD 2ft 40W T12 Red coloured fluorescent tubes and a 30W 3ft T12 Atlas, Green coloured fluorescent tube from her :) )

Whoa the hell happened to that! iv seen a few buses get a free hair cut by low bridges but I have never seen any come out as bad as that one has the entire body looks twisted.... (Looks like its an Alexander ALX400 of some kind)

"claire pendrous" did not expect to see her name on the autoshite forums! she has a very nice and rare collection of street lights (and a good number of rare lightbulbs to go with them :mrgreen: ) and is well known among the street light collectors community :) (I have 2 Thorn and 2 GEC, Ex MOD 2ft 40W T12 Red coloured fluorescent tubes and a 30W 3ft T12 Atlas, Green coloured fluorescent tube from her :) )

Knew I recognised the name, but was pulling my hair out trying to figure out where the heck from. Got a few bits and pieces in the vastly-in-need-of-auditing boxes of lighting stuff that I'd never have found save for Claire selling some stuff off a few years back.

My guess is it was a low enough bridge that ALX400 went into was low enough that it smacked it hard enough to shove the upper deck floor backwards and sideways.

One of those on a B7TL chassis was on the list of most underpowered vehicles I'd ever driven. Other highlights were wing mirrors that vibrated so much at idle you couldn't see out of them and a windscreen that used to get more water on the inside surface than outside if it rained. The main reason for the vastly underpowered behaviour when I drove it turned out to be due to it being sideswiped in traffic...they repaired the panel, nobody noticed the end of the exhaust had been folded over though and it was trying to breath though a hole about 3/4" in diameter...no wonder it was struggling! Never drove it again myself, but I'm told it was far better after some careful attention with a hammer to the exhaust tip.

The Bursledon Brickworks site continues to evolve. I hadn't been up there for about a month and each time I go it's changed slightly.

The two Guys are just visiting. Things like this really do need to be kept undercover, especially if it's an open top.

post-20743-0-83051800-1525608559_thumb.jpgpost-20743-0-23111700-1525608661_thumb.jpgpost-20743-0-01705600-1525608753_thumb.jpg

Note the red and white striped grille on 64. This was for a rerun a couple of years ago of the Saints FA cup victory parade of 1976. It's the only thing they've ever won and Saints fans still go on about it now. Anyway 64 was the bus used for the parade 42 years ago so they decided to do a 40th anniversary rerun.

Some random shots from the top deck of Atlantean 256. This is used as spares bus and store. They make great sheds.

post-20743-0-47584600-1525608876_thumb.jpgpost-20743-0-11968000-1525609010_thumb.jpgpost-20743-0-70661500-1525609141_thumb.jpg

Regent V 367.

post-20743-0-50481200-1525609443_thumb.jpg

Arty shot from the top of my bus through the windows of Olympian 289.

post-20743-0-70194800-1525609630_thumb.jpg

I forgot to isolate the batteries when I left last time so the bus was inevitably dead when I got there. So the batteries came home with me in the back of the Fav. Who needs a van?post-20743-0-88818100-1525609773_thumb.jpg

I was just about to leave when I thought I could hear a distant chuffing. I started looking around for a train (there's a narrow gauge railway runs around the museum site). Could see nothing at first then noticed this in the distance. There is a big shed full of traction engines at the bottom of the Brickworks.

post-20743-0-68227200-1525609977_thumb.jpg

My car was in the way at this point as I was just closing up the bus section so I moved it up to the gate out of the way. I didn't want to be responsible for making it stop, I don't know how much effort is involved getting it going again.

The Land Rover was attached to the back of the engine with a rigid bar.

post-20743-0-54840500-1525610064_thumb.jpg

You know all those immaculate traction engines you see at shows with their polished brass and shiny lined paintwork and intricate hand painted lettering?

Well look at the patina on this!

post-20743-0-77424100-1525610249_thumb.jpg

It must have taken years to build up a finish like this. That's how they should look.

So I asked them where they were off to and they said Twyford Waterworks. So from one old industrial museum to another. 'Oh that's not too far then' I said then realised as I said it that it probably is in one of these. Two and a half to three hours the chap said. To do thirteen miles.

A bit of a mystery to be solved! Driving home from work yesterday, an old coach went the other way on a rural back road near Calverton, Milton Keynes, heading into town. It was a pale blue colour, with big single round headlights. It was in 'barn find' condition and trailing a cloud of thick, deep grey (not blue!) smoke. The chap driving looked to be in his late 50s/60s. What was it doing, sneaking around the back roads of Milton Keynes on a pre-Bank Holiday Thursday evening at rush hour? It did look lovely.

The registration number was 316 DBM and looking on the 'Bus Lists on the Web' website ( http://www.buslistsontheweb.co.uk/ ) another coach with reg. no. 314 DBM was a March 1961 Ford Thames 570E Duple C41F, owned by Travel House in Luton. A quick trawl of the web shows that to be pretty much what I think I saw and in the right kind of colour scheme, too. If so, registered just two numbers away, it might have been from the same bus company.

Has anyone else spotted this around?

I can't find any trace of 316 DBM so I reckon the vehicle you saw is indeed the very same 314 DBM, recorded as a caravan in Milton Keynes and currently taxed. It's a Duple Yeoman-bodied Ford Thames, common at the time but now extremely rare and I've never seen one at a show.

Found a pic of it

13991900035_3ec1f7d37e_c.jpg

Former Rainbows of Westbury 314DBM. by EYBusman, on Flickr

My mate Turbogob Turner in Leeds owns a Yeoman, it's currently having a couple of years break due to spare parts issues. It has featured on the cover of Bus & Coach Preservation, and had a feature of it when it returned to the road after a 15 year layup, other toys in the fleet are having priority atm, such as the Leopard Supreme & Optare Intershittypacer

Here's a short vid of it 'improving the climate' as Junkman would say. One day he will get his Regent V restored, he also has an utterly basket case Bedford SBG Duple, that needs a lotto win

I bring you the future...

Followed one of these on my pushbike the other day. They sound even weirder from the pavement.

We've got a bunch of full electric Optare Solos around us here - my faith in the order of things has been greatly strengthened by the fact that they sound absolutely like something out of a sci-fi movie!

We've got a bunch of full electric Optare Solos around us here - my faith in the order of things has been greatly strengthened by the fact that they sound absolutely like something out of a sci-fi movie!

They're Wrightbus Streetshites. My faith in them is somewhat tempered by the fact that a pair of diesel versions have been on loan from the manufacturer since 2014 because they're so unreliable and hardly ever all working at the same time. One did once make it all the way to Woburn Abbey and back under its own power though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Should be, BUT VALs are renowned for crap brakes, so getting it tested yearly is a must, just think about all that weight, and what could happen, we've discussed this at length on here, and MOT exemption is a bloody stupid idea

I've had severe brake fade on a double decker, and trust me, it's bloody scary, a foot pedal going straight to the floor, and I was nearing a pedestrian crossing, the only way of stopping was the parking brake, which locked up the back wheels and I went into a skid, thankfully I stopped in time. Both myself, and a duty inspector were swearing at supervisors about it, as it could have been very nasty. And the Sowerby Bridge incident involving a tipper from Skipton still is strong in my mind, no brakes, driver slammed into a shop, hitting several people, and killing them. I'd love to meet the idiot who decided on this exemption rule, and hit them in the head with a mallet, sorry, but this subject really boils my piss

Should be, BUT VALs are renowned for crap brakes, so getting it tested yearly is a must, just think about all that weight, and what could happen, we've discussed this at length on here, and MOT exemption is a bloody stupid idea

Agree totally with this. I remember back in the late 70's the firm I drove for had a VAL. It had also been excellently modified by the fitters who'd replaced the standard gear lever with one that appeared to be out of a Vauxhall Viva. You nearly had to turn around and face the passengers to reach it and change gear.

As for brakes, at another firm I worked for, I looked at the duty sheet then looked at the boss. "Ah, yes, we're given you the Ford today (an R1114 Dominant II) as the brakes don't work properly and you know how to slow down using the gears".

I looked at him and thought bollocks, the brakes have been shite since it was brand new and the whole fleet, including the Leopard are manual boxes. What shit have you got lined up for me tomorrow.

Cannot remember quite what shit job it was.

After Misery Bus 1 ( http://autoshite.com/topic/10183-bus-shite-ive-been-papped-noooooo-lol/?p=1378728 ) there was Misery Bus 2. ( http://autoshite.com/topic/10183-bus-shite-ive-been-papped-noooooo-lol/?p=1456492 ). MB1 was fixed and returned briefly, but has been replaced by Misery Coach 2 (MC1 is away getting fixed).

MC2...

post-19900-0-27003500-1527249887_thumb.jpg

post-19900-0-32277500-1527249958_thumb.jpg

...is an ex-Ulsterbus Plaxton Premiere / Volvo B10M (1603 / JAZ 1603)

post-19900-0-99316600-1527250038_thumb.jpg

7639172162_7c68e39d29_b.jpg

Hmmm

post-19900-0-52510700-1527250209_thumb.jpg

I regularly used to drive an ex Bus Eireann B10M Premiere 350, with UK private plate YSV563, that was a shed that shat it's compressor in Maryport, it was recently up for sale with no MOT, with a grand starting price, oh how I roffled, as it's bodywork is rotten

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Hooli

After Misery Bus 1 ( http://autoshite.com/topic/10183-bus-shite-ive-been-papped-noooooo-lol/?p=1378728 ) there was Misery Bus 2. ( http://autoshite.com/topic/10183-bus-shite-ive-been-papped-noooooo-lol/?p=1456492 ). MB1 was fixed and returned briefly, but has been replaced by Misery Coach 2 (MC1 is away getting fixed).

MC2...

attachicon.gifIMG_20180520_170450.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20180522_001100_489.jpg

...is an ex-Ulsterbus Plaxton Premiere / Volvo B10M (1603 / JAZ 1603)

attachicon.gifIMG_20180520_165551.jpg

7639172162_7c68e39d29_b.jpg

Hmmm

attachicon.gifIMG_20180520_165509.jpg

Looks similar to what I learnt to drive buses in.