Bus Shite

Felly Magic

• 4 weeks later...

I miss buses how they used to be up to about 1996, particularly the Ailsas... the noise they made, my god, one of my earliest bus memories was being on an Ailsa charging up the Forfar road and the noise being similar to a herd of elephants howling through a megaphone as they jumped off a cliff

Every journey as a kid felt like an event.11805866245_8a39fece2f_b.jpg

Ex Ulsterbus Wright bodied Tiger, quite rare in the UK. So who was driving it on that U Tube video ?

25 built so quite rare in general; this was one of the seven (I think) brought in by Invincible at Tamworth. The K-plate is ex Ulsterbus 1408/WXI 4408 which is actually the first of the Wright 'Classic' style produced. The J-reg is ex Ulsterbus 1413/WXI 4413 which was the first of the 25 to actually enter service in June 1992.

I wasn't aware of the YouTube video (seen it now) - it's our transport manager Mark at the wheel. It was K984 JNV's first public outing after repaint into red in October 2016 and it got passed about like a used scudbook for most of the afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

They look smarter than most stuff 15 years newer!

Cheers Jon; we DO try to keep them tidy but we had a pretty rough spell earlier in the year which kinda fucked us a bit but we're starting to push on again. We lost eight of our nine newest coaches during a bout of unpleasantness best left for another time but we're actually doing better than ever.

Repaints stopped for a bit which left some of the fleet looking quite tired but we've brought that back in house too with one new* addition just about to head for MOT before a Volvo B7R and a Volvo B10M come in to get done. Once they're done the other B10M is due in for re-repaint, followed by another B7R.

The one just about finished was this very cheap Merc 29-seater; it was a genuine barn find which needed a wee bit of work but it should be back on the road by mid October (waiting on an MOT slot). It's also had six brand new wheel rims since these pictures, the bumper is now on and been fitted with new light units all round. Looks okay for 17 years old!43bf79d942361744415899f34ba05ebf.jpgd34b8c6746274f6ffaafa7ddc3570575.jpg2ad4753545626402a076d53c44c59e6d.jpg788047f64db8e5b1e358fd843e54c6b0.jpgfdc3a022aa8c8663aaf294b622f8f97a.jpg3dc622a6ab303a6ad6c52cbf65ea4347.jpg8918671c53c1aca491abdf5dd947f9bc.jpg38a56111487db0fa72301e2fbda5b010.jpgfea989905100188cbda9102da4ea314d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The Cheetah isn't a bad old thing, but the Cheetah2, now that's an entirely different kettle of fish, oh the hillarity me and Penfold Tetley had with a brand spanker, it crabbed, the speed limiter was set at 55, just as the badermatic switched in to top, so on any kind of gradient, was up and down the box, the stereo would cut out when the limiter kicked in, and random bits of trim fell off, and the front foglights were held in by Sikaflex, Tetley was fuming, as he'd paid cash for it, was fun driving it back to Scab for repairs, it was gone for 6 weeks. I suspect all they did was build another and put the plates on that. 

Saw a Paramount today.  Not sure what chassis it's on as it was hidden half below a hedgerow - Cummins L10 engine though based on the burble (which is why I looked in that direction) - and unlike about the last dozen I've seen - still had the correct maaaaahossive tail lights, which made me far happier to see than it really should have.

Just in plain white (looked shiny) so just out the paint shop I have to guess.

Used to think they were dead boring when we got them for school trips...I only considered the Supremes or Dominants "real" coaches.  Okay, the Jonkheere P499 got a pass simply because I'd never seen a Jonkheere up until that point, so it got points for being different.  Even if based on a first gen B10M with the smaller engine it was geologically slow as the body was really a couple of tonnes too heavy for the engine.

They look "proper" now though!  Would happily ride one anywhere over the modern tat.

Still wouldn't own one though.  The chrome, veneer and attempt to convey glamour that we saw in the earlier days is what draws me in really - and visually I like the holder more brutalist looks of the 70s coaches really...Dominant II being the winner hands down in terms of looks for me.  Shame they rust in such truly exciting ways.

We had a Cheetah 2 on the Dyce Airlink in the first few months back in Aberdeen.  The degree to which it leaked when it rained was truly comical.  Only thing worse was the reliability record.  Especially as we'd paid for vinyls for the blasted thing, and that the operator only set up one ticket machine for the route, so we never got fares when the wrong bus was in use... can't remember what it was replaced with between that and the Solo which lacked working heating as long as I knew it...

I do miss the truly hilarious noises the Alison boxes these old Mercedes were usually fitted with used to make though.  Especially the one which used to regularly appear on our route in MK which appeared to be stuck in kickdown mode...so it went pretty well, but sounded epic...made a change from them usually barely making it up a hill without losing drive which was more normal behaviour on the MK Metro fleet...

Just spent a good few days in Turin and it's a pretty bus heavy place. I noticed the hub of the local operator (GTT) is the following buses:

33401375854_4ecb0e3f19_c.jpgIrisbus Cityclass 12 - GTT 2740 by Pi Eye, on Flickr

33401375484_5b64bc2fff_c.jpgVan Hool AG300 - GTT 982 by Pi Eye, on Flickr

36939784091_d9f3cb6c83_c.jpg9055 by Julian L. C., on Flickr

They are a bit of a mixed bag to be honest. At one point, we had to take a replacement bus to cover the suspension of the (automated, neat) Metro, and one of those single deck Cityclass Ivecos turned up. It was arguably overladen, and it felt like the rear axle was moving about under all the weight, wiggling a bit too much, and a heck of a lean into bends!

They seem to vary in condition wildly, between pretty tidy to absolutely fucked, with saggy suspension, oil and grease soaked panels and barely visible lights. Some of the bendy buses had bits of the articulated parts dragging along the road FFS...

The Van Hool things were mid-mounted engined, which makes more sense in a bendy. The Bredamenarinibus looked odd, like someone sneezed some leftover trailer lights on the front and rear of them.

There was also some electric buses too, some of which were tiny. 

You get on the bus and validate your ticket, I don't think you can actually buy the tickets from the driver. I noticed that NO ONE seemed to bother validating their ticket and I can only assume they were travelling for nothing. The drivers had a bank of CCTV (in black and white) monitors next to them, seemed like a good idea. Interiors are bare as hell though, plastic seats and made for standing really. I noticed the bendys were plated to carry 143 people!!!

You should have seen the state of the 'Not So Regal' Busways ex Preston shed from the same batch, it had several different mismatched panels, and was regularly seen dumped in a layby between North Weald & Epping, that firm went from a very tidy indie, to an absolute shower of shit, running various buses on loan from every man & their dog, more often than not with a tatty bit of paper in the windscreen for destinations

Clearing out the attic, I came across this which I forgot I bought years ago. Bought mostly for local interest and also because as a kid in the late 90s all my school buses were leyland leopards, Bristol REs and Leyland Tigers.....

200 pages of the stuff fd12459d044055b8453e61d75bf5e151.jpg93f935b4e278c9f17ebb41e66a4c0b00.jpgdd78c05e256ccb5ad4d381079ed176e7.jpg306f14763958d3bb8999710eb3efc84c.jpg

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Back home on a proper computer so can add to this. It is on the old Keswick to Cockermouth road in a village called Thornthwaite and I am led to believe it could be for sale as the owner was thinking of scrapping it.

Spotted the diecast model. There are masses of photos online of the bus in service. Let’s hope the owner sells it as a project, rather than weighs it in.

post-4721-0-80520000-1539247677_thumb.jpeg