Bus Shite

Felly Magic

M800DLC was new as WA56ENV M400 was WA56ENW, both new to Weaver of Newbury.

The Futora's I've driven and travelled on have all had the same annoying fault with the main door. Park anywhere where the bus leans to the nearside and the door wouldn't latch correctly. You had to press the close button the quickly get into the footwell to pull the door closed.

Had one incident just after leaving the bus station in Hamilton where a pedestrian walked straight out in front of us. This was back when I spent many hours regularly on the 590 NX service between Aberdeen and Milton Keynes.

The usual bus we had on that route then was either a Plaxton Premiere or Van Hool Alizee. However that day we had a replacement that was a Futura.

We still reckon that if we'd not had that replacement vehicle the guy would have been dead - however the shape of the front of the Futura simply shoved him back onto the pavement where he landed on his backside, the only casualty being the bottle of Buckfast that he dropped. Low speed (barely above walking pace) impact obviously, but we reckon it it had been the normal vehicle (especially the Alizee) he'd have wound up under the bus.

The Futura must have looked like something from outer space back when it was launched (1984?), even the early ones with the big wraparound indicators still look modern today.

Neoplans.

Our 8 year old Tourliner has done one day's work this year.

One day.

Finally got it back together, went out yesterday... head gasket failure.

It's on 365,000kms.

I'm no great Futura fan - we've got three Futura Classics, two 09s and a 60-plate - but they're leagues ahead of the sodding Tourliner.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'll see your Tourliner and raise you this:

https://flic.kr/p/W1oab5

Neoplan N4016. 5-pot MAN engine, only 10 of them imported so spares were a nightmare, and they had been ruined by being thrashed around Liverpool all their lives.

Tanat Valley bought 3 because they were cheap, and then bought a 4th as a spares donor. One only lasted a few months before going pop, and because they couldn't find an engine it became the second spares motor. Even when all 3 were working it was rare for all three to be working at the same time. They also liked a drink - the MAN lump combined with a 3-speed Voith was incredibly thirsty. None lasted more than 18 months, despite having fair amounts of new metal added and seats retrimmed etc. My worst memory was being stood in foot-deep snow under the outdoor jacks running the new throttle cable - not a particularly difficult job but a pain in the backside to thread through the tube and connect.

Walked past Salisbury bus station last week and it had completely disappeared!

We go to Salisbury quite regularly but usually use the main car park or park out by Harnham mill and walk in over the water meadow as it's free and a pleasant walk. This time we were too hungry to walk and thought the main car park was best avoided due to proximity to ongoing Russian spy poisoning so went to the car park behind the bus station.

I knew it had closed but last time we walked passed it was a closed bus station. I'm sure it wasn't that long ago. Now it's all retirement flats and there is absolutely no sign there was ever a bus station there at all.

So I found some pictures from about 2005 I think. This was the Wilts and Dorset LH farewell.

post-20743-0-76609500-1522231141_thumb.jpgpost-20743-0-97340300-1522231171_thumb.jpgpost-20743-0-66403400-1522231196_thumb.jpgpost-20743-0-31078700-1522231230_thumb.jpg

The last one was in the middle of nowhere where the two buses met. I think we were on our way to or from West Tytherley or Lockerley.

Guest Hooli

The Futora's I've driven and travelled on have all had the same annoying fault with the main door. Park anywhere where the bus leans to the nearside and the door wouldn't latch correctly. You had to press the close button the quickly get into the footwell to pull the door closed.

The Scania Irisars I used to drive were the same.

LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE etc...

I did also.

Ooof. A 425 is very much on my 'to drive' list.

I never honestly thought I'd get the chance... sadly this is now more or less it's final resting place - it's due for disembowelment to keep my TM's preserved 425 fit.38bf59a6d31e8347b7bf9d04be67b62c.jpgfecdbde12b4be148fd5a94a03d4ad652.jpg

Whoever said you should never meet your heroes is a fucking liar.28d4777b23f5d3bf564730740ea8adee.jpg

Now there's something I've never seen before...what is it and what's it built on?

The red line work on the dashboard puts me in mind of the dash in the later Bedford CF vans...

^^^^ Duple Hestair 425. Semi integral, mechanical bits by Dennis with Cummings engine (go like shit if you put a bigger engine in one out of a wagon). Body by Duple except Plaxtons bought Duple and last lot were built in France by a firm they bought there. That closed not much later.

Classic interior colour!

I couldn't visit the US without snapping one of these could I?

Sorry it's not a great photo, poor lighting and from the far side of the road.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180402_201523.jpg

Sadly not the same without all the chrome and the Detroit two stroke soundtrack...

But isn't it illegal to take photos of Greyhound coaches? I'm sure I read something in the enthusiast press a few years ago that Greyhound were trying to ban people from photographing their coaches but I can't remember what bollocks they used to justify it, something about protecting their brand identity or similar bullshit maybe.

Anyone up for some London Transport Country area action next week? Based at Watford Junction Station. 

2018%20Watford%20Poster%20(002).jpg

Yes. I'm on this now. I don't even really know what it is.

post-20743-0-77087800-1523180145_thumb.jpg

It's a T apparently, it's very hard to type on. Even I'm avoiding Routemasters today.

But isn't it illegal to take photos of Greyhound coaches? I'm sure I read something in the enthusiast press a few years ago that Greyhound were trying to ban people from photographing their coaches but I can't remember what bollocks they used to justify it, something about protecting their brand identity or similar bullshit maybe.

• Please don’t take photos, video or make audio recordings of Greyhound staff, equipment or procedures (most of us haven’t been to acting school and just want to do our jobs).

That's from https://www.greyhound.com/en/help-and-info/travel-info/your-rights-rules-on-board

However that's only the rules on board, I'm pretty sure they can't stop you taking photos of anything in the public domain unless it's some sort of national security threat.