Bus Shite

Felly Magic

Fscking stupid bloody bastard modern piece of garbage forum editor!

Just spent a good forty minutes typing up a reply, only to have it disappear when I clicked submit.

Well fsck that, not typing it up again.  No, it hasn't autosaved, before anyone suggests that, it autofilled a grand total of one sentence.

Really starting to wonder why I bother these days since the upgrade.  Yes the old system was clunky, but at least it bloody worked reliably.Screenshot_20190725_201058.thumb.jpg.cd0a652199a9930733b4e0b00e499c56.jpg

Screenshot_20190725_200209.jpg

Screenshot_20190725_200728.jpg

Screenshot_20190725_200950.jpg

... Apparently it also saved all but one of my uploaded images (albeit not in order).  Which you'll just have to have now without any context. Sorry.

3 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Fscking stupid bloody bastard modern piece of garbage forum editor!

Just spent a good forty minutes typing up a reply, only to have it disappear when I clicked submit.

Well fsck that, not typing it up again.  No, it hasn't autosaved, before anyone suggests that, it autofilled a grand total of one sentence.

wish there was a way to fix things

I have made a habit when typing up a long response now to just do a highlight all then copy it to my clipboard

because I too have had the editor eat responses on a number of occasions 

can an admin @Slartibartfast maybe install just a basic plain text editor?

and just offer a toggle switch to switch between whichever editor a specific user prefers?

1 minute ago, LightBulbFun said:

wish there was a way to fix things

I have made a habit when typing up a long response now to just do a highlight all then copy it to my clipboard

because I too have had the editor eat responses on a number of occasions 

can an admin @Slartibartfast maybe install just a basic plain text editor?

and just offer a toggle switch to switch between whichever editor a specific user prefers?

Basically it looks like there isn't one any more...times have just moved on and that's "obsolete" now.

The issue I have with copy/paste is twofold.  Firstly it only works if it has autosaved any attachments (not a given), and secondly that often when I paste the text back into the editor it often seems to foul up the formatting (the automatic double line spacing shite drives me mental anyway...if I want a double fscking space I'll put it there thank you very much...) and such in that it ends up taking as long to bloody fix as it would to just retype.  Especially getting kicked back to the start of the damn message every time focus is taken from the text box...

Enough of that...back on topic.  Nothing new here I've not already mentioned on the thread regarding the upgrade to the forum software itself.  I hate it, and if this wasn't the forum I'm by far the most active on (and the only one where anyone actually seems to engage with my drivel) I'd have just walked away by now.

Yes, I've tried Tapatalk too and have just found myself utterly unable to find my way around there.

Given that when I was like 12 I was doing stuff like writing my own printer manager (and the drivers, after reverse engineering the Windows ones) for my Amiga in the mid 90s, and up to around 2005 being the guy folks came to with problems, it's downright painful to be struggling so badly with a lot of the tech like this these days.  Makes me feel incredibly useless and just want to go and bash my head against the nearest wall. 

Have tried that too...just wound up needing to repair the wall then *and* had a headache.

Sorry...rant over.  Back to buses please.  Sorry.

8 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Basically it looks like there isn't one any more...times have just moved on and that's "obsolete" now.

its why im asking a Mod @brownnova @Pillock or an Admin @Slartibartfast to add a plain text editor into the forum software somewhere, being a plain text editor I cant imagine its very hard to implement one, the whole point of a plain text editor is its just meant to be a box to which you input text

I know for example the Mac Rumours forum I frequent has an option to turn off the rich text editor

image.thumb.png.899976329f25dc84283291ca80dc9bdd.png

Nice pics Zel, well, I can live with the Alexander bodied Olympian (neat arty pic), even possibly with the fact there's an Alexander bodied AN68 in the background, but FFS, a National!!!!!

The last time I went to Gosport to photo Provincial, I'd missed their home made deckers, although I do remember them in service, and they were running RE's.

Basically think I was on about somebody having mentioned liking the sound of the 510, I agreed but pointed out that a thundering Cummins L10 as featured in the above Olly was probably my favourite.  Especially when the exhaust appears to lack much silencing as E130 and E131DRS did...you could hear (and feel) them coming from a good half mile away on a quiet day.

E130DRS demonstrated this nicely in this video..

Headphones or a decent subwoofer needed for full effect.

Got a quick shot of 131 one day, and hearing that thundering exhaust note bouncing back off the surrounding buildings while I had control of the loud pedal made me grin like a total loon.

She goes bloody well.  Seems to have quite a high speed diff fitted in addition to arrive speed box, had to back off so as to remain legal and she still had plenty left to give.   Sadly only had a five minute go, would have loved to get a few miles covered.

While I was looking for those pics (excuse the screenshots, Flickr apparently won't even let me download my own photos now, and I'm not going near the desktop as my office is roughly the temperature of the surface of the sun!), when I also stumbled across the National which featured in the centre door interlock episode I mentioned a few posts back.  Think it may have been the day I snapped that photo actually.

The last pic there was my desktop wallpaper at work for a good few years...really happy with how it came out.  If anyone actually wants full Res copies of any of those photos let me know and I'll dig them out next time the office is a tolerance temperature.

• 2 weeks later...

As usual, every time I go up to our yard something else has turned up. This time it's this. IMG_20190806_101127.thumb.jpg.f66a505a3128c847b989190c4cb025d1.jpgThis was the best pic I could get as it was hemmed in at the front. Some sort of Olympian I presume. 

As usual I could Google it to find its history but where's the fun in that when I know one of you lot will want to tell me? Legal lettering says Portsmouth City Coaches, Southbourne (which is actually half way to Chichester). Never heard of them. 

12 hours ago, Yoss said:

As usual, every time I go up to our yard something else has turned up. This time it's this. IMG_20190806_101127.thumb.jpg.f66a505a3128c847b989190c4cb025d1.jpgThis was the best pic I could get as it was hemmed in at the front. Some sort of Olympian I presume. 

As usual I could Google it to find its history but where's the fun in that when I know one of you lot will want to tell me? Legal lettering says Portsmouth City Coaches, Southbourne (which is actually half way to Chichester). Never heard of them. 

Be interesting to see what livery that gets put in, given it started in Stagecoach colours, then Magicbus at then end of it's life in Manchester, then a fair few independants.

SM-16790-P720GND-2010

Today I attended Dewsbury Bus Museum's day at Batley Mill Village. I don't know very much about buses so won't be able to give much detail to the pics, but the fact that these enthusiasts are able and willing to drive people around in their preserved, restored or well worn vehicles for free is something I find heartwarming and fasciniting in equal measures.

DSC_0462.JPG

DSC_0463.JPG

DSC_0464.JPG

DSC_0465.JPG

DSC_0466.JPG

DSC_0467.JPG

DSC_0468.JPG

DSC_0469.JPG

DSC_0470.JPG

DSC_0471.JPG

DSC_0472.JPG

DSC_0474.JPG

DSC_0479.JPG

DSC_0482.JPG

DSC_0483.JPG

DSC_0484.JPG

DSC_0486.JPG

DSC_0487.JPG

DSC_0489.JPG

DSC_0492.JPG

I sold my bus yesterday. I had owned it for 13 years this time and about 20 of the last 30 years in total (bought it the first time in March 1989) but it was time to move on. I'd been considering this for some time but didn't really want to lose touch with it. Then at Alton rally last month I saw an old friend and former RM owner who was in the market for another bus and particularly wanted a Leyland engined example. This is good because I can keep in touch with it. In fact at the moment it doesn't feel like I've sold it at all, it just feels like somebody has given me lots of money to take it away and spend lots more money on it! 

Anyway, some pictures. 

Yesterday morning, getting it ready for departure. One last picture with the Skoda. IMG_20190818_102141.thumb.jpg.63942503bb216dab7755b9db536d7f4b.jpg

I decided to go for one last run and went with the new owner as far as Winchester, which was about as far as I could go and still get back to Bursledon by public transport to pick up the car. Stopped off at Eastliegh to put diesel in it. IMG_20190818_113728.thumb.jpg.72db4b9068ef4f3ba3413d3ea442ebca.jpg

Then got off in Winchester. IMG_20190818_120850.thumb.jpg.840c327fd7ab1bc67c5d5b2c9c51b26a.jpg

And watched it drive off into the sunset*IMG_20190818_120907.thumb.jpg.1ba87b857abd05ac123e58d70018439b.jpgIMG_20190818_120914.thumb.jpg.2389acd59b6d7345f871c7540d39676c.jpgIMG_20190818_120928.thumb.jpg.a9185943dcf8facf70ad9d2a1ce4c027.jpgIMG_20190818_120933.thumb.jpg.cadaa1accbe4dfe48c2b334af35318cc.jpgIMG_20190818_120940.thumb.jpg.916a6b7b82d68c8394c1065d0b213d9e.jpgIMG_20190818_120941.thumb.jpg.fe58de967e647d08ce75095e9ade5b03.jpg

didn't realise you where thinking of selling her Sad to see her go :( 

but hopefully she is off to a good home :) 

I still hope I can see her in person someday (well I would have seen her at Routemaster 60 but I was just having a sensory overload at all the Routemasters that where suddenly in front of me :) ), park my Invacar next to her that would be pretty epic :mrgreen: (I still wonder what vintage the fluorescent tubes in the offside advert are! LOL)

(thats a rather fitting destination blind you had there)

do you have plans to get another bus of some kind or just save the money for other things or what have you?

Let me show you this picture. IMG_20190818_172209.thumb.jpg.024785e854c9451324cfc50e459fcd5a.jpg

Taken in 1992 in the much lamented Twickenham Garage. RM 2107 belonged to the chap who has just bought my bus and here they are together both proudly displaying their Norwood blinds (sort of, Swanage not the usual destination for the 68). But 2107 also has the trademark Norwood silver grille. Our bus did have until a week before this picture was taken. Our friend Ernie who co owned it (it was jointly owned by three of us first time round) said he had a week off and was going to hand paint it. We turned up an hour or so before Ernie on this day and the first thing me and Barry (third co owner) said was "he's painted the grille red!"  We didn't care what he did with the rest of the bus but it had to have a silver grille. Even when it was still in Southampton Citybus colours we had a Norwood silver grille on it. 

So Robbie was working on 2107 when we arrived and we managed to blag some silver paint and a couple of brushes and whipped the grille off and painted it silver before Ernie arrived. Here it is about an hour later ready to hit the road. IMG_20190819_182404.thumb.jpg.265236eb8a4f3a384d02579f4cabf674.jpg

Fast forward a dozen or so years and Robbie was a driver at Brixton garage on the 159s right til the end of normal RM operation. And for the last few years the Brixton RMs had silver grilles too. I wondered if some staff had transferred from nearby Norwood, who no longer had RMs. I found out later that Robbie had done it himself. He'd painted the grille silver (with permission) on every bus in Brixton in his own time in a nod towards the Norwood buses. 

When I bought my bus back in 2006, again the first thing I did was paint the grille silver and put Norwood garage codes on it. As far as I know it is the only preserved RM with a silver grille. I know that whatever Robbie does with it the grille will stay silver and for that reason I know I've sold it to the right person. It may seem like a trivial detail to everyone else but we know what it means. My bus (or ex-bus, it still feels like my bus) was the last Leyland engined RM at Norwood and the last RM on the Norwood operated route 68.

Know exactly what you are feeling.

I've had four Reliances over the years, and even when vandalised beyond repair I've been very, very sad to see it go.

The upside for me is that 1322WA, the first one I bought from North's scrapyard, in about 1980, is now prestine at the South Yorkshire Transport Museum. Of the other three, an earlier one was sold to help restore a similar one from another operator and the two KWA---D batch ones, whilst no longer surviving, another from that batch does.

Money isn't everything, but just think how many Skoda's you could buy!

I'll try not to spend it all on Skodas as I don't have that much room but I will be able to treat the ones I already own a little. That was part of the reason for selling. All the vehicles in my fleet have some sort of jobs that need doing, mainly cosmetic and selling the Skodas wouldn't pay for half of what I could spend on the bus, especially if we start going into retrimming the interior etc, whereas selling the bus will fund looking after the cars very nicely. And I think the Favorit is rarer now too. Even I don't pay any attention to RMs at bus rallies, unless it's a friend's one as they too common (though mine was different to all the others of course). 

as Busman's Holiday said I know the feeling and it sounds like its going to a good home :)

thats a neat story about the grill, I do recall seeing silver grill RMs like you mention ill have to pull out my books and see what I can spot :)

and yes knowing the going rate Routemasters sell for, I can see there being some very shiny Skodas, could even get a proper skoda with the engine in the back :) 

BTW I noticed RM2107 also has an offside illuminated advertising frame setup was it something Southampton looked out for when buying RMs or is it just a coincidence in this case? 

(side note I must be the only person left alive who still goes "Oooh Routemasters! YAY!" when I spot 1 or a bunch at a bus show LOL)

RM 2107 never came to Southampton, it had been to Glasgow and back. That's Clydeside livery (before you were born, I know). 

There were originally a couple of hundred of the illuminated advert bodies and I used to know which bodies they were, but as time passes and new numbers get pushed into my brain old ones fall out, but they were around the 1700-1900 area. But because of London Transport's unique overhaul system they got spread out a bit, though most seemed to stay in that general area even after three or four spins through Aldenham. 

Then there's the Leyland engines. There were 600 of those out of 2100ish buses (they were only fitted to standard RMs, none of the sub classes had them) and from new they were in sequential batches (I have all the info upstairs but it's not in my brain anymore) but again were spread far and wide through Aldenham. But by the time the Aldenham overhauls finished it did seem like a lot of Leylands and offside adverts came together in the 1900-2000 area. 

When Southampton Citybus decided to buy some they wanted all Leylands on the rather spurious reasoning that most of their fleet at the time was Leyland Atlanteans, though I don't think the O600 in the RMs actually had too much interchangeable with the O680 in the Atlanteans. And how hard can it be to train your fitters on the AEC. The last AEC Regents had only been withdrawn six years earlier so I reckon plenty of fitters probably still knew them. Ironically when they first introduced the RMs they also brought AEC Regent V 401 out of their heritage fleet. 

But it suited me fine because I was always partial to a Leyland RM and was in my element when they arrived. If you look at the second picture above, we'd pulled up alongside RM 2059. That was a ex Southampton bus and that too has an illuminated advert panel. We had RMs 1993, 2011, 2037, 2043 and 2059 with illuminated adverts but also 2005 but that didn't have one so obviously aquired a body from a different batch at some point. 

ah bollocks of course :) I knew recognised the livery from somewhere!

I wonder if the Leyland buses ended up with illuminated Offside advert bodies on purpose like how RTLs ended up with roof box bodies before sale so London Transport could get rid of the all the non standard features in one go