Bus Shite

Felly Magic

@Zelandeth, there were a lot of Dominant 1 and 2 coaches on Malta and Gozo.  Some come up for sale occasionally, and I remember seeing a Dominant 1 for sale on Gozo for a long time.  Their condition was normally I believe pretty good bodily as they seemed to get very thorough rebuilds - no doubt not all of them of course.  Costs a bit to get them back but might be less than the rebuild cost.  All came off the road a few years back but tended to be family owned and many survived in sheds (lot of sheds in Malta to keep vehicles and other stuff out of the sun).

That Leyland Cub belongs/belonged to a racer in the VWDRC, used as accomodation / party bus / den of low moral compass.

I think he's now upgraded to the other one. Can't find the picture I had of it with dildos stuck to the windscreen.

b016f39a9d2af991cf0b65af5151e3be.jpg

That makes sense, it is in secure storage close to Santa Pot raceway.

LEYLAND CUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Known in this neck of the woods as a Bathgate bin lorry.  

I have a (loose) connection with a preserved example, it's awful, not even shite, just shit. Horrific driving position, dreadful brakes and an automatic.  Not BLs finest hour.

I have a (loose) connection with a preserved example, it's awful, not even shite, just shit. Horrific driving position, dreadful brakes and an automatic.  Not BLs finest hour.

Not the idiot Fairchild's 'box of fags'?

Looking at the steering wheel and binnacle - I say AEC Reliance. Body? Not sure but I'll hazard a guess at Harrington.

Tail lights - Hella units as fitted to Plaxton Panorama Elite up to 1973. The ones that get me are the Plaxton Daimler Roadliners. The chrome surround around the tail lights incorporated vents to get rid of the heat from the rear mounted Cummins V6.

Spotted this Alexander Volvo B6? lurking out in Ballinalack, Co Westmeath.

37220351602_5fca4fa0bf_z.jpg

IMG_20170920_121044 by E Honda, on Flickr

20866792522_74f936b476_z.jpg

ridgway by dublintruckandbusphotos, on Flickr

14370274366_2372c036b6_z.jpg

'1D' traffic - Ridgway 96-D-64508 by Jonathan McDonnell, on Flickr

It's one of the P-TGD batch of Volvo Olympians new to First Glasgow, likely to be the only survivor of about 60 of the type.

More interestingly for me... whats the Merc? Looks like a London MA which really is an interesting find.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Having been brought up on AEC's, nothing BL made was particularly good, but the Cub really was a complete and utter pile of shite, even the manual box ones..

A firm I worked for bought a couple of these in the mid 80's but to ensure they were even more shite than usual they had them bodied by that well known coachbuilder, Smith, of Leicester.  Smith were better known for building welfare buses and mobile libraries, and our two handled like they had a library full of books on the roof.  They skipped all over the road when you dared put the breaks on, but the piece de resistance was the boot.  Instead of a normal rear boot, these had the whole of the rear ended hinged at roof level.  Great for loading shelves of library books, or wheel chairs, bollocks all use for normal operations. Even better was the fact that unless you remembered to tie a piece of rope around the internal handle, when you let go the rear went so high you couldn't reach it. You had to climb inside and swing off the rear window rail, Tarzan like,  to get the back to come down again.

In a previously unrecorded act of bravery  vandalism, somebody broke into the yard one winter night and decided to set up camp in one of the Cubs.  To keep warm (according to the report the rozzers allegedly gave the boss) they decided to light a fire on this particular cub, which unfortunately got out of hand.  By the time anybody else on the industrial estate saw the flames and rang the fire brigade, the flames had sadly spread to the other cub.  Fortunately, that very night, all the coaches that were in the yard had been parked at the opposite end, away from the Cubs, so whilst both were saldy destroyed, only one other vehicle, which just happened to be the oldest vehicle we had, suffered some minor heat damage.  It's wasn't enough to stop me taking it to Hartlepool the next morning.

As drivers, we were obviously saddened by the loss, and decided that if the Police could identify the culprits we'd cheefully by their beer for the following week.